Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is "Made in China" a death sentence to game gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is "Made in China" a death sentence to game gear?

Was just reading a thread at Wargamer, and a comment made me ponder, is all this lead hysteria (and hysteria might be the right word in some cases), a lurking time bomb for some manufacturers?

They were talking about a company in distress over sales slump of miniatures that are metal based (not lead, that's ancient history now), and the discussion eventually wandered to discussing plastic pre painted minis, and how they basically seem to come from China (where it seems ANYthing plastic does).

I wonder, does anything W.O.C. make, coming from China, use lead paint?
    Why wouldn't it?

But more importantly, are you parents out there about to suddenly round file your collection, rather than risk having junior chew the head off an orc, and die of lead poisoning?

Because in most cases, parents, like most of the buying public it seems, become totally herd animal in thinking, when something like this happens.

"Ohhhhh nooo I am not buying Junior any more Axis and Allies minis, those things are from China, and we are having him get rid of the ones he has, and pick something new to play with, like pet goldfish".
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

I don't see the connection between the reality of China's failure to follow safety standards in place for decades and whether or not wargamers will suddenly chuck it all and take up grass farming or something.

children young enough to chew on gaming miniatures are at more risk pof swllowing them than anything else. There's nothing like the orc getting lodged sideways in the worng spot to spoil your day.

If China loses her markets for shoddy business practices because of lead paint, imagine the real risks to her own population, who aren't protected by our public safety laws. How many Chinese a year, including infants, develop neurological damge due to Pb poisoning?

Comment

China's folly of course might be some other asian nation's opportunity hehe.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I know as recently as five years ago, the vast majority of consumer production facilities in China were owned, through fronts, by the PLA with profits flowing to the PLA. This has been a big reason I avoid buying Chinese products. If true it would also say there is unlikely to really effective intervention although they will try to avoid extremes in order to keep using European and American business to fund their military.
        Boston Strong!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X