2006 Game Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Game Awards

Armchair General has published our first ever online game awards.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/artic...&page=1&cat=59

Leave your comments here!

Nicely done Adam even if I totally disagree with most of the choices

Comment

Ditto! Very good show, indeed, although the only game on the list I've played (am still playing) is Oblivion.
      Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

I would have expected more detailed categories for wargames and strategy games. I mean: War is what ACG is all about, isn't it?

(Oblivion????)

Comment

I found the selection of Distant Guns as "best strategy game" totally bizarre, given my experience with the game demos. That is, until I realized that Jim Cobb was involved in the selection process.

Before playing the demo, I didn't know Jim Cobb from a hole in the ground. However, after downloading the original version of the demo, only to find it TOTALLY unstable on my computer, I posted to a thread on the AG forums looking for some help with DG, having googled the game and been directed to here:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...hlight=ivanmoe

Were you to peruse the above thread, you'd see that my comments about Distant Guns were essentially of a technical nature, being a computer gaming enthusiast. It was at that point that Cobb inserted himself into my dilemna, insisting that my problems with the game were a product of "overheating," which of course I knew was not the case. Notice also, if you've got the time or energy that I responded to Cobb and others with detailed system specifications and what I had done to resolve the problem on my own.

Now, lets move forward a few weeks to another forum, again one which I googled up having tried an updated demo, the SZO forums:

http://www.xtreme-gamer.com/forums/d...hlight=ivanmoe

To summarize the discussion above, I posted there and complained about the lack of support for the game and the problems that I was having with the second demo. Once again, it was Cobb to the developer's rescue, calling me a TROLL when I failed to cite my system specs, which btw, I had already done in our previous encounter.

Am I troll? Was I just trying to cause trouble for the game developers? Were there no stability issues with DG?

Well ladies and gentlemen, the fact of the matter is that there was no formal technical support for DG when I posted to those two threads, nada, zip, zero, zilch. If you had a problem with the game, you were supposed to upload the fail-game file to the developer, a procedure that I'm very much familiar with, having been a beta-tester for the last decade. It's also worth noting that at the time that I posted to the second thread above DG was on patch #15. It's currently on patch #43. No problems with this game, nope, solid as a rock.

And what about Jim Cobb? Well, here's a thread over at SZO-Distant Guns in which he trumpets the marvelous news for the developers, that theirs is "strategy game" of the year, HIMSELF, having delivered the goods:

http://www.xtreme-gamer.com/forums/d...game-year.html

I realize that at the end of the day, none of this really matters. The game will succeed or fail on it's merits or lack thereof, although I did notice that there were only four members in the forum when I copied that last link, above. Still, Cobb's role in all this is preposterous, being nothing more than a schill for the developers, in my honest opinion. And there's not a hell of a lot that I or anyone else can do about it, other than break ties with the several entities that carry his drivel, and that I promise to do, subscriptions and all.

Happy gaming, everyone.

ivanmoe

Comment

I'm flattered that you give me such awesome powers, Ivan.

Comment

Originally posted by Sand View Post
              I would have expected more detailed categories for wargames and strategy games. I mean: War is what ACG is all about, isn't it?

(Oblivion????)
              Give us time!

This is our first year doing a year-end roundup, and we intentionally started small to avoid overstretching ourselves. We also have a new games editor (Adam) who came on staff very late in the year and before he really had a chance to settle in we tasked him with this difficult duty.

We also cover all types of war and strategy games, including RPGs and similar non-wargame games - which should illustrate why games such as Oblivion made our list. The wargames category was based on a wide variety of factors, and we had several sets of eyes look at all the choices before we went live with it. To incriminate one person for any given selection just isn't fair. Some excellent games were discounted heavily because they were sequels or derivatives of previous games. My personal selection would have been The Operational Art of War III by Matrix for bringing it back from the dead but I had to excuse myself from voting because I was personally involved with that title. In 2007 I have high hopes for Battlefront's Theatre of War to make the list.

We are already planning for this year (2007 game awards).
              Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by ivanmoe View Post
                I realize that at the end of the day, none of this really matters. The game will succeed or fail on it's merits or lack thereof, although I did notice that there were only four members in the forum when I copied that last link, above.
                ivanmoe
                The rest of us (me included) was playing the game. It's funnier than talking about it.

Filippo

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
                  Give us time!

Some excellent games were discounted heavily because they were sequels or derivatives of previous games. My personal selection would have been The Operational Art of War III by Matrix for bringing it back from the dead but I had to excuse myself from voting because I was personally involved with that title. In 2007 I have high hopes for Battlefront's Theatre of War to make the list.

We are already planning for this year (2007 game awards).
                  I liked your selection of Distant Guns as wargame of the year. It's innovative and deals with a very important war that is generally neglected. On the other hand I simpatize strongly with your opinion about TOAW3. I've played TOAW since it came out many years ago and I own every version except Century of Warfare. My joy was huge when I could put my hands on the most recent release. It's a true joy to play it. You can enjoy it at multiple levels (fast evening game, detaild monster game that takes weeks to end) and it always seems fresh. I suppose it's not a pure coincidence that both games are the product of Norm Koger's brilliant mind

Filippo

Comment

TOAW III was definitely in the running. I went for TC2M as I remember giving earlier incarnations of TOAW so many awards.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cobb View Post
                      TOAW III was definitely in the running. I went for TC2M as I remember giving earlier incarnations of TOAW so many awards.
                      TC2M is a wonderful game, one of the best I played in years.

Filippo

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
                        To incriminate one person for any given selection just isn't fair.
                        I merely stated my puzzlment, I did not incriminate anyone.

These ACG awards are a nice move, and I look forward to read 2007 ones if they are going to get a more intense "ACG flavour", distinctive from more generalist reviews.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X