Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tide of Iron or Memoir 44?

Hello Everyone,
    My name is Chris I'm new here. I was considering getting a World War II board game and the 2 I here about the most are Tide of Iron and Memoir 44. Which do you think is the best one?
    "He's a straight shooter with upper management written all over him"

It's an age range issue.

Memoir is likely better for a younger age range.

Tide of Iron looks to be a lot more "wargame" than Memoir is. So if you consider yourself a "wargamer" and are just looking to get a current board game of the beer and pretzels sort, you likely want Tide of Iron.

You'll want Memoir if you plan to play it against kids though.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Hey thanks a lot. I will not be playing against kids for sure. I've been leaning with Tide of Iron. I want some flexibility in tactics but I do not want to spend more then 4 hours on a game.

Comment

If it's any help, if I had the cash, I'd be picking myself up a copy as well.

So it measures up with me at least. And I'm not an easily pleased wargamer.

Comment

Yeah the price is pretty hefty. If Fantasy Flight is commited to supporting it I think it would be a good innvestment the quality looks awsome.

Comment

Well, this is the first time I have to disagree with you, Paul. Memoir is certainly a fine game to get kids interested in wargaming (and WWII), as the mechanics are fairly light; but I consider it a serious addition to the adult gamer, especially those that tend toward WWII. The beauty of the game is that you can play a scenario in 30-45 minutes, so multiple games playing each side are possible. Its great if you only have an hour or so, and don't want to eat up an entire afternoon...but also can accomodate all day gaming, if you so choose. The simplcity comes in its card driven nature; but this also makes it the perfect vehicle for solo play (which is how I paly it mostly). The expansions, the player's comunity on the Days of Wonder web site, and the endless scenarios (also on that site) are all wonderful. You even have a design editor on the site to design your own scenarios. I think it's really worth your hard earned cash. I highly recommend it!

Tide of Iron is also fabulous, but very time consuming. I own it as well, and its the perfect vehicle for game groups.

I'm a wagamer (right down to the Avalon Hill era games, to Axis & Allies Miniatures, to RISK), and I get something different from each of these games, but I wouldn't classify M44 as kid-specific.
            http://www.militarywargaming.com

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Originally posted by Whiterook View Post
              Well, this is the first time I have to disagree with you, Paul. Memoir is certainly a fine game to get kids interested in wargaming (and WWII), as the mechanics are fairly light; but I consider it a serious addition to the adult gamer, especially those that tend toward WWII. The beauty of the game is that you can play a scenario in 30-45 minutes, so multiple games playing each side are possible. Its great if you only have an hour or so, and don't want to eat up an entire afternoon...but also can accomodate all day gaming, if you so choose. The simplcity comes in its card driven nature; but this also makes it the perfect vehicle for solo play (which is how I paly it mostly). The expansions, the player's comunity on the Days of Wonder web site, and the endless scenarios (also on that site) are all wonderful. You even have a design editor on the site to design your own scenarios. I think it's really worth your hard earned cash. I highly recommend it!

Tide of Iron is also fabulous, but very time consuming. I own it as well, and its the perfect vehicle for game groups.

I'm a wagamer (right down to the Avalon Hill era games, to Axis & Allies Miniatures, to RISK), and I get something different from each of these games, but I wouldn't classify M44 as kid-specific.
              Although I love risk and Axis & Allies I find myself wanting more but certainly not on the ASL level

Comment

Look into Lock 'N Load:Band of Heroes and the Panzer Grenadier series. oth excellent chit-style games; but not anywhere near a anal as ASL. Don't get me wrong, I'm an ASLer too!

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

So far, NOTHING beats the block game Victory the blocks of War from Columbia Games for ease to learn, ease to play, ease to set up, and REAL wargame feel.

Multi player friendly, expandable to many players. Not confined by a single map, excellent point buy system, fog of war aspect and playable in a short time span.

It has ONLY one weakness. Totally no solitaire aspect.

I have a 6 player count of blocks for it, but until I have another player, I have nothing

Fortunately the local hobby store (where I saw Tide of Iron opened under glass), has an "open to the public" gaming area available (town has not had that before).

So I have some hope.

Comment

Block games seem to be the rage, and look like a lot of fun. I saw some setup for the first time at Origins Game Expo this past summer, and really had my curiosity up. Kinda looked like Stratego on steroids.

Comment

Not long ago I was confronted with the same question, which of these two games should I get? I can't afford both. So after reading up on these games I concluded that for what I want ToI (Tide of Iron) is the better choice for what I'm looking for in a game system. Below is a list of things that might help you decide whats most important to you.

Note: Even though I haven't played Memoir 44 I do own Battlelore which incorporates similar game mechanics and is also made my Days of Wonder.

If you are looking for a game that:
                      • You can have multiple match's in a single night/afternoon, then I suggest Memoir 44
                      • Is pretty easy to learn/teach too people new wargames, then I suggest Memoir 44
                      • Tactics more so then luck decides the victor, then I suggest TOI
                      • Already has a broad range of content offering different theaters of war for you to choose from, then I suggest Memoir 44.
                      • You can get jump on from the start and continue to grow a collection with, then I suggest ToI. (Days of the Fox) is set to release in February
                      • Offers a better understanding of more advance wargaming (ASL), then I suggest ToI.
                      • Has an editor for creating your own scenarios, Both have one, But I believe ToI is a better platform for scenario creation.
                      • Better suited for the player to create/modify their own set of rules, then I suggest ToI.

Hope that helps
                      Last edited by Taranis; 19 Dec 07, 00:27.
                      "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
                      - General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Hmmmm, I wasn't aware ToI had a scenarion editor...I must look at their site a little more closely.

Comment

Originally posted by Taranis View Post
                          Not long ago I was confronted with the same question, which of these two games should I get? I can't afford both. So after reading up on these games I concluded that for what I want ToI (Tide of Iron) is the better choice for what I'm looking for in a game system. Below is a list of things that might help you decide whats most important to you.

Note: Even though I haven't played Memoir 44 I do own Battlelore which incorporates similar game mechanics and is also made my Days of Wonder.

If you are looking for a game that:
                          • You can have multiple match's in a single night/afternoon, then I suggest Memoir 44
                          • Is pretty easy to learn/teach too people new wargames, then I suggest Memoir 44
                          • Tactics more so then luck decides the victor, then I suggest TOI
                          • Already has a broad range of content offering different theaters of war for you to choose from, then I suggest Memoir 44.
                          • You can get jump on from the start and continue to grow a collection with, then I suggest ToI. (Days of the Fox) is set to release in February
                          • Offers a better understanding of more advance wargaming (ASL), then I suggest ToI.
                          • Has an editor for creating your own scenarios, Both have one, But I believe ToI is a better platform for scenario creation.
                          • Better suited for the player to create/modify their own set of rules, then I suggest ToI.

Hope that helps
                          Thanks alot, from all of the posts here I find myself leaning with Tide of Iron

Comment

Originally posted by Whiterook View Post
                            Hmmmm, I wasn't aware ToI had a scenarion editor...I must look at their site a little more closely.
                            You can find the ToI Scenario Editor HERE along with a guide for how to create and upload scenarios and the official extended scenarios along with fan created scenario database HERE
                            Last edited by Taranis; 19 Dec 07, 17:50.
                            "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
                            - General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Wow, thanks Taranis. Just got home from work and saw your post...I opened the two links, and they look very cool indeed. I'll have to spend some quality time with it over my Christmas vacation!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X