WW2 Grand Strategy Buyers Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 Grand Strategy Buyers Guide

Larry Levandowski has sat down to write an apples-to-apples comparison on some of the latest Grand Strategy titles. Head on in to read the briefing!

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/artic...&page=1&cat=59

Good guide. Of course I'm a big fan of HOI2 Doomsday (sorry Aries) but I'd like to give 'Making History' a try. I never heard of that one.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Additional Info

Hi everyone, just a few points that I learned after putting the finishing touches on this guide...

Paradox has a game set in the 19th Century called Victoria. An expansion of this game called Revolutions, is available directly from Paradox. This expansion allows you to play the 19th century, through WWI, and export the results into Hearts of Iron 2 Doomsday. So grogs interested in playing day by day from 1836 to 1950s, now know how to answer the proverbial question about what they would need bring to a deserted island. I haven't tried this myself, but am tempted.

Battlefront's Strategic Command 2 will shortly have an expansion coming out called "Weapons and Warfare". The expansion will have many new features and units. Fans of the game will certainly want to check it out.
      Larry Levandowski

Join the Army and see the Navy
      sandwich board in the Marx Brother's Duck Soup, 1933

Comment

Originally posted by larizona View Post
        Hi everyone, just a few points that I learned after putting the finishing touches on this guide...

Paradox has a game set in the 19th Century called Victoria. An expansion of this game called Revolutions, is available directly from Paradox. This expansion allows you to play the 19th century, through WWI, and export the results into Hearts of Iron 2 Doomsday. So grogs interested in playing day by day from 1836 to 1950s, now know how to answer the proverbial question about what they would need bring to a deserted island. I haven't tried this myself, but am tempted.

Battlefront's Strategic Command 2 will shortly have an expansion coming out called "Weapons and Warfare". The expansion will have many new features and units. Fans of the game will certainly want to check it out.
        Considering the full game of Doomsday can take weeks, I can't imagine Victoria. I am going to take a look at it thought .

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
          Good guide. Of course I'm a big fan of HOI2 Doomsday (sorry Aries) but I'd like to give 'Making History' a try. I never heard of that one.
          Making History has "some" detractors, but to be honest what game doesn't?

I've got it, it's an ok game. Anyone that like HoI "should" like Making History. I like the fact it uses turns, but otherwise, it is a fairly open ended game.
          Life is change. Built models for decades.
          Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
          I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
            I'm just surprised you got the first post in this. I expected Aries would be in first about the evils of pausable real time.

The Victoria bit does sound interesting... I might have to check that out.
            “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer View Post
              I'm just surprised you got the first post in this. I expected Aries would be in first about the evils of pausable real time.

The Victoria bit does sound interesting... I might have to check that out.
              Nah, not all pausable real time is "evil". I think Panther Games games are some of the best in computer wargaming in the industry.

And just having turns won't protect ya. I think Strategic Command 2 was a major let down. A total blunder after SC1 being so well received.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
                I think Strategic Command 2 was a major let down. A total blunder after SC1 being so well received.
                Hi Aries, just curious, what don't you like about SC2?
                Larry Levandowski

Join the Army and see the Navy
                sandwich board in the Marx Brother's Duck Soup, 1933

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer View Post
                  It was a race of course . Pausible real-time is one of the aspects of HOI that makes it so good I think.

Comment

Hi Aries, just curious, what don't you like about SC2?
                    It's mainly cosmetic.

Tiles, screw tiles, the hexes worked fine. Tiles was a bloody crock, and I don't care if it allowed attacked from 8 locations instead of 6.

The grid was enough to induce headaches, so it might as well have never been included.

The maps blew, lamest maps I have ever seen in a computer wargame to some extent.

Nice pretty unit icons, but, hardly enough to make me happy.

I think SC2 was all about it having an editor. But, I rarely get excited about needing to wait till fans provide me with something decent to play.

I think Hubert could have taken and made SC2 a much cleaned up SC1 version 2 but without the few gaffes SC1 had, and been a lot better off.
                    But it seems he decided to just re invent the wheel, and really he dropped the ball as I see it.

I likely might have stuck it out with SC2, but when Slitherine released Commander, well SC2 immediately became no longer wanted.

Comment

Keep in mind 'World in Flames' is scheduled to be released by July 2008 and is, IMO from playing the boardgame, the best strategic level WW2 sim ever.
                      http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=110

Comment

Originally posted by macgregr View Post
                        Keep in mind 'World in Flames' is scheduled to be released by July 2008 and is, IMO from playing the boardgame, the best strategic level WW2 sim ever.
                        http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=110
                        I would disagree.

I think A World at War (board game) played with Warplanner, is a much superior Grand Strategy experience

But I likely will add WiF ala computer version to my inventory, IF it comes out in 2008. I'm too old a wargamer, to think July 2008 is reliable.

Personally, I would have dropped the AI, and told the "oh but I need that moron AI to play against" crowd to get over it, and if they were desperate for global grand strategy, they could always just pick a computer wargame that started as one.

But until the game actually goes on sale, well seeing is believing.

Comment

So grogs interested in playing day by day from 1836 to 1950s, now know how to answer the proverbial question about what they would need bring to a deserted island.
                          Wow... that would be quite an adventure. May have to will that one to the grandkids to finish off.
                          "I am not an atomic playboy."
                          Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Vicky (Victoria) is OK, to get it into HoI you'll need the expansion Ricky (Victoria Revolutions I think it is/was called). The translation between the two in the interwar years is not very clean cut and prone to lots of AI interpretation. I was all over a potential EU-Victoria-HOI world history trilogy until I read up on the Paradox forums about how the conversion from Vic to HoI didn't always pan out as expected.
                            If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Nice article and should be very useful for beginners.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Today, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Today, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Today, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X