Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, new games needed!

Hi all,
    My first post and probably a question you get asked all of the time, but be gentle, I'm desperate.

I've recently updated my PC to a laptop and as a result none of my Battlefront games work anymore (Nvidia 8000 series issue). This upset me to the point of depression and has left a giant hole in my gaming needs.

I've installed my old Eastern and Western front games, they dont work (Vista) and I cant find a patch.

SO, I'm after some new turn based games (definately no RTS), they MUST have the PBEM option, 3d would be nice, any period in history will do.

A good list would be appreciated. I've searched Google, but its a mine field of rubbish.

Many thanks

I'd look at the Combat Mission series and Steel Panthers: World at War. Great games, CM is pretty cheap now and SP:WaW is free.

Welcome to the Forum!!
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

You reeeeeeeeeeally want to visit Matrix Games.

http://www.matrixgames.com/

They are home to some of the industry's best designs.

After there, check out HPS

http://www.hpssims.com/

They also sell some of the hobby's finer choices.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
        I'd look at the Combat Mission series
        The Combat Mission series are from Battlefront.

I will second the HPS recommendation. Good stuff.
        "I am not an atomic playboy."
        Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I've got the Combat mission series, been a follower since the start. BUT the laptop wont play them as Nvidia have some flawed drivers, which are causing ALL of the Combat mission series to run poorly or not at all (They dont seem interested in fixing it either). That includes Shock force, which I've purchased and runs pants.

Just had a quick look at Matrix games, brilliant site. Thanks.

Comment

Both Matrix and HPS have plenty to choose from INCLUDING..."JOHN TILLER'S CAMPAIGN SERIES". Already on the order list!

Any games you'd recommend from these sites?

Comment

Originally posted by downhillmonkey View Post
              Both Matrix and HPS have plenty to choose from INCLUDING..."JOHN TILLER'S CAMPAIGN SERIES". Already on the order list!

Any games you'd recommend from these sites?
              You might also want to try AGEOD's American Civil War if like the period, its distributed in the US by Matrix. Wargame of the Year 2007 imo.

And still from Matrix, if you're into operational games, give a look at TOAW III, War in the Pacific and Battlefront, all great games.

Comment

Originally posted by downhillmonkey View Post
                Thanks for the suggestions, I've got the Combat mission series, been a follower since the start. BUT the laptop wont play them as Nvidia have some flawed drivers, which are causing ALL of the Combat mission series to run poorly or not at all (They dont seem interested in fixing it either). That includes Shock force, which I've purchased and runs pants.

Just had a quick look at Matrix games, brilliant site. Thanks.
                About your driver probs mate...

PC Gamer (DVD) always has a free disc and this includes Nvidia drivers.

The latest disc i have has "Nvidia Drivers 94.24" in the toolkit section... would they help at all?

Gary

Comment

OK thats American Civil war added to. Think that should keep me and my buddies going for a while.

Thanks all, great help, great forum.

Comment

Thanks for the offer but I'm fully up to date with my drivers (Asus ones anyway), if you look at the Battlefront forums there's tons of people with the same problem, seems to be the 8*** series cards. I'm running a 8600 GT. Runs Medieval 2 well beyond what I expected but my Combat missions just wont work.

Do you know of a work around other than putting the Anti analising thingy to x2, which makes the game playable but at around 4 fps.

If you do you could be the Holy grail to all Combat mission users with the same fault.

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
                      The Combat Mission series are from Battlefront.

I will second the HPS recommendation. Good stuff.
                      My bad . Sometimes the brain and hands are running at different rates .
                      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
                        My bad . Sometimes the brain and hands are running at different rates.
                        Hey, I understand. (I've got 2 little kids, so my brain often shuts itself down quite on its own.)
                        "I am not an atomic playboy."
                        Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X