No announcement yet.

Any Genius Computer Nuts Out There?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Genius Computer Nuts Out There?????

All the New Computers I am looking at have Intel Core Duo Processors & Not Pentium Processors.

Is there a reason for this?????

Originally posted by Duke William View Post
    All the New Computers I am looking at have Intel Core Duo Processors & Not Pentium Processors.

What is a computer?
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

It's the next generation of processors that's all. AMD had the 64bit processors and then introduced the 'Dual Core' models, Intel have responded with a new range of which the 'Core Duo' is one product line. I prefer AMDs.
      Signing out.

Comment

Originally posted by salinator View Post
        What is a computer?

Not feautering Intel Core Duo Processors though...
        "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

The Core-Duo offer superior performance as well as running cooler and quieter than the older Pentiums. I know as I've built 2 systems for myself; a 6300 for work and a 6600 for play.

I prefer rooting for the underdog (AMD) myself and have built quite a few of these over the years as well. I was seriously thinking of the newer AMD chips, but since it would be a totally new system, (motherboard, ram and video card) and since the price/performance as well as the performance/watt of the Intel Core-Duo's was so much better, it was a no brainer for me as to which way to go.

If you purchase a rig from a vendor, make sure that you have at least 2 gb of RAM, the RAM is at least PC 6400. If you plan on playing any video-intensive games and like turning up the eye candy, I recommend a video card with at least 256mb of memory (512mb recommended) and that the video card has 24 pixel pipelines and a 256 bit memory interface.

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorque View Post
            The Core-Duo offer superior performance as well as running cooler and quieter than the older Pentiums. I know as I've built 2 systems for myself; a 6300 for work and a 6600 for play.

I prefer rooting for the underdog (AMD) myself and have built quite a few of these over the years as well. I was seriously thinking of the newer AMD chips, but since it would be a totally new system, (motherboard, ram and video card) and since the price/performance as well as the performance/watt of the Intel Core-Duo's was so much better, it was a no brainer for me as to which way to go.

If you purchase a rig from a vendor, make sure that you have at least 2 gb of RAM, the RAM is at least PC 6400. If you plan on playing any video-intensive games and like turning up the eye candy, I recommend a video card with at least 256mb of memory (512mb recommended) and that the video card has 24 pixel pipelines and a 256 bit memory interface.

Best of luck.
            I read & understood your entire thread up to THIS Sentence:

"If you purchase a rig from a vendor, make sure that you have at least 2 gb of RAM"

After that it read like greek to me.

Comment

After that it read like greek to me.
              Actually it's 'geek'

Basically if you're going to go for a dual-core processor you want to make sure you've got dual-channel RAM (or 'memory' if that's what you call it) because otherwise you won't be able to take advantage of the 'dual' nature of the processor. Whether you'll need 2gb of it is questionable though. Windows Vista takes up more memory than XP (which in turn used more than Windows 98) BUT if you're not looking to play modern FPS games (and I don't think you are) it's not essential to go with Vista or, for that matter, a beefy graphics processor.
              Signing out.

Comment

Ok.

I recommend you have at least 2 gigabytes of system memory in order to future proof your rig and that the system memory be of the PC-6400 standard. This is also known as DDR2-800 memory.

If you plan on playing any video intensive games, then I recommend any of the following nVidia video cards: 7800, 7900, 7950, or the 8800's, and from ATI: x800, x 850, x1600, x1650, x1800, x1900 or x1950. Any of the above cards should have at least 250 megabytes of memory, although I would recommend 500 megabytes to future proof your rig against near-term obsolescence.

Hope this is clearer than the mud I typed before.

Comment

The word "Pentium" usually means one of Intel's Pentium-4 chips, which use the Netburst architecture. That architecture sucked because it used more electric power and was slower for most applications than other processors. Be glad to be rid of it.

However, there is the Pentium-M which is a glorified Pentium-3 with a huge powersaving effort. That was a great chip but a little limited in memory throughput.

Dual-Core means that you have what once was reserved for dual processor computers. You generally don't need it but there's not much else out there, and it can make for a "smoother" desktop experience.

Intel "Core Duo" is exclusively a mobile dual-Core chip (Yonah).

