Elder Scrolls Skyrim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
    I take you didn't play Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion (a better game than Skyrim imho)?

You have to either use repair kits which you can purchase at stores or pay a NPC Armorer or Blacksmith type to repair your stuff.

IIRC you can also repair them yourself if you have access to a smithy and the skill level required.

As far as the bugs are concerned, remember this is an older beta and is being used primarily as a server stress test.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it though.
    I haven't played Oblivion though I know that they had a repairing thing in it which wasn't in Skyrim.

Right now I have had to equip one or two different armors or whatnot because they would provide a little better protection, having less mileage. I will have to try getting to a shop if I can find one.

And yes it is indeed just beta, so I was expecting such problems but maybe not quite as much as I did yesterday. Still, at least it was playable today. At least I got 1 good day in.

It's also kind of annoying (hopefully they'll fix this eventually) because you can walk through enemies and vice versa. Many times, an enemy will like attack and walk right through me and I have to turn around and hit them or something. It's kind of annoying.

Also, you quite literally can't run away from enemies whatsoever. Maybe it's just a lag thing but it seems like strike radii for even smaller weapons is insanely huge. I mean, it should be that if you get in a tangle and see you won't win, you should be able to sprint away and then run normally away (like I remember in Skyrim) but the way it is, I'm not powerful enough to hold my own against multiple enemies at the same time. Luckily other players have showed up to give aid sometimes but that doesn't always happen. And combining that with a huge enemy population density (like this one bandit camp you have to go through) that seems to constantly respawn, it's practically impossible to get far--which is strange given that it's a beginner's area I was in (assuming).

Again maybe it's just something with the/my connection but hopefully it will all be worked out for the actual game.

Overall the game (at least for my graphic settings) seems perhaps kind of like Oblivion--from pics I've seen of Oblivion. Shall I say, more arcadey/cartoony? Not necessarily a bad thing--it's just kind of a big change from Skyrim lol.

And it's worthy to note that some of the females in game...they did a good job on those character...models...

Perhaps better than Skyrim--Skyrim had some nice ones but...

It's funny because I remember I was watching my brother play Skyrim and he was in Markarth, and he saw that Hroki lady, and was like "she's hot." It cracked me up because I never would've expected he'd say that about someone in a game lol!

Weapons are kind of different than Skyrim. From the beginning, you get to choose either:

-sword and shield
    -2 axes
    -bow
    -one or two two handed weaps. I don't remember exactly what.

I've picked up a 2 handed Maul (don't use it though--it's not in Ragnar Lothbrok's style), a shield, and such.

Oh speaking of using a maul, Assassin's Creed II is working for me! I redownloaded it and it's more or less flawless. And I decided that I want to use the most brutal weapons possible: was using a war hammer and now I have a Maul. Damn the counter kills with the hammer/maul are brutal. I especially like it if I'm close to a wall, counter the enemy, hit him low so he bends over, then upswing and make him fly into the wall and fall back down. No I'm not a sadist.
    Last edited by Super Six 4; 03 Mar 14, 02:11.
    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
      I haven't played Oblivion though I know that they had a repairing thing in it which wasn't in Skyrim.

Right now I have had to equip one or two different armors or whatnot because they would provide a little better protection, having less mileage. I will have to try getting to a shop if I can find one.

And yes it is indeed just beta, so I was expecting such problems but maybe not quite as much as I did yesterday. Still, at least it was playable today. At least I got 1 good day in.

It's also kind of annoying (hopefully they'll fix this eventually) because you can walk through enemies and vice versa. Many times, an enemy will like attack and walk right through me and I have to turn around and hit them or something. It's kind of annoying.

Also, you quite literally can't run away from enemies whatsoever. Maybe it's just a lag thing but it seems like strike radii for even smaller weapons is insanely huge. I mean, it should be that if you get in a tangle and see you won't win, you should be able to sprint away and then run normally away (like I remember in Skyrim) but the way it is, I'm not powerful enough to hold my own against multiple enemies at the same time. Luckily other players have showed up to give aid sometimes but that doesn't always happen. And combining that with a huge enemy population density (like this one bandit camp you have to go through) that seems to constantly respawn, it's practically impossible to get far--which is strange given that it's a beginner's area I was in (assuming).

Again maybe it's just something with the/my connection but hopefully it will all be worked out for the actual game.

Overall the game (at least for my graphic settings) seems perhaps kind of like Oblivion--from pics I've seen of Oblivion. Shall I say, more arcadey/cartoony? Not necessarily a bad thing--it's just kind of a big change from Skyrim lol.

And it's worthy to note that some of the females in game...they did a good job on those character...models...
      From what I've read, the beta that was available for testing this weekend is 3 months old.

All of the stuff you mentioned had been corrected in the latest beta.

They released the old beta with the extra key because they wanted to overwhelm the server, not fix bugs.

