Wargame Theory - Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wargame Theory - Maps

Are there any games out there which force the commander to consider the effects of the terrain which may be incorrect? It seems like wargames in general give each side of a battle full and complete terrain data for the entire field of battle (for boardgames there is really little choice). There should be a way to represent the vagaries of warfare more acurrately, including providing awful intel to an attacker going into unfamiliar territory. I'm sure for example when the Germans invaded the USSR they probably came across whole villages, or rivers, or whatever that weren't on their maps or that their aerial recon failed to notice.

I guess the question is how this could be modelled in a game? Or, has this already been done?
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
    I guess the question is how this could be modelled in a game? Or, has this already been done?
    Not that I can remember. It could be done for example by using several layers of map, one showing the areas you're sure of and another showing those you have only partial or no infos about (it would give a real role to recon units).

Comment

You could have a tile-based game where random terrain is laid down as you advance -that might be cool?

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

I don't know if you can consider Civ 4 a wargame but terrain changes through out the game; Forests and resources appear and disappear, and cities are created and destroyed without player knowledge unless the said player has direct observation of the terrain.
        If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I suppose it's built in by those occasional ones that make the fog of war be a completely black area.

It would be interesting to see something like Boonie described, basically multiple layers of a map with each lower level giving more detailed/accurate information.

Bottom level: accurate data

Mid level: "I could have sworn the river was 100 yards farther north..."

Top level: "There's a river there?"
          “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
            Are there any games out there which force the commander to consider the effects of the terrain which may be incorrect? It seems like wargames in general give each side of a battle full and complete terrain data for the entire field of battle (for boardgames there is really little choice). There should be a way to represent the vagaries of warfare more acurrately, including providing awful intel to an attacker going into unfamiliar territory. I'm sure for example when the Germans invaded the USSR they probably came across whole villages, or rivers, or whatever that weren't on their maps or that their aerial recon failed to notice.
            I have been hammered with that lesson myself. What looked like a small stream on the map in the middle of a wheat field turned out to be a four meter wide three meter deep dike. I had ordered my mechanized company to advance straight over that field. Luckily it was just a paper excercise and the lesson was exactly the value of terrain scouting ahead of any planning.

I do belive it could be done quite easily if it was confined to the status of roads and of course bridges and other crossings.

The depth in mobility offered in for example COTA is a good example on how bad judgment on the terrain can be critical in a game. I usually tend to clog up any major roads due to optimism. Columns get halted due to bad cohesion, the weather gets bad and it starts to rain, visibility drops and darkness falls. On top of this there is harassing fire from enemy artillery. I can have entire motorized brigade stopped up for half a day in muddy mountain passes if I am nor carefull.

In the wargame of my dreams you have something like a battalion sized WEGO-turnbased game (Combat Mission) where the view is slaved to the commanders actual view. You have your command vehicle and can ride up to the front to look for yourself if you want. The action you cant personally oversee will be directed on a map and followed over radio with some delay of course.

Something simmillar exists in the Total War games where your view over the battlefield is restriced to the generals unit. Its a total different experience playing that game without the usual godlike perspective.
            "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Optional map sizing

[QUOTE=Pergite;629462]I have been hammered with that lesson myself. What looked like a small stream on the map in the middle of a wheat field turned out to be a four meter wide three meter deep dike. I had ordered my mechanized company to advance straight over that field. Luckily it was just a paper excercise and the lesson was exactly the value of terrain scouting ahead of any planning.
              In the game I've designed, the main maps have 4K sectors. However, when the Soviets want to fortify an area, the sector increase to 1K and all sorts of extra terrain show up, brooks, windmills, statefarms, secondary roads, small forests, graineries, marshland, wheatfields, etc.

I do belive it could be done quite easily if it was confined to the status of roads and of course bridges and other crossings.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• BorderRuffian
                Polls that oversample Democrats
                by BorderRuffian
                Economist/YouGov poll of July 26-28, 2020, has Biden leading Trump by 49-40

Sample size-1500

Party ID
                Democrat-521 (35%)...
                Today, 08:44
              • casanova
                Robi P.
                by casanova
                The Austrian soldier Toni P. of the Radetzky barack in Horn Nether Austria was forced by his commander to make an march with his comrades in 3th August...
                Today, 02:27
              • casanova
                Beirut
                by casanova
                Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                Today, 00:47
              Working...
              X