Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion goes on sale TOMORROW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion goes on sale TOMORROW!

I have been looking forward to this game for a long, LONG time.

'Oblivion Scores A 9.5 In OXM (USA)
    and A 95% In PC Gamer (USA)
    OXM states, "Oblivion raises the bar so high that most RPGs would be (and have been) satisfied with a fraction of what's here." In his PC Gamer review, Desslock says, "The best compliment I can pay Oblivion is that it achieves far more than I’d even thought possible. It’s a superlative RPG."'

For some great teaser videos and such, go here.
    Oblivion website.
    "Since starting this project two years ago, our goal has been to create the quintessential RPG of the next generation," said Todd Howard, executive producer of The Elder Scrolls® series. "We looked back at what we had done with the series, and then looked ahead to what the future of video games could be, and we think this is it."

In keeping with the Elder Scrolls tradition, players will have the option to experience the main quest at their own pace, and there will be plenty of opportunities to explore the vast world and make your own way. Numerous factions can be joined, such as the thieves or mages guilds, and each contains its own complete storyline and the chance to rise to the head of the faction and reap further rewards.

Howard commented, "Our games have always been about great depth and variety in creating any kind of character you want and going out and doing whatever you want." He added, "With Oblivion, we're taking the idea of a virtual fantasy world as far as it will go."

Oblivion features a groundbreaking new AI system, called Radiant AI, which gives non-player characters (NPCs) the ability to make their own choices based on the world around them. They'll decide where to eat or who to talk to and what they'll say. They'll sleep, go to church, and even steal items, all based on their individual characteristics. Full facial animations and lip-synching, combined with full speech for all dialog, allows NPCs to come to life like never before.

Oblivion is a single-player game that takes place in Tamriel's capital province, Cyrodiil. You are given the task of finding the hidden heir to a throne that sits empty, the previous emperor having been killed by an unknown assassin. With no true Emperor, the gates to Oblivion (the equivalent of hell in the world of Tamriel) open, and demons begin to invade Cyrodiil and attack its people and towns. It's up to you to find the lost heir to the throne and unravel the sinister plot that threatens to destroy all of Tamriel."

This is a NON rendered shot of the forests in the world that are randomly generated, according to data aquired when developers worked with US geologists on erosion, etc.

Comment

A shot of a character battling an orc. The controls are able to mix blocks and slashes along with different other moves based on the skills your character has.

One of the cool things about Oblivion is the lack of XP and leveling in game. You get more skills in certain areas by actually performing those actions.

Repeated use of the bow, for instance, increase your profeciency with that weapon.

Comment

I have played all the Elder Scrolls game since Arena. I remember me and a friend being totally amazed by the large game world.

Now I am just a little worried that my machine wont hack this new installment in the series. 2.1 Ghz 1024Mb and a 6800 Nvidia card... it beats the minumum reqs, butI guess I have to order it to find out.
        "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

When are they going to make the shift to massively multi-player? I think the Elder Scrolls games would work quite well with that environment...
          Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

Originally posted by sickpup
            When are they going to make the shift to massively multi-player? I think the Elder Scrolls games would work quite well with that environment...
            Boo! It's refreshing to see some people remembering that you can have a singleplayer RPG experience.
            “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer
              Boo! It's refreshing to see some people remembering that you can have a singleplayer RPG experience.
              But a game with such an impressive engine and rule-set would be perfect for a MMORPG.

Comment

But a game with such an impressive engine and rule-set would be perfect for a MMORPG.
                Well there in lies the problem. The engine is impressive because it's not dealing with the same issues an MMORPG has to deal with.

As for the rule-set, I can't argue with you there.
                “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Yep tracking says UPS is delivering tonight. Can't wait to fire it up on my 3Ghz, 3mb. dual Nvidia 7800 SLI and see how she runs.
                  Boston Strong!

