No announcement yet.

Any Genius Computer Nuts Out There?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just be sure to get "Core 2 Duo", not "Core Duo", the older mobile dual-core. The new one is faster.

Intel really earns the price for most confusing

Still, it is faster than AMD64 at the same clockspeed and depending on application much faster.
    Last edited by Redwolf; 18 Jan 07, 18:50.

Comment

Some Free Advice I Just Got

From a client I just Took Home. When Buying a New Computer, Search For The Following Minimum Things:

Intel CPU (Not a Celeron)

512 MB RAM (w/At least 1 GB if I Can Afford It)

128 MB Video Card

No On Board (or) Shared Video

AMD's Are Good But They May Be About To Go out of Business.

Comment

Load of hogwash.

The Pentium-4 was a bad CPU, in comparison with what AMD and Pentium-M offered. The above advice of "Intel no Celeron" is bogus.

AMD is going out of business. Right. Do these people know that AMD sells all the CPUs they can produce? How strong AMD is in the server market? Granted the chipsets for AMD-compatible motherboards suck, that is why I recommend Intel Core2. But that doesn't make them go out of business.

The recommendation to buy a video card by the amount of memory is the true sign of a clueless computer buyer. There are many video cards on the market that have nothing else than a lot of superslow memory, just to attract owners of brains that cannot use more than one variable at a time. A FX-5200 is available with 256 MB RAM. It has a memory bandwidth of 3.2 GB/sec. So if you want to visit each memory location even only once for each frame than your framerate is no more than 12 frames per second. And that is for just visiting the memory, without doing any calculations or without actually controlling the card from the PC. In practice, you visit the memory more than once during a frame, much more. And 4x4 anti-aliasing requires 4 passes extra over the framebuffer portion of memory just for the AA.

I also like the style with all capitalized words, which is usually the result of an all-lowercase posting converted by vBulletin. Very confidence inspiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
          Load of hogwash.

The Pentium-4 was a bad CPU, in comparison with what AMD and Pentium-M offered. The above advice of "Intel no Celeron" is bogus.

AMD is going out of business. Right. Do these people know that AMD sells all the CPUs they can produce? How strong AMD is in the server market? Granted the chipsets for AMD-compatible motherboards suck, that is why I recommend Intel Core2. But that doesn't make them go out of business.

The recommendation to buy a video card by the amount of memory is the true sign of a clueless computer buyer. There are many video cards on the market that have nothing else than a lot of superslow memory, just to attract owners of brains that cannot use more than one variable at a time. A FX-5200 is available with 256 MB RAM. It has a memory bandwidth of 3.2 GB/sec. So if you want to visit each memory location even only once for each frame than your framerate is no more than 12 frames per second. And that is for just visiting the memory, without doing any calculations or without actually controlling the card from the PC. In practice, you visit the memory more than once during a frame, much more. And 4x4 anti-aliasing requires 4 passes extra over the framebuffer portion of memory just for the AA.

I also like the style with all capitalized words, which is usually the result of an all-lowercase posting converted by vBulletin. Very confidence inspiring.
          AMD is going out of business. Right. Do these people know that AMD sells all the CPUs they can produce?
          FLMAO! I thinking the exact same thing. And the comment about a card with 128MB of VRAM is totally bogus. There are plenty of 128 meg cards that are low-end budget crap. Obviously whom ever provided the advice doesn't have a clue as to what they're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
            Load of hogwash.

The Capitalization of the words is just me being MYSELF, nothing more.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X