• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Games, Forever Cool

Classic Games, Forever Cool

How old-school video games are making a real comeback
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Well it also seems Xbox arcade is doing its dangdest to bring a lot of the old games back to fruition as well.
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

The thing with a lot of old yet cool games, is today's hand held actually has considerably more power and graphics capacity than earlier computers.

I recently bought a Nintendo DS title called Clubhouse Games. You know, not one of the 42 included games would be mistaken as anything other than just lite simple fun, but on a hand held they are just fine.

I think a lot of the old classics could easily see more life on hand helds. And hand helds have sufficient control functionality to run them it seems.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
        The thing with a lot of old yet cool games, is today's hand held actually has considerably more power and graphics capacity than earlier computers.

I recently bought a Nintendo DS title called Clubhouse Games. You know, not one of the 42 included games would be mistaken as anything other than just lite simple fun, but on a hand held they are just fine.

I think a lot of the old classics could easily see more life on hand helds. And hand helds have sufficient control functionality to run them it seems.
        I'd like to agree with that. Wish my wife would see it that way. I bought her a Nintendo DS Lite this past Xmas, along with Brain Age, Tetris, Super Mario Bros, and Clubhouse Games--and she basically shoved everything else aside and has been just playing the heck out of Brain Age.

Since she plays puzzle games (and also Heroes of Might & Magic III) on the PC all the time, I asked why she doesn't play Tetris and the other games on the handheld. She said, "It's too small." Later she said she really doesn't like Tetris.

Funny thing is, she absolutely hated Sudoku puzzles when she tried doing them manually with a pencil. But now she's a Sudoku addict, though she'll only do those puzzles on the DS Lite. Something about the interface turned a distasteful experience into something she enjoys.

I think she buys into the Brain-Age contention that when it comes to brainpower, you have to use it or lose it. I do too, but I don't think doing Sudoku puzzles works your brain any better than games like chess or bridge or many others. (Ironically, Sudoku was added to the Brain Age package as sort of a bonus or afterthought anyway.) She'd probably exercise her brain just as well if she started playing Clubhouse Games for a change.
        --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Some of them getting boring after a while.

Tetris, is one oldie that I cant seem to like.

The old nintendo Mario games are amazing. Espcially Super Mario Bros 3. Which I own.

Duck hunt for the original nintendo is nice too.
          yeah!

Comment

There is one aspect of the DS that is unfortunate though.

Some of them can't be played if your vision is less than ideal. It's the graphics. I can't focus correctly after playing Age of Empires for more than 15 minutes. So I usually play it for a few minutes between computer tasks that require I wait for a few minutes like moving a file or burning a disc.

Then some are motion sensitive. I have found playing the new neaval warfare game Steel Horizon is not easy in the back seat of a car hehe. To hard to hit the graphic with the stylus while being jostled hehe.

I find Clubhouse games though is both easy graphically to look at, and not requiring much stylus accuracy for most of them (although Bowling or Billiards is not easy while being jostled).

Some people though, it must be a technology thing. I showed my wife Clubhouse games, as I know she likes Solitaire, and I thought to myself, sheeeeit there goes all my battery charge now hehe. But she probably won't be interested in the DS much. Just not her thing. She rarely bugs me to use the computer as well.

Even my son doesn't use his much. Then again, he's always playing his online game on the computer. He's hardly even scratched the surface of the Final Fantasy 13 game he got for christmas (he used to be almost unable to stop playing his playstation hehe).

Me though, I have been playing a DS game more often than any game on my computer lately.
            Just depends on what gets to a person I suppose.
            Life is change. Built models for decades.
            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

When they port Europe Aflame to a handhend, Mantis will be THERE...

"When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Mantis View Post
                When they port Europe Aflame to a handhend, Mantis will be THERE...

Meanwhile, there are these games for handheld PDAs:
                http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=322

http://panzer-assault.en.softonic.com/palm
                --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X