Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Worlds Collide

When Worlds Collide

"In August 2007, more than 200 academics and professionals gathered to hear pioneers discuss the state and future of video games."
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

I was actually ready to sit and listen to that. But when the first 5 minutes were barely audible mumblings indicative of the person filming the event not having a clue how to do it, I stopped.

So now this is the second time I have seen actual professionals, not even having as much skill at putting film online, as the atypical bored teenager does with their weird YouTube creations.

Hopefully video gaming takes a different form of skill than making a simple video, or the industry is screwed unless the teens take over.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
      I was actually ready to sit and listen to that. But when the first 5 minutes were barely audible mumblings indicative of the person filming the event not having a clue how to do it, I stopped.
      I've read one other comment about the sound quality here, but honestly, there's nothing wrong with the video's audio. Yeah, I know you don't want to hear that. I hate calling technical support to be told that it's all my fault, too. But I can hear every word spoken very, very clearly.

If you can't also hear every word clearly, then you either need to turn the volume up, reconfigure your mixer, or buy a new sound system. Other than suggest you hope for a transcript, and as much as I'd love to help you out, there's nothing I can do to improve your listening experience.

Comment

Well I'm going to download it, and let my system play around with it.

But this much I know, I've got way more video and audio codecs on my machine than is the norm.

I'm used to playing media that is obscure actually.

I'm also used to playing amateur crud that plays well and without fuss, so when something provided by professionals can't keep pace easily and readily with what should be second rate junk, one has to scratch their head and wonder

I don't normally call tech support in my case, I usually AM tech support hehe.

Turning the volume up, it was at 75%, that suggests that the source was the problem especially when everything else plays just fine.

Reconfigure the mixer, if everyone else's content works fine, it suggests the source was the problem.

New sound system, as is apparent I would hope, I am currently already enjoying a considerable range of media from a considerable range of sources, and it appears that the source might be the problem

I recently discovered that a DS emulator's sound was no good, it certainly wasn't my machine hehe.

Comment

You don't need to defend your position to me. You're experiencing audio problems. Thousands of other listeners, including me, are not.

I can't identify the problem you're actually experiencing, and so I can't help you out. But I can guarantee you that the audio can be heard very, very clearly.

I'll leave the troubleshooting to you.

Comment

Solution found, I downloaded the video, works fine once it is just a file on my system, which means the transmission from site is the issue somewhere (which is a non issue to some extent).

Going to check it out tomorrow for my morning time killer.

Comment

Thank you for finding a solution! I'll recommend that to anyone else who experiences similar problems.

Comment

Well the video was deadly dull, but I guess that's speakers at cons fer yeah hehe. I've sat through a few discussions in my time that would only interest those specifically interested.

The video went really long, but I sat through it all, and while there were a few spots where audio just faded out (speakers fault), or they were less than clear in their manner of speaking up and clearly, there were a few moments that were interesting.

This video will not interest 9 out of 10 people me thinks, but if you consider yourself the sort that likes hearing things from the horse's mouth it was ok.

The video itself could have been better, and at the 44 minute mark it appeared the camera was only just being set up after the fact and I almost said screw it if this is the level of preparedness for the event. But it became sorted out before I tuned out.

Again, audio was the big challenge, because it appeared the video was made under conditions nearly doomed to fail. Audio sources coming from many angles nearly killed it. A person listening will go from it being suddenly too loud to suddenly nearly inaudible inside of a few seconds. That will frustrate nearly anyone.

Comment

Aye, I compared the streaming vs the downloaded versions, and noticed a distinct difference; the downloaded copy is a deal clearer. Plus I used headphones. Lots of good info in there!
                  Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

I've sat through a few discussions in my time that would only interest those specifically interested.
                    For the 200+ academics and professionals in the audience, the discussion was incredibly fun and useful. The panelists had a great time and the conference organizers who invited us were more than pleased with the outcome.

... and I almost said screw it if this is the level of preparedness for the event.
                    Without financial support or gain and with a skeleton crew of two to three volunteers, we were able to produce an event that was comprised of a panel of luminaries, an audience of more than 200 academics and professionals, time and space at a major convention center during a major conference, catering, and significant post-event interest. You might consider revising your opinion of our "level of preparedness," especially when you consider that we are not obligated to provide video/audio of our free events.

Nevertheless, thank you for your criticism of the video/audio. I'll pass your thoughts onto the volunteer responsible for video/audio production.

Comment

"Without financial support or gain and with a skeleton crew of two to three volunteers, we were able to produce an event that was comprised of a panel of luminaries, an audience of more than 200 academics and professionals, time and space at a major convention center during a major conference, catering, and significant post-event interest. You might consider revising your opinion of our "level of preparedness," especially when you consider that we are not obligated to provide video/audio of our free events.

I can understand your feelings there, but, still no defense for the video. If you could pull off all the rest, why not manage to KNOW where the camera needed to be Come on, no one's going to cut you much slack there.

As the saying goes, anything worth doing...

But, if you want to see abysmal, go look here at W.O.C. and check out their YouTube creation advertising a product they expect to launch mid 2008

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/welcome

That video is embarassing crap, and there is NO other way to phrase it. And with Hasbro's pockets, inexcusable.

Comment

Simple things only seem simple in retrospect.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan Ramsay View Post
                          Simple things only seem simple in retrospect.
                          Sometimes a spade is a spade too.

I filmed my nieces wedding all with the use of a Sony digital camera held aloft by hand while sitting in a church pew.

And I won't make no bones about it, it looks 5 times better than that video at the con.

Sometimes, a person should just know when to accept their failures. It happens to all of us.

Comment

Sometimes, a person should just know when to accept their failures. It happens to all of us.
                            I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I create an exhaustive list of "lessons learned" after every event. Despite everything that went wrong, the event was still a smashing success. The audience said so. The panelists said so. The conference organizers said so. Even the press said so. I'm secure and confident in knowing our event surpassed all the expectations of our target audience, so I just don't know what you hope to achieve with your insults. Good luck though!

Since you're a fan of proverbs... Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan Ramsay View Post
                              I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I create an exhaustive list of "lessons learned" after every event. Despite everything that went wrong, the event was still a smashing success. The audience said so. The panelists said so. The conference organizers said so. Even the press said so. I'm secure and confident in knowing our event surpassed all the expectations of our target audience, so I just don't know what you hope to achieve with your insults. Good luck though!

Since you're a fan of proverbs... Never look a gift horse in the mouth.
                              The audience said so .... not all that hard to achieve with "fans".

The Panelists said so .... bias does that.

The conference organizers said so .... again, bias does that.

I'm just an outside observer suggesting that your enthusiasm is your problem.

My son can handle a camera better, I've seen him do it, he's 13.

It's not an insult, it's an impartial observer with no real connection saying you need to get real.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X