Game Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Company

Armchair General Forums should start a Game Company.

I think we could make pretty good games here.

I have a few ideas for games already.
    Maj. Gewi Redhawks Jones Jr.

Civil War RPG

Hold the line. Hold the line we few men will kill whats in front. Its our Division that will hold or we all die. I say hold this Line

Or move along the lines of Command Magazine and include a small game in the magazine for an increased subscription rate. Is Command still in publication, that was a good magazine. Not that I dislike ACG
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Well I was Saying If ACG wanted to start one. I could get a Team started

Civil War RPG

Hold the line. Hold the line we few men will kill whats in front. Its our Division that will hold or we all die. I say hold this Line

Comment

Some how I can't see it.

Not that there are not enough talented persons inside the membership, as I know there actually ARE some game designers in the membership.

But there seems to be enough companies out there currently (well at least as far as wargaming goes).

My only need, is for the companies that DO exist, to strike out into uncharted territory maybe.
        It seems wargaming is either shooters (and it's all about high power computers), RTS games (which is not my thing) and board game emulating designs (and frankly I think we are running low on topics).

The console market seems only interested in shooters, and and the PC scene seems obsessed with graphics over actual wargaming.

Yes I am flogging this, but frankly I'm only interested in gaming on my DS these days. Just 4 titles spread among literally hundreds of non wargame DS titles. I think that shows there's room for more.

I'm not sure how the Panzer Tactics guys managed to deal with the cost factor of making their game, but it proves that it can be done. So, I just wish more people would get busy doing more.

Frankly you can make new shooters with new pretty graphics till hell freezes over and I will fail to care. And you can pretend that RTS designs are fun if you want, but I'm just not interested.

I figure if the DS is not exploited soon, I'm likely just going to stop worrying if any new electronic wargames ever get made, and I will just go back to board games.

But as far as ACG goes, I prefer them to be a source of information about wargames, not a source FOR wargames. It keeps them unbiased.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Thank you for you input its duly noted

Civil War RPG

Comment

I took for granted you meant board wargames. Did you mean computer games?
            If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I was thinking both. Both more so Computer games

Civil War RPG

Comment

Could also do Computer Game, with board war games

Civil War RPG

Comment

I am Guessing no one likes this idea. The games you always wanted to make. I Was trying to Start a Group i guess its a no go. Problem is no money to start out with thats going to be a Problem

Civil War RPG

Comment

"Problem is no money to start out with thats going to be a Problem"

Sorry for the laughter you might be hearing even from this distance

No money will kill ANY idea.

But seriously, look around you.

AGW by Schwerpunkt, great game, faithful to the old school board gaming look, but a computer wargame all the same. Created by a single individual. Ron decided he wanted to make it, and he did.

Strategic Command. great game, faithful to old school board gaming look. It too is a fine computer wargame. Created also by a single individual. Hubert wanted to make it, so he did.

Gary Grigsby is a well known name to computer wargaming. I bet he spent most of his time while creating those titles, with almost no help. Probably had to get up and get his own coffee too

Matrix Games seems like a powerhouse publisher these days. But, I bet they are mainly a collection of game designers mainly working solo or next to it. The credits likely are partly illusory making it seem like it was a room full of team members. They probably exchange a lot of emails, but don't spend the day together. I'd be surprised if they all met daily in an office. I happen to know plenty of them don't even come from the same country.

Welcome to the reality of wargaming.

You won't be getting rich, you won't be working in a nice office building with a business name and a receptionist. Chances are you'll be doing the game designing after coming home from your real job, and after you have done your household tasks. You'll be working into the night, and probably at the cost of being in bed with your wife.

If I had a million bucks to invest in a wargame, chances are I might hire a Ron or a Hubert or a Gary type, buy them a decent computer and tell them I wanted a wargame, and give them the equal of a great daily wage to make it for me. I'd likely provide a budget to hire maybe 2 staffers to cover in a few areas they figured someone else could do better.
                    In the end, I'd likely end up at a Matrix Games type place and asking them to publish it.

That's if I had a millions bucks and an obsession to own a game I had instigated.

But this is a forum, people come here to talk (text based of course).
                    I never came here to work. I doubt any of us came here to work.
                    If you are serious about a wargame being made through Armchair General, I think the correct approach is to write up a complete proposal, and then take it privately to Eric.
                    He might even be interested.

Hey we all have ideas for games
                    Now, are you going to act on it?
                    Last edited by LRB; 17 Nov 07, 06:57.
                    Life is change. Built models for decades.
                    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Thank you, I was just talking my dad about that last night going to pick my mother up at work. He said, " He had three dreams.
                      1 wanted to be a Soldier, he became one.
                      2. wanted to be a preacher, he became one
                      3. wanted to be a cowboy, hes a Native American.
                      Only way to going to fulfill your dreams is getting out there and doing it."

Thank you, your the 2nd person in 2 days that said that.

Civil War RPG

Comment

Actually, Paul got me to thinking. There are a lot of "indie" game developers out there. Sourceforge is a great place to spend some time if you're looking for new games or you're thinking you might want to roll your own:

http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/t...hp?form_cat=83

That is the "Turn Based Strategy" section, currently contains about 1200 games that people are writing on their own and making available for free. Most of them are probably not the finished product, so if you find one you like you might even be able to sign on with the developer.
                        "I am not an atomic playboy."
                        Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Thank that is a good site

Civil War RPG

Comment

I also sent Eric, the Idea.

Civil War RPG

Comment

It's called bootstrapping.
                              “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X