In Defense of Lighter Wargames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aries View Post
    Things Les would fix if he could snap his fingers and make it so.

All the myriad cool counters that never existed for Squad Leader, suddenly have all the post Cross of Iron design elements stripped off and made into Cross of Iron based versions.

I have always believed, the only thing missing from Squad Leader, was everything that wasn't American Russian or German.

Imagine 52 boards available for Squad Leader, not 4.
    Imagine ALL the current nations open for Squad Leader, not just 3.
    Imagine the rules are no more complicated than Squad Leader plus Cross of Iron.

Yeah sure, along the way ASL has been refined and tweaked and altered and evolved, but sometimes perfection is nothing more than a person in your life that is just such an anal nitpicking little prick too
    Amen Brother! I always thought as well that COI was the epitome of the SL system. I have SL, COD & GIAOV too, but COI was always my favorite rule set. I have never bought any incarnation of ASL, mostly because im not a billionaire, and partly because i love the original 4 games in the series.

I have Up Front as well and the whole relative range chit idea never bothered me any. I thought the game was revolutionary IMHO. Id kill to get my hands on a copy of Banzai & Desert War. I still have my General Magazine that covered the release of Up Front with a very cool series replay in it and a couple of new scenarios in it as well.

As for light wargames, i enjoy them as well. I play Risk, Axis & Allies in several versions, Carrier Stike, Chopper Strike, Sub Search, and several other light board games and look forward to picking up Memior '44 when its reprinted. I play these new and older light games with younger members of my family to slowly introduce them to wargaming, and older friends who arent "into it" the way i am. It gives me a break from my more "heavy" war games.
    Last edited by KGPanzerschrecK; 28 Mar 07, 01:37.
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

In my opinion a good wargame, at least if it's a computer wargame, should always be "light". I think the most common mistake with wargames is to think that great detail and complexity means depth and realism.

-40 Ton Hammer

Comment

Originally posted by 40 Ton Hammer View Post
        In my opinion a good wargame, at least if it's a computer wargame, should always be "light". I think the most common mistake with wargames is to think that great detail and complexity means depth and realism.

-40 Ton Hammer
        I have no complaint with that.

Sometimes detail kills off a game by making it too limited in approachability by those not quite of the "hardcore" variety.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Panzer Assault

Looks like Panzer General is back, this time for handheld PDAs.

It's renamed "Panzer Assault," and here's an ad about it:
          http://software.brighthand.com/product.asp?id=6856
          --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Panzer General was the best game of that series by a mile! Loved playing it!
            "The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."- General Heinz Guderian

"Oakland Raiders: Committed to Excellence"

Comment

Very nice.

It adds to the stuff Matrix Games also sells for PDA type devices.
              Life is change. Built models for decades.
              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
              I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X