Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people still think video games are bad for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people still think video games are bad for you?

So I am 20 and I am a gamer but one of the things that really irritates me is that there are still a lot of people out there who think that games are bad for you. Why is that? I thought that the idea that games were harmful was something back in the 1980s,1990s era. Why are there still people in 2014 who still think that games are bad? What do you think?

Gigo.
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

It takes time away from your practice with the longbow.
      Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
      Hyperwar, Whats New
      World War II Resources
      The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

It isn't the game but the gamer and how much time they spend playing games instead of out dealing with real. For kids that is important being out playing with friends and running around playing and burning calories.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth001 View Post
          So I am 20 and I am a gamer but one of the things that really irritates me is that there are still a lot of people out there who think that games are bad for you. Why is that? I thought that the idea that games were harmful was something back in the 1980s,1990s era. Why are there still people in 2014 who still think that games are bad? What do you think?
          Do what you want to do, Earth001. Your sense of what is culturally important and important to you is going to be right on for your generation and well past it. I am a WHOLE lot older than you, and I can remember when science fiction was "junk." Now much of the 50's and 60's fantasy and scifi are major literary classics. I can remember when Sen. Kefauver got laws passed against scary comic books! (Good, because as a child those boys' comics really scared me .....) And all comic books were a waste of time, supposedly. Now the originals are worth thousands and many current movies are comic books brought to movement and life. TV was the Boob Tube --- but now it's our major cultural organ.

I've been a gamer since the first one: that was the 60s text game "Adventure" on the Stanford mainframes that spread widely. (Its latter parts are fairly hard! Elves carry you cheering on their shoulders if you get to the end.) I have them stacked and piled up from Infocom to the newest Tomb Raider, and am working my way through all the Assassin's Creed games now. They are incredibly beautiful! Educational! Good for the brain!!

Trust yourself. Whatever you love, you are right. Wait 20 years and laugh at the people who said it was bad for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Phebe View Post
            Do what you want to do, Earth001. Your sense of what is culturally important and important to you is going to be right on for your generation and well past it. I am a WHOLE lot older than you, and I can remember when science fiction was "junk." Now much of the 50's and 60's fantasy and scifi are major literary classics. I can remember when Sen. Kefauver got laws passed against scary comic books! (Good, because as a child those boys' comics really scared me .....) And all comic books were a waste of time, supposedly. Now the originals are worth thousands and many current movies are comic books brought to movement and life. TV was the Boob Tube --- but now it's our major cultural organ.

I've been a gamer since the first one: that was the 60s text game "Adventure" on the Stanford mainframes that spread widely. (Its latter parts are fairly hard! Elves carry you cheering on their shoulders if you get to the end.) I have them stacked and piled up from Infocom to the newest Tomb Raider, and am working my way through all the Assassin's Creed games now. They are incredibly beautiful! Educational! Good for the brain!!

Trust yourself. Whatever you love, you are right. Wait 20 years and laugh at the people who said it was bad for you.
            Thanks, I will probably be trying to save my kids or grandkids from some sort of evil media influence when I am older.

Comment

If video games make you violent, then playing monopoly should make you rich, chess should make you a tactical expert, and sports games should make me a professional sports player.

Also, people have been violent for the last 5,000 years before video games.
              The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

I also don't get it how society worships movie stars and regards films to be art forms. Yet, playing video games is somehow lesser than that. Why do people get to dictate what is better than others?

Comment

For me it's only bad in that my husband rags me about the amount of time I spent doing it. :P
                  TTFN

Comment

I also don't get it how society worships movie stars and regards films to be art forms. Yet, playing video games is somehow lesser than that. Why do people get to dictate what is better than others?
                    'Cuz they were here first gosh-darn-it and didn't have any of this young whipper-snapper stuff when they were a-growing up. Made their own fun so they did. With hemp.

OP made the point it distracts from the practice with the Longbow - a claim levelled at Football during the Hundred Years War. There's nothing new under the sun with telling younger folk what's important and what isn't it's part of human nature and nothing really wrong with it. In the mid 20th Cinema wasn't seen as art, TV even later, yet now they get a lot of money, the music in them is highly praised and the acting lauded.

In the Uk there is a radio station called ClassicFM, on Saturdays it has a slot called 'At the movies' where the composer Howard Goodall puts on sound-tracks from movies. This would have been unthinkable a few decades back, to compare modern 'classical' orchestral work with Brahms or Mozart. NOW; occasionally he plays the music from games, like Skyrim and HALO, which IMO are just as good if not better than Dances With Wolves soundtrack etc. but there are still folk who ring in and complain about this, yet are more than happy to listen to movie sound-tracks. Oftentimes now it's even the same composer and orchestra for games and movies
                    ------
                    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

I came to video gaming in my 50s. I can't imagine wasting that kind of time when I was 20.

See, back then we had these things called 'girls', which where a much more compelling hobby. They even had an achievement level titled 'cheerleaders'.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Girls? I though they where a myth like the secruit level of mario.
                        you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Damn, you have get outside and to the beach. They congregate there in skimpy clothes...

Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

If you mean, why are there still people that think that they make you violent, then yes I wonder this too. It seems pretty illogical to assume they make you violent--there's millions and millions of gamers worldwide, yet none of the stuff in Ukraine is due to video games, none of the stuff in Syria is due to video games, etc. It seems like there'd be utter chaos if games actually made you violent.

I mean, even Spartacus Legends, perhaps the most intense and rage-worthy game I've ever played (but it's a cool game), doesn't make me violent. Sometimes while playing it I get very tense...too tense probably...but when I shut it off, and cool down (literally...), I don't start planning school shootings.

However as it was said, spending too much time on video games can/will detract from things such as school and work. In this sense they would be bad. But that's the fault of the gamer basically.
                            "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X