Computer woes, I need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer woes, I need help!

This is a long story, but I'll try to condense. I ordered an Alienware computer in early September that was to arrive in a week. I still didn't have it when I left for Australia in early October, so I called and spent 25 minutes changing the shipping address to my sister's house. The computer shipped last week to the original address and I became alarmed when they didn't respond to my e-mails regarding the address change. I finally did what I should have done first. I checked the complaint websites and the BBB, of which Alienware was denied membership due to complaints unresolved.

I have e-mailed them 3 more times to cancel the order and I gave their failure to deliver, their horrid service, and their BBB status as reasons. My order number no longer exists and they won't answer my e-mails. I don't get back to the US for almost another month. I am at my wit's end and it is affecting my vacation. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thank you
    Heather

Can you call your credit card company and cancel payment?

Comment

Thanks Duncan! I have e-mailed my company, but am still open to any suggestions.

Comment

So you moved between ordering and getting it delivered?

Almost all companies will drop the ball on that situation, you can only cancel the order outright.

You always need to call companies with this stuff, not email. And you need to call your credit card company, too, not email them.

BTW, Alienware is now a part of Dell, and here's my experience with Dell's "support":
        http://cracauer-forum.cons.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36

Comment

Yes yes, PHONE not email.

I have a DELL XPS. Great computer. But I had an absolute nightmare when my wife bought me RAM as a gift. She was told I could just add two more identical sticks on top of the two I had to double the RAM. WRONG! All I wanted to do was return it and purchase the right RAM. Customer service sent me to support - "O.K. let's find out what the issue is. What kind of RAM do you currently have?" I know thre feakin' issue. I just want to return it and give you more money! "Well, we'll have to send you to customer service for that." Then customer service AGAIN "I'll have to send you to support to see if there is a technical issue before we can return the product." I HAVE EXPLAINED THE ISSUE NOW THREE TIMES TO THREE PEOPLE! I WANT TO EXCHANGE IT AND GIVE YOU MORE MONEY FOR THE CORRECT RAM!!!

Never mind. After three phone calls, one of which was 40 minutes, I just told them to set up a return and bought the RAM somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
            So you moved between ordering and getting it delivered?

Almost all companies will drop the ball on that situation, you can only cancel the order outright.

You always need to call companies with this stuff, not email. And you need to call your credit card company, too, not email them.

BTW, Alienware is now a part of Dell, and here's my experience with Dell's "support":
            http://cracauer-forum.cons.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36
            Geez, Martin...that must have really sucked! I've had no issues at all with Dell, and they have been responsive and quick to react. Of course, I did buy a premium warranty with my laptop, so I think I get bumped to better service.

I couldn't get the sound working on my system about 2 years into the warranty - 1 day after my call, I had a tech in my home, fixing the machine!

You get what you pay for, I guess...

Comment

man, that really sucks. do you know how it was shipped and did you get a tracking number? my only thought would be if you cant get ahold of alienware, then cancel the payment or contest the charge on you credit card, something like that so you can get your money back. then you might want to order a computer from some one else.

Comment

Originally posted by CPangracs View Post
                Geez, Martin...that must have really sucked! I've had no issues at all with Dell, and they have been responsive and quick to react. Of course, I did buy a premium warranty with my laptop, so I think I get bumped to better service.

I couldn't get the sound working on my system about 2 years into the warranty - 1 day after my call, I had a tech in my home, fixing the machine!

You get what you pay for, I guess...
                Well, I never got a fully functional notebook in first place, after several exchanges. That should be covered by the 1 year basic warranty included in the base price. It is them who then delayed things so much that they ran over their own exchange time limits, then getting confused to the point where I said "laywer" and they said "refund".

Would an expensive warranty have helped? Maybe. Maybe they get into a "make him happy and exchange as much as he wants". But in all honesty, that doesn't fix their confusion either.

I should mention that my girldfriend is very happy with all her Dells and she always buys refurbished without any extra warranty - which should be worst. But no isses.

Comment

Originally posted by jayedub7423 View Post
                  man, that really sucks. do you know how it was shipped and did you get a tracking number? my only thought would be if you cant get ahold of alienware, then cancel the payment or contest the charge on you credit card, something like that so you can get your money back. then you might want to order a computer from some one else.
                  The whole thing shouldn't be that bad if the old address has been properly invalidated. Unless it comes with the UPS morons, they will not drop the package at a door without the right name.

If you left your name at the old place and a neighbor signs then you are screwed, of course.

Anyway, the phone is the key. As said above, the tracking number is the first thing. I am surprised you didn't get any in the mail.

Comment

I didn't move, but have left the country for 6 weeks. I am currently in Australia, so phoning is going to be difficult. I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and buy a phone card. The computer was supposed to arrive 2.5 weeks before I left, so I wasn't worried about a shipping address when I ordered and I still changed the shipping address before they ever had my computer ready. It was still being built.

I did have a tracking number, but there has been no activity since they tried to deliver it to the old address.

The credit card company said to contact Alienware first and then fill out a dispute form and mail it. I haven't had problems with Dell before, but Alienware can kiss my [email protected]@! I will never buy another product from them ever again.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!
                    Last edited by Biscuit; 19 Oct 06, 21:47.

Comment

I hope you work out your computer problems Biscuit.
                      There are some pretty sharp people here with some good ideas.
                      Hang in there!
                      "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                        I did have a tracking number, but there has been no activity since they tried to deliver it to the old address.
                        "No activity"? That's vbery unusual. Does it end with "delivery made" or similar? Which carrier?

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
                          "No activity"? That's vbery unusual. Does it end with "delivery made" or similar? Which carrier?
                          i agree, that is odd. if it was shipped ups, i thought they try to redeliver your package a few times before sending it back to the original shipper.

you need to check to see if it was delivered to someone, and if not, find out if there was even an attempted delivery.

Comment

Its FedEx and they finally updated it. It is being held at their Tyler office. I think the credit card company is going to get involved. They gave me a number to call collect in the States.

Comment

excellent, sounds like you're making a little progress at least. hopefully you can call fedex and get them to redeliver you package, and all will be well in the world!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Beirut
                                by casanova
                                Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                                Today, 00:47
                              • casanova
                                Nuclear battleheads.
                                by casanova
                                A secret UNO report declares, that North Korea owns already nuclear battleheads for tactical rockets....
                                Yesterday, 23:58
                              • casanova
                                German Navy
                                by casanova
                                250 german marines are going to the mediterianian sea by the German frigate Hamburg to watch the weaponembargo against Libya. It's a EU military mis...
                                Yesterday, 23:48
                              Working...
                              X