No announcement yet.

Article - Understanding Your Local Grognard Parts I & II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I already knew I was an INTJ... the rest was interesting.
    If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

ESTP, probably not the "average" wargaming profile

I really like wargames because they offer so much more than any other type of gaming generally does.

Wargaming offers a complex theroetical enviroment but its much more dynamic than any regular boardgame. Hexes and dated graphics may not look like much, but it transforms in ones head to become what its supposed to symbolise.
      I guess I put alot of "passion" into my gaming. I dont want to send my troops on suicide missions, and often only attacks if I know that the odds are good. I often treat the game as reality and analyze it as I would do in real life (being in the buisness and all). I guess that I am after some kind of all out realism when I play. Its human lifes in my hands, not just pixels or tin figurines....(its sounds more wierd than it is, and No i dont need help )

The "War" in Wargaming to me means seriousnes, and that you have to put alot of effort in your gaming. The more effort you put in, the more the game itself is worth, and the more you get back.

Its about both well thought out planning, as well as making split descisions, and thats what I like. And the MBTI profile says roughly the same. "They look at the facts of a situation, quickly decide what should be done, execute the action, and move on to the next thing".

I do belive that the internet has given a great boost to the wargaming community. Not just with great sites like this, but through e-mail and online play. I remember the first PBEM games I played on Steel Panthers in 1995. I and a friend exchanged floppy disks on our Martial arts trainings twice a week... The game is the same, but the accesibility has changed quite alot since then.

My guess is that there are alot of wargamers out there, they just dont know it yet.
      Last edited by Pergite; 31 Mar 05, 07:50.
      "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

We almost have 150 responses already! Thanks to all who took some time to fill out my "paperwork."

If you run into any of your wargame buddies on other websites please invite them to take the survey as well. The more wargamers we can get, the better the results should be.

PS. I will make all the results public at the conclusion of this project, so no one thinks there is any ulterior motive to get this data.
        Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Well, I'm an EFPN. What a shock, not.

When I play wargames I'm not interested in the hideous details. I save that for role playing games. I own SPIs Africa Campaign, played it half way through with some friends and went back to Diplomacy and Waterloo.

I like playing wargames with, and being in the company of, other wargamers so that we can have fun together without explaining ourselves. The common response to outsiders learning my hobby is that is barbaric, "how can you like war?". Now I have perfectly good responses to that question, usually starting with "I don't like war, I think its dreadfull." but it gets tedious trying to discuss the subject seriously at a party where people want to have quick, light conversations.

Its true the teenagers of today are more into graphics and role playing than strategic thinking, but I think that has more to do with the easy exposure to one and the limited exposure to the other. My daughter, age 9, is a pretty easy, outgoing kid. She paints, rolerblades, likes "Spy Kids" and plays with lots of bang, bang computer games. She also plays chess pretty well and has her first Bronze medal from a chess tournament, has been collecting and painting "Lord of the Rings" figurines and has started playing wargames with me.

The popularity of Warhammer suggests that it is not wargaming or miniatures games that are the problem but something in the quality or tone of the historical games perhaps?

that's my 2 cents worth for now

Comment

I am INFJ
            Introverted : 44% (moderately expressed introvert)
            iNtuitive : 75% (definitively expressed intuitive personality)
            Feeling : 38% (moderately expressed feeling personality)
            Judging : 22% (slightly expressed judging personality)...

I presume my "pentecostal - Spirit experience and stress about inspiration" has something to do with the quite high "intuitive" side of my personality...

Where will the global results be published?
            Last edited by Robin; 03 Apr 05, 13:29.
            Nothing is so exhilarating in life as to be shot at with no result
            Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I'm INTJ.

83% 62% 62% 33%.

Although the desciprtion diesn't fit.
              Lesliesplace forum

Leslies place. Come on in and enjoy the company of a few good people.

Comment

My personality tes showed that I'm a INTJ 78 12 25 22 (aren't these top model measurments?)

As for my wargaming roots, well, I'm not sure why I did it, but I remember buying a wargame called "Crete" for the Spectrum 128+, when I was 15 years old. It came with no rules whatsoever and it dealt -obviously- with the German landings in WW2.

I think I bought it because I liked the fact that it represented something real, that had happened and because I was drawn to the "analytical/formal" presentation of the game (counters and hexes in a map). I never managed to play the game properly, but -oddly enough!- was addicted to the whole concept since then.

I play the range of tactical FPS and some sports titles, but none of those give me the pleasure that I get from a good wargame.
                JERRY:Vomitting is not a deal breaker. If Hitler had vomitted on Chamberlain, Chamberlain still would have given him Czechoslovakia.