Intel "Core 2 Duo" is Intel's new architecture (nothing to do with either Pentium-4 or Pentium-3 and blazingly fast) and it comes in desktop (Conroe), server (Woodcrest) and mobile variants (Merom).

Unless you are very short on money you should pick "Core 2 Duo", they are faster than "Core Duo" at the same clockspeed, which in turn was fatser than Pentium-M even when measured by core.

Comment

Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
                    Actually it's 'geek'

Basically if you're going to go for a dual-core processor you want to make sure you've got dual-channel RAM (or 'memory' if that's what you call it) because otherwise you won't be able to take advantage of the 'dual' nature of the processor. Whether you'll need 2gb of it is questionable though. Windows Vista takes up more memory than XP (which in turn used more than Windows 98) BUT if you're not looking to play modern FPS games (and I don't think you are) it's not essential to go with Vista or, for that matter, a beefy graphics processor.
                    Well, I need a New Computer Anyway, as i have this Cheesy 1.1 GHZ Dell w/39 GB of Memory & an Intelceleron Processor.

And I would like to play this Axis & Allies Game I bought which apparently my computer can't handle.

Says it needs at least a Pentium III 1.5 GHZ, but a Pentium 4 2.0 GHZ is recommended.

Windows Vista.....Have been hearing about that.....what is it?????

I currently have XP

Comment

Originally posted by Gorque View Post
                      Ok.

I recommend you have at least 2 gigabytes of system memory in order to future proof your rig and that the system memory be of the PC-6400 standard. This is also known as DDR2-800 memory.

If you plan on playing any video intensive games, then I recommend any of the following nVidia video cards: 7800, 7900, 7950, or the 8800's, and from ATI: x800, x 850, x1600, x1650, x1800, x1900 or x1950. Any of the above cards should have at least 250 megabytes of memory, although I would recommend 500 megabytes to future proof your rig against near-term obsolescence.

Hope this is clearer than the mud I typed before.
                      Not really, it's like reading Legaleze. Why don't people just speak english?

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
                        The word "Pentium" usually means one of Intel's Pentium-4 chips, which use the Netburst architecture. That architecture sucked because it used more electric power and was slower for most applications than other processors. Be glad to be rid of it.

However, there is the Pentium-M which is a glorified Pentium-3 with a huge powersaving effort. That was a great chip but a little limited in memory throughput.

Dual-Core means that you have what once was reserved for dual processor computers. You generally don't need it but there's not much else out there, and it can make for a "smoother" desktop experience.

Intel "Core Duo" is exclusively a mobile dual-Core chip (Yonah).

Intel "Core 2 Duo" is Intel's new architecture (nothing to do with either Pentium-4 or Pentium-3 and blazingly fast) and it comes in desktop (Conroe), server (Woodcrest) and mobile variants (Merom).

Unless you are very short on money you should pick "Core 2 Duo", they are faster than "Core Duo" at the same clockspeed, which in turn was fatser than Pentium-M even when measured by core.
                        Yeah, I found a HP w/Intel Core 2 Duo @ Fry's Electronics For like $1,650.00 w/OUT The Widescreen Monitor which was like another $680.00 itself.

I figure I'll keep what I have & put something on layaway till I get it paid for which should be sometime around the time they come out with the next 3 more advance computers than the one I will put on layaway.

Comment

As this has been mentioned a few times in this thread one warning:

Of course fast RAM doesn't hurt. But it plays a very small role in overall computer performance, and very fast RAM is very expensive.

Sites like www.anandtech.com have the tests of running games and other applications with different RAM speed. The difference is negligible. A recommendation to invest serious money in faster RAM is not appropriate. Investing the same money in a faster Video card, CPU or better harddrive is the better choice even with normal prices, and right now RAM prices are insanely high.

Same for dual-channel RAM. Of course you want it since it's almost free and is in almost all computers anyway. But don't let an otherwise good deal go because of lack of it.

Comment

Gorque is 100% correct. I'm an AMD man myself, however, the new C2D systems are beating the pants off everything AMD has right now. One thing that Gorque failed to mention was the OS. Do not, I say again do not purchase a box that has XPMCE installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Marines View Post
                              I'm an AMD man myself, however, the new C2D systems are beating the pants off everything AMD has right now.
                              I agree. I am currently running a AMD 3800 duel-core but as we look for a new notebook for the wife I'm looking at Intel's Duo.
                              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X