And I agree the game looks more like Oblivion which I'm fine with. I still think it looks great!

I highly recommend Oblivion. I think you can buy the Game of the Year edition for 15 or 20 bucks for PS3.
      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

From what I've read, the beta that was available for testing this weekend is 3 months old.

All of the stuff you mentioned had been corrected in the latest beta.

They released the old beta with the extra key because they wanted to overwhelm the server, not fix bugs.

And I agree the game looks more like Oblivion which I'm fine with. I still think it looks great!

I highly recommend Oblivion. I think you can buy the Game of the Year edition for 15 or 20 bucks for PS3.
        Yeah I read that it was supposed to be a stress test. Which is a good thing for them to do in its own right. I didn't know it would be a 3 month old version--it would be interesting to see what the newer version would be.

Yeah and I don't have my graphics settings up very high IIRC so it probably looks more cartoony or whatnot then. I'm afraid to put graphics up all the way, given the problems I was having as it is in game. Maybe it wouldn't really affect it though. Who knows.

I don't have a PS3, just an Xbox at home. Maybe it's available there.
        "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

I don't have a PS3, just an Xbox at home. Maybe it's available there.
          It is. My son has an Xbox 360 and he has it for that system.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

It is. My son has an Xbox 360 and he has it for that system.
            Okay good to know.

and BLOODY HELL the price of ESO.....no. Just no. The initial price is already the price of a hot new video game and apparently it's 15 bucks per month on top of that. So from say April 2014 to April 2015 that's...a $240 game--is that math right? What's the point? I mean are game companies who let you pay 50 or 60 for a game with multiplayer and don't make you pay continuously actually doing bad and therefore it's necessary to make you pay exponentially for the game? /rant

I mean it's one thing when an MMO lets you use real money to get stuff in game but it doesn't absolutely require you to. And you can control how much you spend (well theoretically lol) but having to pay extra for each new month just seems stupid.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong though, somehow.

--Hávamál

Comment

The point of a 15 dollars per month subscription is the developers will be able to continue with new content on a regular basis so you have a growing, evolving game world.

Look at it this way, 15 bucks is the cost of a couple meals at Mcdonalds or Taco Bell. I think its well worth the amount of entertainment you'll get per month.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

The point of a 15 dollars per month subscription is the developers will be able to continue with new content on a regular basis so you have a growing, evolving game world.
                Actually I suppose I hadn't thought about it like that.

Look at it this way, 15 bucks is the cost of a couple meals at Mcdonalds or Taco Bell. I think its well worth the amount of entertainment you'll get per month.
                Or like that!

--Hávamál

Comment

My friend was not too impressed with the new Skyrim MMO. He says having dozens of people running around the dungeon you're in totally destroys the suspense and makes thieving/stealthy characters seem ridiculous. One of the best parts of Skyrim was knowing you were alone in a very large place with no one to come to your aid.

Comment

This game is amazing. The world is really expansive.

Comment

Okay good to know.

and BLOODY HELL the price of ESO.....no. Just no. The initial price is already the price of a hot new video game and apparently it's 15 bucks per month on top of that. So from say April 2014 to April 2015 that's...a $240 game--is that math right? What's the point? I mean are game companies who let you pay 50 or 60 for a game with multiplayer and don't make you pay continuously actually doing bad and therefore it's necessary to make you pay exponentially for the game? /rant

I mean it's one thing when an MMO lets you use real money to get stuff in game but it doesn't absolutely require you to. And you can control how much you spend (well theoretically lol) but having to pay extra for each new month just seems stupid.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong though, somehow.
                      I'm not inclined to pay a subscription fee. I tried WoW and a couple other MMOs, and their gameplay wasn't sufficiently improved over solo play to warrant the money. The first few raids were fun, but racing through a area like you're on a deadline, getting yelled at by team-mates because you stopped to skin or harvest...it got old quick.

I think MMOs have a lot of potential, but they're not at a stage now where I'm really interested.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by StellarRat View Post
                        My friend was not too impressed with the new Skyrim MMO. He says having dozens of people running around the dungeon you're in totally destroys the suspense and makes thieving/stealthy characters seem ridiculous. One of the best parts of Skyrim was knowing you were alone in a very large place with no one to come to your aid.
                        Exactly.
                        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I was going to buy ESO (Elder Scrolls Online) and give it a try as my first MMO but backed out after horrible reviews.

It looks like crap.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

YEars later; I'#m still firing up Skyrim (plus DLCs) on PS3 every Christmas. FOr me it's looking like best game of the last gen, upt here with Red Dead, which I spent hours on. Had my PC been up to it, I don't doubt my brief love-affair with the PC version and all the miraculous mods would have cemented this view of the game even more. ESOnline looks wank, but I bet the next proper game will be just as good as Skyrim - I'm hoping for a Hammerfell setting.
                            ------
                            'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X