Computer Wargaming: Real Time vs. Turn Based

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Wargaming: Real Time vs. Turn Based

(Not intending to disenfranchise the boardgaming crowd, but my wargaming experience has been almost entirely at a computer screen.)

Not that I have played a myriad of wargames, but the ones that I have played have been mostly turn based. I am just now getting into the real time genre (Total War, Imperial Glory, a little Warcraft 2), and am kind of overwhelmed. For someone used to taking his time when contemplating moves (and the ever-loved "undo move" command), I guess it amounts to culture shock. I also get caught up in watching the little guys loading and firing their weapons, or watching the cavalry ride off... that I tend to forget that, say, my artillery unit has been overrun by a cavalry charge and the guns have been captured.

I'm just curious to see what other folks prefer, and to find out why. I am starting to like the real time games more than I thought I would... though I manage to get my tookus handed to me repeatedly unless I massively stack the odds in my favor. Not to say that I fare much better in turn based games, but that's fodder for another thread.

To be a little more specific, I'm not looking for info on "management" or "grand strategy" games that deal with resource allocation and management; just the nitty-gritty action on the battlefield. (Unless the games have both, like Total War or Imperial Glory.)

So... which do you prefer, and why? Feel free to cite specific examples from games.
    Real Time
    27.03%
    Turn Based
    72.97%
    "I am not an atomic playboy."
    Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

You should have added WEGO to your list, which is about halfway between the two. I've chose turn-based though, guess that's my boardgame background speaking, real-time wargaming is great but does not allow the use of a massive number of units in a satisfactory manner yet.

Comment

Once upon a time I might have gleefully jumped on picking turn based, and proceeded to slag the hell out of real time.

That was yesterday.

Today, I want to know, PC, console, or hand held. I am seeing an escalating number of games released for the Nintendo DS, and wargaming as we know it is showing a lot of interesting signs of evolution indeed.

Wargaming to me is also one of the following: table top miniatures, boardgame mode, computer shooters, computer arcady (new term for silly RTS types, get used to it), computer non turn (new term for intelligent designs like those from Panther Games) computer 3d (combines turn using [WEGO] and non turn using), computer boardgame emulating (anything that look just like a board game).

It's no longer to just call them Real time or Turn based, too many exceptions to account for.

For me, I am currently likely to pick anything if you put it on my DS. Otherwise I am likely just going to refuse to give up my board game emulating antiques.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

i chose turn based, but i agree that WEGO would be a better option if it's strickly a wargame.

i love RTS games, but i dont believe real time is a good format for a realistic wargame simulation unless it's small scale.

Comment

Originally posted by jayedub7423 View Post

i love RTS games, but i dont believe real time is a good format for a realistic wargame simulation unless it's small scale.
          Try out 'Highway to the Reich' or 'Conquest of the Aegean' by Panther Games (published by Matrix). They are real-time and pretty realistic by gaming standards.

I think 'real-time' is the way to go as long as the AI, for both friend and foe, is of a high enough standard. The only issue is online gaming since many wargamers find it hard to make sufficient time for a fulfilling session of real-time play against another human being.
          Signing out.

Comment

Turns with a pause option?

Comment

Wego.

Comment

I like pausable real-time such as in HOI but choose turn based of the options offered.
                If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Ok, I'll bite... since I didn't know there was another option. What is WEGO?

Even my usual first stop (Wikipedia) was unhelpful. I see where it means something like "we both go at the same time", but my brain can't quite reconcile how that works. Isn't that basically real time, then?
                  "I am not an atomic playboy."
                  Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
                    Ok, I'll bite... since I didn't know there was another option. What is WEGO?

Even my usual first stop (Wikipedia) was unhelpful. I see where it means something like "we both go at the same time", but my brain can't quite reconcile how that works. Isn't that basically real time, then?
                    Both sides assign orders which are executed simultaniously.
                    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
                      Both sides assign orders which are executed simultaniously.
                      It's the closest to being realistic that any pbem is going to get,
                      Signing out.

Comment

As I love playing Combat Mission WEGO would be my choice!
                        "The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."- General Heinz Guderian

"Oakland Raiders: Committed to Excellence"

Comment

Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
                          Try out 'Highway to the Reich' or 'Conquest of the Aegean' by Panther Games (published by Matrix). They are real-time and pretty realistic by gaming standards.
                          I guess Panther games offers some of the most realistic wargames out there, and this is not by any "gaming standards". I have yet to encounter a game that simulates command & controll and the dynamic process of combat in any better way than Httr and Cota.

WEGO is the next best thing. Turn based games usually otherwise just end up like chess, and its mostly about who moves his pieces in a timely and efficent manner to beat his opponent. Sure they might be fun, but they are pretty far away from realism if its about simulating combat on a tactical or lower operational level. Combat is mainly about decision making, and without time some time pressure and constantly changing situations then you IMO cant have realism.
                          "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

It's all about the scale.

Real time past squad level is a fool's game. It doesn't matter whether anyone things the game is "fun", it will remain unrealistic.

Turn based under company level is almost certain to see the abuses of gamey behaviour get in the way of realism the most.
                            Life is change. Built models for decades.
                            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I am a dinosaur... not chronologically but based on my gameplay selections.

99% of my gameplay is IGOUGO with an emphasis on board, PBEM HPS, or minatures. I like real time CPU games but can not get myself to invest the time to get really proficent at the clickfest aspect of some of the games. Back in the day I actually signed up for an AOL account solely for the ability to play Harpoon online. I guess you would call it sliding/real-time with the clock speed set to that of the slowest player. I really enjoyed the way they handled game speed.

If someone would like to recommend a game/community I would definitely consider giving it a wirl esp with a "guide".
                              Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Battlefield Tours for Wargamers
                              Normandy 2007
                              ACW Border Wars 2008
                              Bulge 2008

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X