Civilization 6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization 6

Anyone else playing this? Its a great game and fun in multiplayer.
    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Never went beyond Civ IV.

It's still one of my favourite games though, I keep it around permanently and since I'm by now completely familiar with the mechanics it allows me to play casual, yet complicated games

Seems to get good reviews though, at first sight less controversial then V.

Free demo here, may try it later :

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag...vilization-vi/

Definitely the best pre-expansion pack Civ since, well, ever. And I think, overall it beats an expanded Civ 5. And personally I’d say it just about beats Civ 4 BTS, but can see the merit in those who say otherwise.

Yet despite all this, I’ve certainly played it less than any other Civ, not sure why, perhaps there are just more games out there, perhaps my tastes have moved on, perhaps Paradox et al are just doing more interesting things in the genre..
    ooshp says:

I’d almost agree, except the AI/diplomacy are absolute trash. Love the new city planning, espionage, and split culture/tech trees, all brilliant. But golly is the AI as terrible as its ever been.

And Gandhi is *still* a total ****.

Gandhi. Gandhi never changes.

How would you compare V to VI (or IV for that matter) ?
    Last edited by Snowygerry; 17 Mar 17, 08:24.
    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
    Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

I never went beyond Civ IV either. The one thing that I didn't like was when they started making you hunt down resources to build things. I didn't like having to travel halfway across a map to find rubber or oil, or whatever. What made it a real pain in the neck was the symbols for those resources were so small you could, or at least I would, easily miss them.

Is that still in V and VI? I might give VI a try if it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
        Never went beyond Civ IV.

It's still one of my favourite games though, I keep it around permanently and since I'm by now completely familiar with the mechanics it allows me to play casual, yet complicated games

Seems to get good reviews though, at first sight less controversial then V.

Free demo here, may try it later :

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag...vilization-vi/

How would you compare V to VI (or IV for that matter) ?
        I played several hundred hours of both 4 and 5 and I absolutely love Civ 6. Its my favorite of the series by far.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
          I never went beyond Civ IV either. The one thing that I didn't like was when they started making you hunt down resources to build things. I didn't like having to travel halfway across a map to find rubber or oil, or whatever. What made it a real pain in the neck was the symbols for those resources were so small you could, or at least I would, easily miss them.

Is that still in V and VI? I might give VI a try if it's not.
          Yes the resources are still in the game.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Never played any of them.Am I missing out.
            Wack tac mac hey.
            Regards.
            Grishnak.

Comment

Originally posted by grishnak View Post
              Never played any of them.Am I missing out.
              Yes.

Some of the best computer strategy games of all time.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                Yes.

As good as cossacks?
                Wack tac mac hey.
                Regards.
                Grishnak.

Comment

Yes.

Agreed. Civ I is what got me to buy my first computer, however many years ago that was. Just so I could play Civ. If you're not into those shoot-em-up-aimed-at-16 year old games, there's no better game than the Civ series...IMO.

If you look around at those old abandoned games websites, you can find the older Civ games you can download for free.

Comment

Are any real time?
                    Wack tac mac hey.
                    Regards.
                    Grishnak.

Comment

I've played most, if not all the Civ games. I really liked Civ 5's 'one unit per hex' rule, which eliminated the doom stacks, and its elimination of transport vessels. Civ6 is next on my buy list.

The resource bit is tough, but my response has always been to build my empire with that concept in mind. Specific resources show up in certain types of terrain, so if you start planning early, there usually is no problem.

I only wish Leonard Nimoy was still narrating them.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                        I've played most, if not all the Civ games. I really liked Civ 5's 'one unit per hex' rule, which eliminated the doom stacks, and its elimination of transport vessels. Civ6 is next on my buy list.

The resource bit is tough, but my response has always been to build my empire with that concept in mind. Specific resources show up in certain types of terrain, so if you start planning early, there usually is no problem.

I only wish Leonard Nimoy was still narrating them.
                        Civ 6 is 20% off right now on Steam.

Agreed on the planning ahead. Its even more important now with the city districts.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

I have played every game in the Civilization series. Civilization II with all its mods and Test of Time release was my favorite until Civilization IV came out. The best thing I can say about Civilization V and particularly Civilization VI is that they have the best graphics.
                          "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

Civ 6 is 20% off right now on Steam.

Agreed on the planning ahead. Its even more important now with the city districts.
                            I don't use Steam. I have too slow of a connection.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by grishnak View Post
                              Never played any of them. Am I missing out.
                              Yes,

there's an unparalleled beauty in seeing that first settler standing in the middle of a small clearing in a sea of infinite blackness -

Will he thrive and develop into an empire that spans this world ?

Or will he be eaten by a wolf as he climbs the nearby hill ?

Also you'll never know the true meaning of the iconic motto,

"Just one more turn."

High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
                              Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X