Comment

I have always prefered the level system in Morrowind to the classic D&D. Just makes more sense to gain skills by using them and to gain attributes based on what attributes the skills require. ( Later not strictly required but by giving you a multiplier effect on those attributes you used most in the last leveling sequence it pretty much steers you to that result. Some of the mod graphic enhancements of Morrowind were great so this should be super. Unfortunately I have a lot to do at the hospital the next 3 days so I won't get to really fly it until this weekend.
                    Boston Strong!

Comment

Originally posted by Pergite
                      I have played all the Elder Scrolls game since Arena. I remember me and a friend being totally amazed by the large game world.

Now I am just a little worried that my machine wont hack this new installment in the series. 2.1 Ghz 1024Mb and a 6800 Nvidia card... it beats the minumum reqs, butI guess I have to order it to find out.
                      You should get an XB360 and this game. No worries about requirements etc...
                      Plus it works much better with the gamepad (at least that's what I've found).
                      Alliances With The Powerful Are Never To Be Trusted.

Comment

Originally posted by GameGeezer
                        You should get an XB360 and this game. No worries about requirements etc...
                        Plus it works much better with the gamepad (at least that's what I've found).
                        I am about to move as well buying a new car. This combined with a intelligent girlfriend makes it impossible for me to hide the fact that I have spent even more money on toys .

Besides IMO Elders scroll shall be played on mouse on keyboard. Gamepads is for sports and Zelda.

Please cant anyone post their first impressions of the game? It isnt released here until on friday.
                        "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Spent the last two evenings checking it out. Try several character builds so not far into it, but I must say it is to Fantasy RPG what FEAR was to FPS. Much of the basic mechanics are essentially the same as Morrowind but with an updated interface. Much cleaner. Tab acesses a master window that has tabs for all the different subwindows (character, inventory, magic, quests, maps, etc. ) so no more remembering half a dozen quick keys. The environment is fantastic. While there is automatic fast travel I urge you to take the time to walk, watch the groups of deer playing in the fields, see the waterfalls, just walking through the tall weeds in the fields is trip. NPCs have a life of their own which could make running down that one you need for a quest a challenge except the compass tracks the NPC you need for the quest you have choosen to work on so you can go straight to them even if they have left their shop and gone to the pub. Combat feels very real, dungeons are darks, things jump you out of the darkness. Not for the weak of heart. Definitely defining the next generation. Can't tell you how many times I jump or came under fire from an archer I could not make out in the gloom. Just like Morrowind there are hundreds of possible quests around the main quests and one could spend countless hours without ever pursuing the main quest.
                          Boston Strong!

Comment

Two of my friends have played it, and while they both like it, their two biggest complaints are:

1) The game was obviously designed for a console instead of a pc (this is a bad thing in their and my eyes). As was mentioned, there are no real short cut keys. So, instead of just pressing the 'M' key to bring up a map, you have to click on two or three different tabs to see your map. Same thing with your invtentory, your characters skills, etc. Granted, this is probably seen as a relatively minor issue, but they apparently should've reworked the interface for the pc version.

2) You just about have to play the game in first person view. While the game offers a third person camera, it's apparently kinda hard to actually be effective in combat unless you're in first person.

Comment

Two of my friends have played it, and while they both like it, their two biggest complaints are:

1) The game was obviously designed for a console instead of a pc (this is a bad thing in their and my eyes). As was mentioned, there are no real short cut keys. So, instead of just pressing the 'M' key to bring up a map, you have to click on two or three different tabs to see your map. Same thing with your invtentory, your characters skills, etc. Granted, this is probably seen as a relatively minor issue, but they apparently should've reworked the interface for the pc version.

2) You just about have to play the game in first person view. While the game offers a third person camera, it's apparently kinda hard to actually be effective in combat unless you're in first person.
                              Both valid observations although:
                              1) as a PC gamer who has never touched a console I actually like the current system. Since you can hot key weapons and spells you don't need those a lot and when I am navigating I just have it set on the map page so all I have to do is hit tab to see it.

2) True but understand the core fan based loved the first person approach and don't like the third person view used in other games. Can't please everyone. It is telling that they call the third person view "vanity mode". Sort of shows what they think of folks playing in third person.
                              Boston Strong!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X