Article - Understanding Your Local Grognard Parts I & II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article - Understanding Your Local Grognard Parts I & II

I have written what I hope will be an interesting article on who we are as Wargamers. I've often wondered if there are common traits which draw us to wargaming, or others which prevent outsiders from picking up the hobby. Using a short personality quiz and a small survey, I hope to get a better understanding of our community in generalized terms - and perhaps draw some conclusions using that data.

Most people would agree that personality tests are inaccurate at best (I would agree), but a quick sample of the WarfareHQ staff found an interesting number of similar personality types. Maybe coincidence or maybe just a function of the type of people who can be suckered into joining the staff. Or can we attribute it to the fact that we are all Grogs? Until we learn more, it will just be recorded as a scientific curiousity, but I hope a larger sample set will lead to some answers...

Please take a moment to check it out, and feel free to use this space to discuss your personality type and the article in general. I hope you enjoy the exercise.

Wargaming Survey Part I: Understanding Your Local Grognard
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

It seems we discovered wargaming the same way, started with modeling and went to Squad Leader because it looked cool.

I'm a Introverted, sensing, thinking, judgeing personality type which makes me an Inspector. The description is pretty dead on for me. Almost scary.

Not sure what the numbers mean but mine are 44 25 50 56.

Now you got me thinking about dusting off the ol' ASL rulebook...
    Last edited by Freightshaker; 24 Mar 05, 18:14.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Good article - I like the pedantic and detail-oriented part.
      I'm curious about what the results will show, whether a personality trend emerges or not. From gut feeling I would say no but it's just an uninformed opinion.

Btw, i'm flattered to know I'm an INTJ (67/25/62/22) and fall in the same category as

Dan Aykroyd (The Blues Brothers)
      Susan B. Anthony
      Arthur Ashe, tennis champion
      Augustus Caesar (Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus)
      Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)
      William J. Bennett, "drug czar"
      William F. Buckley, Jr.
      Raymond Burr (Perry Mason, Ironsides)
      Chevy Chase (Cornelius Crane) (Fletch)
      Phil Donahue
      Michael Dukakis, governor of Mass., 1988 U.S. Dem. pres. candidate
      Greg Gumbel, television sportscaster
      Hannibal, Carthaginian military leader
      Veronica Hamel (Hill Street Blues)
      Angela Lansbury (Murder, She Wrote)
      Orel Leonard Hershiser, IV
      Peter Jennings
      Charles Everett Koop
      Ivan Lendl
      C. S. Lewis (The Chronicles of Narnia)
      Joan Lunden
      Edwin Moses, U.S. olympian (hurdles)
      Martina Navratilova
      Charles Rangel, U. S. Representative, D-N.Y.
      Pernell Roberts (Bonanza)
      Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California
      Josephine Tey (Elizabeth Mackintosh), mystery writer (Brat Farrar)
      Rudy Giuliani, former New York City mayor
      Donald Rumsfeld, US Secretary of Defense
      General Colin Powell, US Secretary of State
      Lance Armstrong
      Richard Gere (Pretty Woman)
      Katie Couric

U.S. Presidents:
      Chester A. Arthur
      Calvin Coolidge
      Thomas Jefferson
      John F. Kennedy
      James K. Polk
      Woodrow Wilson
      link

Lol what a list... At least I learnt today what Hannibal Barca and Martina Navratilova have in common!

Comment

Your Type is
        ISTJ
        Introverted, Sensing,Thinking,Judging
        Strength of the preferences % 44,12,25,78

Brian
        I think this is a great idea and a good thing you are doing for the wargaming community. As a younger wargamer (18) might I make an observation about why kids probably arent interested in wargaming.
        First most think that it is to slow, in our fast paced culture they want something that they can either do quickly and see results or has to be done at a high speed with not much thinking.
        Second the culture that I and kids are growing up in is a image and visual based culture alot of kids my age and younger take one look at a wargame and think ug thats not fun to look at and just pass by. I think that is sad and is the fault of our culture. For kids these days it has to be an aquired taste in graphics.
        Third alot of younger people just dont want to learn or do anything that will require some learning or thought to do. They would rather play the mindless shooting games that require little to no thought. It just comes down to people being lazy and not wanting to have to apply themselves to a hobby.
        Finally I think alot of people look at wargaming as (no offesene) a bunch of old guys sitting around talking about the war and playing a boring slow board game. I know thats not true but thats how alot of people I think sterotype it.
        I hope that helps maybe explain a perspective from a younger generation in regards to wargaming. And if anyone has any question about the younger generation and how to get us into wargaming or anything like ask and I'll do my best to help you understand.
        DJ

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

Originally posted by SoccerDJ
          I hope that helps maybe explain a perspective from a younger generation in regards to wargaming. And if anyone has any question about the younger generation and how to get us into wargaming or anything like ask and I'll do my best to help you understand.
          DJ
          Thanks for that perspective. That is exactly the type of response I was looking for here. Observations like this are very helpful in the process of understanding ourselves better.
          Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Don't want to be the odd man out here but I haven't actually ever played a boardgame... *BUT*.. I do know someone who is pretty keen to teach me, and so it might be interesting, with the results of the test, to see if I actually do get into it. Gawd I may even be good at it. I shall let you know.

It's a very interesting article and idea Brian, thanks

Your Type is
            INFJ
            Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging
            Strength of the preferences %
            78 38 50 22

Comment

What a surprise that so far all of us are introverted!! Think that's a given considering the hobby.
              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I haven't taken the test yet, but anyone telling me I was an introvert, would have just invalidated the entire survey

I am not only an extrovert, but I have no concept of what "shy" even feels like, and the notion of being "embarrassed" by something is an affliction others suffer eh, not me.

I do enjoy meditating though.
                Life is change. Built models for decades.
                Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Your Type is
                  INFJ
                  Introverted58/Intuitive62/Feeling62/Judging1
                  Supposedly people that would fall under this are Ghandi, Eleanor Roosevelt, Carrie Fisher, Billy Crystal and Robert Burns (one of my favorite poets actually).

A "Counselor" supposedly rare...

I'm along in that younger generation... And I concur with DJ, he's right.
                  The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Hmm my confidence is restored.

NOT INFJ

I'm an ENFP hehe
                    Extroverted Intuitive Feeling Perceiving
                    56 38 50 44
                    Life is change. Built models for decades.
                    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I stand by my personality... and my other 10 as well :P

Well Aries seems to be an exception to the rule. At least in the Introverted/Extroverted area. Are there any others like that?
                      The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Just for the record...

Your Type is
                        ENFJ
                        Extroverted Intuitive Feeling Judging
                        Strength of the preferences %
                        1 62 12 33
                        a brain cell

Comment

Oh-Oh INTJ Mastermind of all things
                          56-12!-88-78 for scores
                          Last edited by Foggy; 25 Mar 05, 09:29. Reason: scores
                          Black & blue from the TOAW learning curve!

Comment

Originally posted by nemo
                            Btw, i'm flattered to know I'm an INTJ (67/25/62/22) and fall in the same category as
                            I'm an INTJ too. Why am I not at the list???

Comment

I`m rated as an ENFJ !

My Ratings were :
                              Extrovertism 44%
                              Intuitive 25%
                              Feeling 25%
                              Judging 25%

Thanks 4 the survey Brian, I found it veey interesting !
                              (FGM) Antoni Chmielowski
                              Member of CM & ACOW Ladders @ www.theblitz.org

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X