VMWare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare

Has anybody out there installed a vmware player on there pc in order to play w98 games? Does it work well? Any down sides to this? I was thinking that this may be a good sollution to my inability to play any of my old games.
    i yam what i yam and thats what i yam!

I use VMware since 1996. Game support is marginal, forget about anything 3D. While they have minimal Direct3D support now I haven't been able to find a single game that would run.

What kind of game do you try to run?
    - 2D DOS?
    - 2D Windows?
    - 3D Windows?

Your best bet are probably the emulators in Windows.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance,but where are the emulators in windows?

Comment

Also,ive heard you can install w98 on the vmware player which will alow you to play all w98 games?

Comment

VMWare is okay, but depending on the games you want to play, you may have some successes and some failures. It really depends on the individual games -- if they are written for DOS, you will probably be able to run them using a program called DOSBox (which is a sort of DOS emulator). If you have a program that was written specifically to run in Windows, you could try VMWare or also the compatibility mode in Windows XP. I have only run across a very few older games that don't work in either DOSBox or Windows XP. If there are one or two games in particular that you want to play that you can't run like that, you could pick up an old Pentium box off eBay and set it up with Windows 98.

Example: Panzer General. The original version was written to run in DOS, and runs fine in DOSBox. There was an updated version (Panzer General for Windows) that will not run in DOSBox, but can be made to work in Windows XP. Panzer General 2 was just written for Windows, and runs fine in XP in compatibility mode.

If there are particular games you are wondering about, you can post them here and I'll see if I've got any of them running. (I'm one of those oldgamer/abandonware geeks.)

Here is more info on DOSBox:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosbox
          http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php?page=0
          "I am not an atomic playboy."
          Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

I recentlt bought an old copy of Fallout that i would like to play.All i can get it to do is show me an install screen,when i try to install everything just goes black,i cant even manually install.I wonder if i would have better luck with the DVD-ROM.

Comment

Ask, and ye shall receive:

http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=1593

Fallout and Fallout 2 will also run under DOSBox... though you need an extremely beefy computer to make it happen. I've not had any troubles with either one in WinXP, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Patterson View Post
                Also,ive heard you can install w98 on the vmware player which will alow you to play all w98 games?
                Again, that depends on the type of game. It's called "VMware workstation", BTW.

A 2D DOS game will usually but not always run.

A 2D Windows game will almost always run, the most problematic thing is the safedisk copy protection which usually breaks things. However, that can often be solved by downloading a no-cd patch.

A 3D Windows game that requires 3D hardware will usually not run, there is only minimal support that e.g. doesn't do Combat Mission.
                Last edited by Redwolf; 30 Jul 07, 06:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Patterson View Post
                  Excuse my ignorance,but where are the emulators in windows?
                  Wine (free Windows layer), Cedega (commercial variant of Wine), Bochs (free, for DOS). There are a couple more DOS emulators, you can probably make any DOS game work.

Wine and Cedega have 3D support for both Direct3D (DirectX) and OpenGL and work for surprisingly many OpenGL games and less numerous but more surprising Direct3D games.

However, some bitching whining complaining needs to be expected when a Linux beginner tries to tackle these. E.g. it's not going to work to switch to Linux to get better support for old Windows stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
                    Again, that depends on the type of game. It's called "VMware workstation", BTW.
                    VMWare Workstation is a paid-for product; the VMWare Player is free, as is VMWare Server:

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
                    http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

The VMWare player doesn't allow you to set up or install a new operating system -- it can only run ones that exist already. If you want to install Windows 98, you would need the VMWare server app.

There is also VirtualPC, available as a free download from Microsoft, which does pretty much the same thing as VMWare:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

I've used both, they are different from the perspective of a sysadmin doing geeky server/linux stuff, but probably more or less the same for installing Windows 98 and playing games.

Comment

WOW! all of this help has really been great. I'm going to try some of these things today,let you know.

Comment

Well,after looking at the options i installed Dosbox.In their list of games Fallout was said to run well on this system.Ive tried every "mount" configuration that they list,the game simply wont install.most of their faq asume that the game can be installed but not played.I cannot asighn it to a folder,it will not install.I have typed in every mount configuration that Dosbox recemends,this has become something more for me than playing a game,im on a mission from God.If it takes the rest of my LIFE this game will work.........well...guess thats it,back to my ball and chain.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X