Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deus Ex named "top PC game of all time" - PC Zone

Expert panel crowns Ion Storm title in PC Zone poll

1/05/07 – Deus EX, a seven year old sci-fi game, has been crowned the best PC game of all-time in a new poll carried out by UK games magazine, PC Zone.

The sci-fi role playing and shooting game was created in 2000 by Ion Storm, with a development team led by industry legend Warren Spector. Acclaimed by experts for its plot and interactivity, the game tops the specially-commissioned list of 101 PC games.

PC Zone polled the opinion of leading game journalists to create the rundown, which features in the magazine’s June issue, on sale now.

Other games in the top ten included both Half Life and Half Life 2, as well as strategy titles, Civilization IV and System Shock 2. The acclaimed 1990 adventure game, The Secret of Monkey Island also made the list, alongside the influential 1993 first person shooter, Doom.

PC Zone best PC games of all-time - Top 10

1. Deus Ex
    2. Half-Life 2
    3. Civilization IV
    4. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    5. Half-Life
    6. Rome: Total War
    7. System Shock 2
    8. Doom
    9. Battlefield 2
    10. The Secret Of Monkey Island

PC Zone editor Jamie Sefton on Deus Ex:

“Deus Ex remains a truly unique gaming experience – a page-turning interactive sci-fi thriller and the greatest step the PC has ever made towards total immersion in plot, character and interactivity. It’s a deserved winner of PC Zone’s 101 Best Games Ever.”

Check out the full rundown in the latest June issue 181 of PC Zone, on sale now, priced 5.99.

The magazine includes a free World Of Warcraft trading card, an exclusive Guild Wars in-game mini-pet, a 9GB games DVD and the scoop on Sports Interactive’s new game Football Manager Live.
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Hardly surprising, Deus Ex certainly has the most faithful fan base. Just yesterday I was reading a fresh thread on a different forum discussing it. Apparently very very deep story with many "wow, they put in this obscure detail that apart from me nobody will notice" moments.

I am surprised that Half-Life 2 came out in front of HL1, but hey, it's a journalist voting

Comment

i'm happy to see system shock 2 on that list. but i think Deus Ex is a good pick.

Comment

Sorry Deus Ex was a great game but I got fed up with it gameplay wise. It started getting very awkward control wise...
        The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

It always sucks that these lists never have any real wargames on them

Oh well, that's what happens when a game is a part of a very select audience.

Was cool to see Civ IV so high up.
          Life is change. Built models for decades.
          Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
          I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom View Post
            Sorry Deus Ex was a great game but I got fed up with it gameplay wise. It started getting very awkward control wise...
            Exactly. I don't remember why exactly I stopped playing, but now that you mention it, it had control issues of various kinds.

However, some of it should be addressed in later mods, and of course a more beefy machine helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno View Post
              10. The Secret Of Monkey Island
              Now *that's* a good game.
              "I am not an atomic playboy."
              Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

As usual there's some good choices on the list and some bad ones.

I wouldn't have put Deus Ex at the top either. I certainly wouldn't have put the "Look at our Physics and Spiffy Graphics" HL2 over the first Half-Life.

Props for the pick of Monkey Island though.
                “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Fallout changed the RPG genre heavily getting off the one track style of play heavily and doing it correctly
                  The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Comment

I think it's a bit slanted towards newer games. Both HL 1 and 2? Get real. And although I cannot stand it, I think World of Warcrack should be on there. Doom? Absolutely. Monkey Island? Sure. Battlefield2? I think 42 deserves a place instead. Note the list is almost devoid of any sims. Falcon, M1TP, etc..

And where is Zork?
                    Welcome to the adult world. Kinda sucks when you have to be the responsible ones and take all the pot shots from the chagrined lefties and mongoloid celebrities, who don't know their collective posteriors from sound economic policy. - 98ZJUSMC

Comment

Originally posted by Arkane View Post
                      I think it's a bit slanted towards newer games. Both HL 1 and 2? Get real. And although I cannot stand it, I think World of Warcrack should be on there. Doom? Absolutely. Monkey Island? Sure. Battlefield2? I think 42 deserves a place instead. Note the list is almost devoid of any sims. Falcon, M1TP, etc..

And where is Zork?
                      Totally Agree. There are some great games that are missing. But every list is a bit biased.

Comment

Deus Ex is my favorite game of all time, end of story, no questions asked.

I'm glad to see it get the credit it deserves.

I'm a fan of Pong.

Comment

There is only one game on that list that i have never heard of, and that was Deus Ex! LOL. I guess when your not into Sci-Fi, you dont pay attention to games like that. Im mostly a WWII & some RPG gamer so it didnt suprise me that i never heard of it. It was nice to see "Civ IV" make it up so high as stated above. Also "Rome Total War" made a good showing as well. It would of been nice to see some of the more classic wargames make the list though.
                          http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

In related news:

Next Deus Ex Game Confirmed
                            “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

interesting. isnt project snowblind the unofficial sequel to DX:Invisible war?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X