X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubisoft Sued Over Starforce

read this over at wargamer...
    http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=3208

I, personally, hope this is for real, but I will not buy into this lawsuit until I read coverage by more reputable news sources (CNN, MSNBC, WSJ, NYT, BBC, etc).

Industry News : Ubisoft Sued Over Starforce
    Posted by Sean Drummy @ 10:55 EST

Ubisoft is currently in the midst of legal troubles over the utilization of a highly controversial anti-piracy program, Starforce.

Word has gotten out that Ubisoft is being sued for the use of a very contentious anti-piracy program called Starforce. Coming with a long list of games, many of which are unbeknownst to gamers that have these titles installed on their machine, Starforce has been reported to allegedly damage CD and DVD-ROM drives in addition to a number of counts of illicit business practices on behalf of the companies that employ the program.

Christopher Spence, the person who has brought the suit before Ubisoft, has filed for a $5M class action lawsuit for using Starforce DRM in their games. Should Mr. Spence win this case, players who have ever had Starforce on their system are entitled to collect some monetary damages.

The crux of the complaint lies here:

Starforce DRM can compromise Windows operating systems’ security. Any virtus or trojan can control a computer by and through the Stareforce DRM installeed on the computer, despite the security measures taken in newer versions of Windows.

Users receive no notice that removing Starforce DRM is necessary to prevent possible security compromises on their computer systems. Worse, removal of a Starforce Title does not always remove Starforce DRM software.

To get the full text of the complaint, check out this PDF of the document.
    Last edited by Patrocles; 04 Apr 06, 09:31.
    All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Originally posted by Patrocles
    read this over at wargamer...
    http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=3208

I, personally, hope this is for real, but I will not buy into this lawsuit until I read coverage by more reputable news sources (CNN, MSNBC, WSJ, NYT, BBC, etc)....

Users receive no notice that removing Starforce DRM is necessary to prevent possible security compromises on their computer systems. Worse, removal of a Starforce Title does not always remove Starforce DRM software.
    The other problems have been hard drive crashes and OS failures. Personally, I couldn't install SH3 on my new computer because I had a DVD burner. I had to find an "alternate" source inorder to install a game I had legally purchased. Of course, Starforce still denies any problem with their software.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X