Calling all Computer Wizz's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Computer Wizz's

I have a computer that will not run any of my old DOS based games. Currently I can no longer enjoy Steel Panters, TOAW or East Front. I tried going into explorer and adjusting the compatiability for the programs but it keeps saying that they are not compatiable. Has anybody else had this problem? Any solution out there?
    "I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend."

Jack Handy

I definitely have. Even some of the old Windows based stuff I have (Warcraft, etc) doesn't work, no matter how I adjust.

I have no solution for you, but I feel your pain!
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - attributed to Edmund Burke

Comment

Have you tried using DosBox emulator?
      "In times of change learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists."

Comment

Originally posted by liuzg150181
        Have you tried using DosBox emulator?
        Yeah...I would try an emulator. Other than that I think you are out of luck.
        "In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them."
        - Johann von Neumann

"Never in the face of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few."
        - Winston Churchill

Comment

I kept my W98SE box around just for DOS stuff. The nice thing about it, it NEVER needs upgraded.
          If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Steel Panthers comes in a number of windows compatible flavours now.
            WinSPWWII, WinSPMBT, SPWaW. They are all free downloads.

There is a patch for CoW to run on WinXp. Can't remember what it is called.

Comment

Thank you.........

for all your reponses. what's a DosBox emulator?
              "I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend."

Jack Handy

Comment

You happen to be in luck, as all of these games are being reporduced in Windows compatible formats, if they are not already available. As mentioned, Steel Panthers can be had in various forms that are already Windows compatible, and Matrix Games is remaking East Front. As you may have already noticed on the ACG website, TOAW III is nearing release. Granted, this won't be the same as playing the originals, however, I dare say the new versions should be better than the originals.

You can probably get the older games to work in DOS Compatability Mode under WinXP, but doing so is almost not worth the effort it takes to set things up in the first place. If you played those games way back when, you may recall how difficult it was to get some games to work in DOS, and those same problems still persist when using Compatability Mode. And once you actually get the games to run (if you get them to run), the WOW factor wears off in about 15 minutes.

If you want to persist in this endeavor, try searching for DOS emulators on Google and you should be able to find several options. Oh yeah... good luck!

BTW, nice avatar Duncan! Where do I find a girl like that? (She plays Chess, too? Yummy!)
                Last edited by Cantata; 07 Jun 06, 09:37.
                "Violence... the supreme authority from which all other authority is derived." - Mr. Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Deathrider6
                  for all your reponses. what's a DosBox emulator?
                  Here you are:
                  http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1
                  "In times of change learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists."

Comment

Originally posted by Cantata
                    BTW, nice avatar Duncan! Where do I find a girl like that? (She plays Chess, too? Yummy!)
                    WFM Dafnae Trujillo Delgado. Someone made a coment a while back about women chess players being unatractive. So, my last few avatars have featured women chess players.

Comment

Vmware will do what you want.

Or an notebook installed with Windoze 95 on the side.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X