GEORGE:Chamberlain...you could hold his head in the toilet, he'd still give you half of Europe

"Seinfeld"

Comment

Thanks again guys...in just a few days we have reached almost 300 responses!

Looking at the data there are some interesting trends to be sure...and in a few weeks I will begin assembling a follow up article illustrating the results. Don't worry, I won't drag this out for too long. At 300, we've probably got just about all the wargamers that are out there!
                  Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

iNTj
                    11/38/50/67 "Mastermind"

Is there a running tab of the results? I'd like to see how the survey is doing (see above personality description) - thanks.
                    Last edited by pzkfw5g; 11 Apr 05, 15:18. Reason: typo

Comment

I'm guessing that INTJ is going to be the most prevalent type, and that the next three most common types will vary by only one letter from INTJ.

I'd further guess that anybody who departs radically from those types didn't answer the test honestly.

--- Kevin

Comment

ISTJ - "The Inspector" - just like Monk!!!

56/1/25/11
                        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

I'm an ENTJ. Specific numbers 89/25/38/33. When I was in high school I saw a demo game of AH's Stalingrad and got hooked on wargames.

Famous ENTJs:

U.S. Presidents: Franklin D. Roosevelt Richard M. Nixon Benny Goodman, "Big Band" leader
                          General Norman Schwarzkopf
                          Harrison Ford
                          Steve Martin
                          Whoopi Goldberg
                          Sigourney Weaver
                          Margaret Thatcher
                          Al Gore (U.S Vice President, 1993-2001)
                          Lamar Alexander (former governor, US Secretary of Education)
                          Les Aspen, former U.S. Secretary of Defense
                          Candace Bergen (Murphy Brown)
                          Dave Letterman
                          Newt Gingrich
                          Patrick Stewart (STNG: Jean Luc Picard)
                          Robert James Waller (author: The Bridges of Madison County)
                          Jim Carrey (Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, The Mask)
                          Steve Jobs
                          Penn Jillette

Fictional ENTJs:

Geordi LaForge (STNG)
                          Last edited by Priest; 18 Apr 05, 10:36.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor
                            ISTJ - "The Inspector" - just like Monk!!!

56/1/25/11
                            Monk rocks!!!
                            The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

How very droll you all are, look at all you Jundgementals!

Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Perceiving 56 62 38 22

Siberian Heat, in case you missed this, this might help your study.

Games NTs seem to especially enjoy include Risk, Bridge, Stratego, Chess, Go, and word games of all sorts. (I have an ENTP friend that loves Boggle and its variations. We've been known to sit in public places and pick a word off a menu or mayonnaise jar to see who can make the most words from its letters on a napkin in two minutes.) The INTP mailing list has enjoyed a round of Metaphore, virtual volleyball, and a few 'finish the series' brain teasers.
                              http://typelogic.com/intp.html

Interesting if any more of that type pop up, not many of us around they reckon.

This bit is interesting:

Many regard this attitude as arrogant, and Architects are likely, especially in their later years, after finding out that most others are faking an understanding of the laws of nature, to think of themselves as the prime movers who must pit themselves against nature and society in an endless struggle to define ends clearly and adopt whatever means that promise success. If this is arrogance, then at least it is not vanity, and without question it has driven the design engineers to take the lead in molding the structure of civilization.
                              http://keirsey.com/personality/nt.html

Me arrogant? Well if by small possibity it is true, at least its good arrogance, not the vane type.

Anyway, theres something fishy in the whole thing, who can spot the odd one out here:

Famous INTPs:

Socrates
                              Rene Descartes
                              Blaise Pascal
                              Sir Isaac Newton

U.S. Presidents:
                              James Madison
                              John Quincy Adams
                              John Tyler
                              Dwight D. Eisenhower
                              Gerald Ford

William Harvey (pioneer in human physiology)
                              C. G. Jung, (Freudian defector, author of Psychological Types, etc.)
                              William James
                              Albert Einstein
                              Tom Foley (Speaker of the House--U.S. House of Representatives)
                              Henri Mancini
                              Bob Newhart
                              Jeff Bingaman, U.S. Senator (D.--NM)
                              Rick Moranis (Honey, I Shrunk The Kids)
                              Midori Ito (ice skater, Olympic silver medalist)
                              Tiger Woods

Rick Moranis (Honey, I Shrunk The Kids) WTF? How'd he get in to the A list?
                              Last edited by Temujin; 18 Apr 05, 07:47.
                              Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

This might help further analysis.

What do you all think when you first see a battlefield? Especially if you have a good idea of a force structure and how to use it.

I immediately look at the terrain, positive and negative points, then employ my force to suit it. Does anyone do it differently? Like try to make it fit your plan, instead of it dominating your plan?
                                Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X