Where are they? wargames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are they? wargames

How many titles can you think of, that count as "well where are they" titles.

By this, I mean, titles you know about, that are being worked on, that you might have an interest in, but you have long since decided to stop caring about who says what in connection with release "estimates".

I once would have had Combat Leader from Matrix Games on this list, but that title is a dead end until the day I have it in my cyber cart about to be purchased.

I am wondering whether Computer World in Flames will ever show up. I recently saw a "coming in 2008" remark, but it's easier to believe my son will be an honour student, than that release date

That's my list, anyone got any other titles that seem to have wandered off the radar screen?
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

If you're talking computer games, I'm wondering if Days of Wonder will ever get the Memoir '44 online game up and running.
    http://www.militarywargaming.com

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Well computer games are not the only culprits I suppose.

All you have to do is mention MMP, and you can then get a massive dose misery proffered

Comment

I hear you on the MMP thing....but I console myself with the knowledge that at least SOMEONE is trying to keep the ols Avalon Hill experience alive. Thanks Curt Schilling!

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

I'm lucky, I bought ASL back when it was all 1st edition.

I'm missing some of the 21st century add ons, but essentially I own all of basic ASL.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
            I'm lucky, I bought ASL back when it was all 1st edition.

I'm missing some of the 21st century add ons, but essentially I own all of basic ASL.
            What I didn't have originally from back in the horse and wagon days, I started to collect on EBay; and now MMP. I still have a couple modules I need to lay my hands on.

I've strayed away from the AH stuff, and have been playing Lock 'N Load and Panzer Grenadier. But I always have the ASL binder handy, and poke through it from time to time. A friend at work has asked me to play Squad Leader, and its a real blast from the past! I have a fair idea how I'll be spending a lot of retirement time in 15-20 years (man, that sounds far away!)

Comment

ASL to me is essentially "insurance".

If tomorrow I couldn't play more than one wargame, I'd still have the best one ever made

When not including some of the monstrosities, it's one of the smaller footprints on a table, and when not including some of the monstrosities, can often have a shorter set up and shorter playing time than most wargames out there.

To give an example, it is a lot longer to play another love of mine Advanced Third Reich, and takes a much greater space.

ASL (if you have the main nations) is also capable of providing a nearly endless sum of new games. Advanced Third Reich is generally like Chess, mostly the same game each time.

I haven't been playing much in recent years, and the reason is ME, I have no one else, or influence to blame other than I have not made it high enough a priority.

Comment

That's a very good point. I will never "not" own ASL...it means too much to me. I recently picked up a shrink wrapped binder/rules on EBay as a spare.

Comment

I'm wondering when this one will come out. It was talked about maybe ten years ago almost and I think I pre-ordered it almost two years ago.

Comment

Ah yes, VotG, the current target.

I'm sure it will show up someday. It's just that MMP subscribes to 1970s release speeds

It seems like everything they do takes forever, right up till they release it in numbers doomed to go out of print just before the last 100 slow pokes get their copy.

It's usually those last 100 blokes complaining, that drives the rest of the pack insane

You would think MMP would have learned by now, and just add 100 copies to anything they release, and hide those 100 copies for at least 365 days just so they can conveniently "re release" them and suddenly look so utterly responsive to their customers.

I mean, it would be a bloody lie, but who cares? I'd do it if it was me

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X