Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phase lines and Wargaming

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Phase lines and Wargaming

    Since the real world lack hexes , lines are instead used to plan, execute and follow up all kind of actions, defensive as well offensive.

    A phase line (PL) is a line drawn on the map and utilized for control and coordination of basic military operations. They are usually an easily identified feature in the operational area.

    My question is if there are any board-, miniature- or computer games that enable you to establish or define phase lines and command your troops after them in an almost realistic manner? Hexes are all nice, but have anyone encountered any attempts on rules using lines instead as a mechanism involved in the movement of units?


    The ACG Tactics 101 example of Phase lines
    "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

  • #2
    I would like to see it done, and I think it might not be impossible for Panther Games to employ that.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Aries View Post
      I would like to see it done, and I think it might not be impossible for Panther Games to employ that.
      I am with you there. The only thing missing is the actuall lines being drawn on the map. The units allready advance in a manner that would make it possible.
      "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

      Comment


      • #4
        Perg, you should try The Gamers' Tactical Combat Series, it uses an order system where you actually have to draw a sketch of your plan on a photocopy of the map called Op Sheets, giving precise orders to your units, like start lines, phase lines, axis of advances, reserve positions using military symbols etc... and then conduct the real actions on a classic hex based wargame map.

        Check the series page at MMP:

        http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/tcs.htm

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
          Perg, you should try The Gamers' Tactical Combat Series, it uses an order system where you actually have to draw a sketch of your plan on a photocopy of the map called Op Sheets, giving precise orders to your units, like start lines, phase lines, axis of advances, reserve positions using military symbols etc... and then conduct the real actions on a classic hex based wargame map.

          Check the series page at MMP:

          http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/tcs.htm
          How come this system never cam up on my radar before? I have spent the last hour looking through all the games in the series and I am impressed with what I have seen. Have you played it yourself?
          "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Pergite View Post
            How come this system never cam up on my radar before? I have spent the last hour looking through all the games in the series and I am impressed with what I have seen. Have you played it yourself?
            I have two volumes, Bloody Omaha and Matanikau. The Op Sheets sytem is what attracted me to the games in the first place, haven't played them in ages though, the scale is a bit too low for me (platoon level) and you can manipulate a few battalions at best.

            Last edited by Boonierat; 31 Mar 07, 02:49.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
              I have two volumes, Bloody Omaha and Matanikau. The Op Sheets sytem is what attracted me to the games in the first place, haven't played them in ages though, the scale is a bit too low for me (platoon level) and you can manipulate a few battalions at best.
              Yes the OP sheet sounds interesting, brings some realism as well as a good basis for AAR´s. How does it work, do you get penalized if you stray from your plan, or is there a order delay system involved if you want to give new orders?
              "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pergite View Post
                How does it work, do you get penalized if you stray from your plan, or is there a order delay system involved if you want to give new orders?
                Yes, there's a whole set of rules regarding Op Sheets, you can write new Op Sheets during game to adapt to changing tactical circumstances but they are not implemented automatically, you need to make die rolls one a Command table, modified by staff ratings etc...the Op Sheets rules have probably been improved over the years and they work best when playing against another human opponent.
                The Gamers have another series using this system, the Civil War Brigade series, although in a simpler form, where you have to send written orders to your commanders, much like it was done back then.

                Comment


                • #9
                  You can download the rules in pdf at the series' site if you wanna have a look at them.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ATF/BCT/AATF use phase lines, and I think decisive action does, too.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                      Perg, you should try The Gamers' Tactical Combat Series, it uses an order system where you actually have to draw a sketch of your plan on a photocopy of the map called Op Sheets, giving precise orders to your units, like start lines, phase lines, axis of advances, reserve positions using military symbols etc... and then conduct the real actions on a classic hex based wargame map.

                      Check the series page at MMP:

                      http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/tcs.htm
                      Excellent game system! I have both Bloody Omaha and Objective Schmidt. The artillery system is interesting in that it tracks individual rounds. Omaha is quite the monster, I mounted the maps on cardstock and it takes up almost an entire pool table.
                      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
                        ATF/BCT/AATF use phase lines, and I think decisive action does, too.
                        But arent all those lines just graphics overlays on the map, and its really just up to you if you want to bother with them or not?
                        "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

                        Comment

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X