Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten Most Influential RPGs of Our Time

Ten Most Influential RPGs of Our Time

"The ActionTrip staff compiled the following list, taking into account a variety of CRPGs, RPGs and MMOs that made the greatest impact on modern-day PC and console gaming."

10. Fable
    9. Final Fantasy Series
    8. Baldur's Gate Series
    7. Planescape: Torment
    6. Fallout
    5. Ultima Series
    4. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    3. Diablo
    2. The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
    1. World of Warcraft
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Diablo??

Click... click... click... click... clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick... click clickclickclickclick... click...

And what's the deal with leaving out classics like the Wizardry series, and SSI's Gold Box games? At least they got Fallout and Ultima right.

I also have to wonder what they mean by "influential". I'll agree that FO and Ultima have influenced the genre overall, but I'm not so sure about a lot of the others.

EDIT: I'd also say Daggerfall over Morrowind... and in fact, probably even Arena as the grandfather of the "sandbox" games.
    Last edited by mirrorshades; 15 Jun 07, 11:17. Reason: More ranting!
    "I am not an atomic playboy."
    Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

i agree, what do they mean by 'influential'?

i would consider Diablo to be influential, because almost every hack-n-slash rpg made since then gets compared to Diablo.

this list is interesting, cause you could make an argument for most games, except Fable. as much as i liked Fable on the pc, it added no9thing to the genre. at its core, its just a hack-n-slash rpg with some nice graphics.

Morrowind would be the evolution of Daggerfall, so would KOTOR be for the Baldur's Gate series. one thing is for sure, rpg fans most likely have heard of all those games!!

Comment

The Ultima series, at least up to V, was great. IIRC IV was one of the first games to track player actions and, better yet, the end game was self-fulfillment instead of the generic 'kill foozle'.

I would replace WoW with Everquest since Evercrack is the grandaddy of MMORPG.

I agree that the Gold Box series should be on there, as well as Zork.
        If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Yeah, I agree, EQ defined the excessive nature of online gaming.

Other games might have seemed "great" as games, but nothing really compares with a game referred to as a form of addictive drug.
          Life is change. Built models for decades.
          Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
          I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
            I would replace WoW with Everquest since Evercrack is the grandaddy of MMORPG.
            Heck no. Ultima Online! (Or, Neverwinter Nights... or Islands of Kesmai... or MUDs....)

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
            I agree that the Gold Box series should be on there, as well as Zork.
            Not sure I'd consider Zork an RPG -- at least, not primarily. Probably Rogue should be in there... coming up on 30 years old now.

Comment

This list is pretty weak...
              “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

IMO, Ultima Online would be it for graphical interface games, though EQ showed that it could actually be massively multiplayer.

Comment

Leaving out Wizardry I tells me this was done by a bunch of young studs who know little of the full history of RPG
                  Boston Strong!

Comment

There are no 1st gen MMORPGs on the list like EQ or UO. If they hadn't been successful, WoW would never have been born.

Fallout, Ultima, Baldurs, Diablo, WoW, Fable... I can see those... no Might and Magic? No Bard's Tale?
                    If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Bard's Tale!

Comment

RPGs are like atheist rage made into videogames

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                          “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                            so not a RPG fan i take it!

Comment

I'm not an atheist so I don't get it.
                              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X