Trouble Getting Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble Getting Started

I got Pacific Storm when it came out, but my computer couldn't handle it. I have a new one, a Dell XPS with most of the bells and whistles. The game won't load. I click on the icon and the screen boots up at quarter size with a blinking underscore. Then the preferences come up in their own window and the underscore disappears. After selecting the preferences, they go away and the original screen stays blank. I don't understand the problem. In a nutshell, this sucks! I just wanna play!

Has anyone got any ideas on the subject?

Hi Biscuit, it's so annoying when things like that happen.
    Is your new machine running Vista? Maybe PS doesn't like Vista.

Comment

http://pacificstorm.cdvusa.com/

Have you seen this? Some patches and updates

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I am running on Vista. Can I get around it if that is the problem?

Comment

Thanks for all your help! I tried to download the patch, but it wouldn't go through. Then I tried the link for support and it wouldn't go through either. It is a starting point, so thank you very much!

Comment

I was going to suggest that you try to change the compatibility of PS like the way it is possible to do with games running on XP (but I don't have Vista so I don't know if it is possible)

Alternatively, check out the link I posted above. The official site has a patch 1.4 that's related to Vista problems. Why not download it and read the readme file contained therein to see if it might help your problem.

Comment

Sorry, ignore the second part above. I see you've already done that.

I'm running a lap behind here. :-)

Comment

I found the patch on another page and am downloading it as we type. Thanks again for your help and I will update you once I get into the patch.

Comment

And the hits just keep on coming!

Here is the message I am getting from windows when I click to open the download:

Compressed (zipped) Folders Error

Access to the Compressed (zipped) Folder 'C:\Program Files\Buka\Pacific Storm\PacificstormV1_4Patch.zip' is denied.
                  I am open and grateful for any suggestions.

Comment

Ok, total guess here. A shot in the dark

Go to the folder that the file is in.
                    Open its properties and click the "security" tab
                    Make sure you have all permissions
                    Click "Advanced". Make sure you are set for "Full Control"

Comment

I did all that and got the patch to load, but it still won't go. If you come up with anything else, I am all ears. But, it sounds like we are scraping the bottom of the barrel. Thanks for all your help and the security thing was dead on for getting the patch to load.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                        I am open and grateful for any suggestions.
                        Ditch Vista and switch to XP. Seriously, if your computer is recently purchased, you may be able to contact Dell, complain up one side and down the other, and ask them to send you Windows XP system recovery disks for your system. (You could even threaten to return it.)

As with any new flavor of Windows, Vista is at the point now where it sucks (or so I have heard... it's nowhere near any system that I am responsible for maintaining). Expect it to suck until *at least* service pack 1, if MS's past history is any predictor.
                        "I am not an atomic playboy."
                        Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

I may not be able to switch it out. I am only just now getting to my games becuase they were in Texas. I got the computer in July. Its still new to me though. I will contact Dell and see what they have to say. One of my ex-students sold it to me, so Britney may be ready to pass it on and see if she can do anything.

Thanks guys! In the meantime: Are there any good Naval PC games that are Vista compatible?

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                            I may not be able to switch it out. I am only just now getting to my games becuase they were in Texas. I got the computer in July. Its still new to me though. I will contact Dell and see what they have to say. One of my ex-students sold it to me, so Britney may be ready to pass it on and see if she can do anything.

Thanks guys! In the meantime: Are there any good Naval PC games that are Vista compatible?
                            Call repeat CALL Dell customer service. Vista has been so problematical that Microsoft has some retrograde offer available(as Dell also does). I build pcs. I always give the customer the option of XP or Vista but I advise them Vista may give them problems depending on the software they intend to install.

Good Luck

Comment

Hi Biscuit, one last throw of the dice:
                              Are all the bells and whistles on your new machine the right bells and whistles?

http://pc.gamezone.com/gamesell/p23784.htm

Windows 2000/XP Processor Intel Pentium 4 1700 MHz or similar Memory 512 Mb Video 3D video card, with 64 Mb memory (GeForce Ti4200, or similar) Free Space 1500 Mb Sound DirectX 9.1 compatible sound card CD-ROM 8x Additional programs DirectX 9.0 or better Controls mouse, keyboard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X