Addicted to a Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addicted to a Game?

I made a coffee. It was hot. I left it for what I thought was a few moments to pursue a few turns on a PC game. When I went to drink it again it was stone cold.

Perhaps I should leave the game alone?

What are your moments that you realise you are spending too much time on a PC game?
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

I had two.

A long time ago I bought Lord of the Realm. I started playing it and one complete day later finally shut down the computer. That was the quickest 24 hours in my life.

The second was much more recently. I am currently playing a mod for TOAW III (Vietnam Combat Operations created by Bonnierat). I got so into the game the other night that I completely forgot about the first game of the Stanley Cup!!

All that being said, I won't be taking a break from VCO - a great mod.
    "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
    -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Drunk a lot of cold coffee in conjunction with PC games,not so much these days though.Badly addicted to board war-games in my youth 6 or 7 nights a week wasn't uncommon,with 24 hr plus stints on the days off work,grew up since,well a little bit.
      Wack tac mac hey.
      Regards.
      Grishnak.

Comment

I have Zoo Tycoon The Complete Collection. It has the marine park and dinosaur park add on packs. I'll spend all night playing it in free form mode, creating perfect zoos. It's the best game ever and I can't believe I've been playing it for almost 10 years and 4 computers!
        Proud to be an American Veteran

Comment

Empire: Total War. I remember countless times, telling myself that I'd be satisfied with conquering just one more province in India. I new it was time to call it quits when the sun came up.
          ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
            I made a coffee. It was hot. I left it for what I thought was a few moments to pursue a few turns on a PC game. When I went to drink it again it was stone cold.

What are your moments that you realise you are spending too much time on a PC game?
            I remember those cold cups of coffee or tea... ended up buying a thermos, that worked a treat.
            "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
            Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

The other night I stayed until 3 AM playing a game to relax and instead lost sleeping time. I responded by deleting the game. I lost track of time.

Now that many online games are accessed to steam, you can search the SN's of other players to see how many hours they played a game.

Some people are definitely addicted, and play too much. There are many people who have logged 2,000+ hours of game playing time. Or thousands, which is frankly kind of scary.

It is not atypical to see someone with 300 to 1,000 hours accumulated on each game they like.
              Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
              Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
              Barbarossa Derailed I & II
              Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

Currently it is Wargame: Airland Battle, although I havent quite played it all night yet. Although I have had a few nights where I played Axis and Allies board games with friends all night, just didnt know when to stop.

Comment

Skyrim, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion. Realy, any of the Bethesda open world games. The sheer number of times I said to myself 'okay, I'll just do this quest and then call it quits' and before I know it it's 3 in the morning.
                  -----------------------------------
                  Sings we a song of wolves.
                  Who smells fear and slays the coward.
                  Sings we a song of man.
                  Who smells gold and slays his brother

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfleader View Post
                    Skyrim, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion. Realy, any of the Bethesda open world games. The sheer number of times I said to myself 'okay, I'll just do this quest and then call it quits' and before I know it it's 3 in the morning.
                    Been there, done that, will do it again. Plus the Borderlands series.
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfleader View Post
                      Yep.

Add Dragon Age: Origins, the Mass Effect Trilogy, Baldurs Gate I and II, Icewind Dale I and II, and Civ to the list.

All great games.
                      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

I know the game you are on about. In early 2003, I installed a copy on to my PC, started playing, then after a while, realised that it was 2008

Paul
                        ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                        All human ills he can subdue,
                        Or with a bauble or medal
                        Can win mans heart for you;
                        And many a blessing know to stew
                        To make a megloamaniac bright;
                        Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                        The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                          Yep.

Add Dragon Age: Origins, the Mass Effect Trilogy, Baldurs Gate I and II, Icewind Dale I and II, and Civ to the list.

All great games.
                          Played those to death as well.
                          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I still play CIV 4 just about every night. At Noble level my wins are rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                              I remember those cold cups of coffee or tea... ended up buying a thermos, that worked a treat.
                              Probably not the way forward , albeit a good idea.

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                              I know the game you are on about. In early 2003, I installed a copy on to my PC, started playing, then after a while, realised that it was 2008

Paul
                              You do know that this all your fault for sending me the Tech tree for MTW.
                              That's right, it is all your fault.
                              Not mine.
                              Not my fault at all.
                              Your fault............
                              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X