Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winners of my prize draw!

Further to this thread...I asked:

What was the name of Darth Vader's Star Destroyer as seen in the opening sequence of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope?

The correct answer to the question was Devastator.

The Devastator was an Imperial I class Star Destroyer, and became Lord Vader's flagship during the hunt for the stolen Death Star plans. She remained with Lord Vader as a part of Death Squadron during episode V, participating in the Battle of Hoth, but was destroyed during the Battle of Endor under concerted Starfighter attack.

Wrong answers included:

Imperial. The Devastator was an Imperial class Star Destroyer (an Imperial I to be precise) but this was not the name of the ship seen in episode IV.

Exactor. I had to research this one, but it seems the Exactor was the second Imperial I Class SD to be built and did indeed serve as Darth Vader's flagship for a while, but this is not the ship seen in episode IV.

Executor. The Executor was a Super-Class Star Destroyer, and is famous for being Darth Vader's flagship in both episode V and episode VI - however at the time of episode IV she was not built and she is not the ship seen in the opening scene.

Death Star. Although the Death Star is referenced in the opening crawl of episode IV, it was not a Star Destroyer. The entrant may have been confused by the Death Star's planet-destroying capabilities and the term "Star Destroyer" - however this does not imply a vessel that can destroy a star, but a Destroyer that travels amongst the stars. Furthermore, the Death Star, despite its enormous power, could not destroy a star.

Avenger. The Avenger was an Imperial II class Star Destroyer (notable for extra weapon mounts than were fielded in the earlier Imperial I class). She formed part of the Death Squadron as seen in episode V and is famous as being the vessel which picked up the Millennium Falcon as it emerged from the Hoth asteroid field, only to later "lose" the Falcon in the middle of a pursuit (the Falcon magnetically attached itself to the side of the command tower and later slipped away during a routine trash disposal exercise prior to the Avenger entering Hyperspace). She later served as the communications vessel at the battle of Endor - however she is not the ship seen in episode IV as the first Imperial II class SD's did not enter service until a few months after the Battle of Yavin.

Now for the list of winners!

Rather disappointingly, I only had a total of twelve entries, and of those entries, only 6 were correct. This is a terrible shame as I had 18 prizes to give away, and so to recognise those who took the trouble to devote ten seconds of their time to entering, I will be sending prizes to ALL entrants.

Isn't that nice of me?

The winners are:

RichardS
    eddysterckx
    verbaluzi
    Mirrorshades
    CPangracs
    Gurra
    Dhuffjr
    Cap. Teancum
    Dazooz
    Wolster
    Beatnik
    Jrapaport

Please can all winners supply me with their snail-mail addresses and I'll get their prizes sent ASAP!

Thanks for your participation!

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Yes, it is very nice of you. This comes from someone who got it right, so I' not bias on this one.
    All warfare is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

I got it right as well, nice to know that a couple of hours googling when I should have been working wasn't wasted!!!!

Wolster

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post

Wrong answers included:

Imperial. The Devastator was an Imperial class Star Destroyer (an Imperial I to be precise) but this was not the name of the ship seen in episode IV.

Dr. S.
        Whoops - seems I got it wrong.

and so to recognise those who took the trouble to devote ten seconds of their time to entering, I will be sending prizes to ALL entrants.

Isn't that nice of me?
        Dr. S.
        <suspicious>
        Yup - but what evil plan lurks behind this nice facade
        </suspicious>

Please can all winners supply me with their snail-mail addresses and I'll get their prizes sent ASAP!
        Dr. S.
        Aha, so it's to get our real addresses ! Probably to set up a subsidiary secret base from which to conquer the planet.

Well, I don't mind

Eddy Sterckx
        Perckveldstraat 12
        1800 Vilvoorde
        Belgium

Thanks for your participation!
        Dr. S.
        Thanks for organizing it!

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Comment

grrr... I wish I would have caught this... oh well.
          The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Rather disappointingly, I only had a total of twelve entries, and of those entries, only 6 were correct. This is a terrible shame as I had 18 prizes to give away, and so to recognise those who took the trouble to devote ten seconds of their time to entering, I will be sending prizes to ALL entrants.
            I think it would make so much more sense if the winning 6 got 3 sets of prizes each. See, that way it ends up all nicely and neatly (6 x 3 = 18). :P
            "I am not an atomic playboy."
            Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

A better idea would be if the winning six got 2 sets and the other 6 got 1. But that would mean none for Doc S. We don't want to make him angry, or all 12 might get a free tour of the dino pits!!!!!!
              Wolster

Comment

Originally posted by Wolster View Post
                A better idea would be if the winning six got 2 sets and the other 6 got 1. But that would mean none for Doc S. We don't want to make him angry, or all 12 might get a free tour of the dino pits!!!!!!
                I can do that.

(lucky I haven't opened any yet isn't it!)

Dr. S.
                Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

The more the marrier, I'm ok with anything you decide Doc. You've proved time and again you're a fair man. I trust your judgment. Do you still have my address? LOL!
                  All warfare is based on deception.
                  Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X