Suggestions for new games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for new games

I'll be looking for some new PC games soon. I and am looking to buy Silent Hunter V (I loved III) -- along with some more SWTOR. But I'm really looking for some new strategic/wargames.

Some of the games I like: Civ (all of them); Strategic Command I; Combat Mission; Rome: Total War; Sid Meier’s Gettysburg; plenty of TOAOW; the old V for Victory series. (Lately I’ve been more into MMORPGs, but I always love the wargames.)

Best space-exploration game?

Any good WWIII/ColdWar games out there?

Naval games?

For WWII:
    I do plan to check out Panzer Corps (is that based on the Panzer General I used to play ~1995?).
    And maybe give Hearts of Iron III a shot.
    I'll give the "new" Strategic Command a shot, but I still resent them for going away from the hexes they used in Strategic Command I.

I generally don’t like RTS games and I’m not looking for anything of Grigsbian depth – just something lighter I can play in bits and pieces in between taking care of the kids and dealing with the real world -- which is why I think Panzer Corps will be a good game. Unfortunately, I don't have access to Wargamer.com right now to find out what the latest and greatest games are.

Any suggestions on some good wargames I should try out soon?
    Last edited by BROJD; 14 Jan 13, 06:08.

Originally posted by BROJD View Post
    I'll be looking for some new PC games soon. I and am looking to buy Silent Hunter V (I loved III) -- along with some more SWTOR. But I'm really looking for some new strategic/wargames.

Some of the games I like: Civ (all of them); Strategic Command I; Combat Mission; Rome: Total War; Sid Meier’s Gettysburg; plenty of TOAOW; the old V for Victory series. (Lately I’ve been more into MMORPGs, but I always love the wargames.)

Naval games?

For WWII:
    I do plan to check out Panzer Corps (is that based on the Panzer General I used to play ~1995?).
    I'll give the "new" Strategic Command a shot, but I still resent them for going away from the hexes they used in Strategic Command I.

I generally don’t like RTS games and I’m not looking for anything of Grigsbian depth – just something lighter I can play in bits and pieces in between taking care of the kids and dealing with the real world -- which is why I think Panzer Corps will be a good game. Unfortunately, I don't have access to Wargamer.com right now to find out what the latest and greatest games are.

You might check the reviews for SH V. Last I remember it wasn't too well thought of. As far as space, I'd try Sword of the Stars or SOTS II. II is much deeper, but is still being patched although it is pretty playable. For WW II l'd take a look at Battlefront's Combat Mission Normandy. It's a super accurate tactical game. Might be a bit much for a beginner, but you don't sound like a beginner. Real world tactics are required to win.

Comment

Any of the close combat series, my favorite is CC2. Two player mode will get your heart pounding... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_C...Bridge_Too_Far
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Thanks. My research on SH V says that it's pretty good if heavily modded, a lot like SH III was. The Combat Mission games have always been a favorite of mine.

I'll definitely look into Sword of the Stars.

I'm pretty limited in my web access now, but I've been looking at these games. Any comments/thoughts?

Flashpoint Germany
        Carriers at War
        Napoleon Total War
        Alea Jacta Est

XCOM Enemy Unknown
        Sins of a Solar Empire
        Endless Space
        Distant Worlds

Comment

I love Napoleon Total War. Very addicting. This might be good for you since you enjoy Civ. It has some vaguely similar ideas.
          AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
          The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
            I love Napoleon Total War. Very addicting. This might be good for you since you enjoy Civ. It has some vaguely similar ideas.
            Thanks. Rome Total War was great, but I've never played any other TW games. I'm looking forward to RTW II coming out this year (or so they say). NTW might tide me over.

Comment

(Damn it to hell. Stupid forum ate my long post...)

Just wanted to say that if you're looking for games with an emphasis on space exploration, then I have to disagree with StellarRat's recommendation of the Sword of the Stars series. Those games are focused on combat and ship design, with the strategic layer mainly serving as the raison d'être for the battles.

Same applies to the Sins of a Solar Empire franchise: Pretty battles, but the grand strategy and exploration elements are extremely light.

Now if you *want* that sort of game, then I definitely recommend getting one or both of them, as they do combat very well. Just don't expect much else out of them.

If you want a space strategy game with good exploration elements, then Distant Worlds is the one you want to get. Between derelict (but powerful) ships, space monsters, lost civilizations, abandoned space stations harboring secrets (and/or threats), ancient ruins, and...other things (hey I don't want to spoil everything for you!), there's always something to find.
              "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Comment

Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue and the updates Warsaw to Paris

Comment

Kahless -- I'm debating between Distant Worlds and Endless Space. I've read mixed things on DW and the Endless Space reviews say that it's gotten better with some patches.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahless View Post
                    Just wanted to say that if you're looking for games with an emphasis on space exploration, then I have to disagree with StellarRat's recommendation of the Sword of the Stars series. Those games are focused on combat and ship design, with the strategic layer mainly serving as the raison d'être for the battles.
                    I'm going to disagree with your disagreement. Mostly, I'm talking about Sword of Stars II here. Although ship design and combat are an important part of Sword of the Stars II it is quite possible to win the game without a lot of fighting if you choose the proper victory conditions. Much like Civilization you will probably be forced to fight at defensively by a more aggressive civilization occasionally, but YOU can choose a different path to victory including simply winning by diplomatic means. There are several different types of victory conditions that can be set at the start of the game. Also, SOTS II, has a lot of exploration (depending on how big you set the galaxy size), tech, and economic development strategy. You've got a huge tech tree (much of which is devoted to trade, governance and diplomatic pursuits not just combat equipment), space stations, asteroid mining, budgeting, governance options, trade, independent colonies, leader management, intelligence/counter-intelligence, surveillance, and diplomacy. There are also random elements like disasters, space monsters, ancient artifacts, special planets, special research, etc... It also supports multiplayer games if you want to play other humans including team play. Although their galaxy isn't as big as Distant Worlds it's big enough for you to spend WEEKS of real time exploring and exploiting it.

Comment

@StellarRat: Fair enough. I only have direct experience with the first one, so you would know better than I. It's just that practically all one ever hears is about how great the battles look and how robust the ship design is, so it's hard not to get the impresson that the sequel is largely more of the same.

Kahless -- I'm debating between Distant Worlds and Endless Space. I've read mixed things on DW and the Endless Space reviews say that it's gotten better with some patches.
                      I've read that as well, that Endless Space has noticably improved with the various updates it's received. (Indeed, I'm pretty sure I myself will pick it up eventually; the devs have been so good about providing continuous, long-term support, that I believe they deserve my money for that reason alone.)

However, by most accounts, Distant Worlds is still the better game in terms of exploration. Not that DW is perfect by any means -- the civilian economy still needs work, the macromanagement tools while useful remain very imperfect, and the game with both expansion packs (which most feel are necessary to fully enjoy it) is bloody expensive.

However, it offers a lot more in the way of things to discover: derelict (but still-powerful) warships, space creatures, lost civilizations, ancient ruins, abandoned space stations (which frequently harbor lost technology, secrets, and/or threats), etc. One of Distant Worlds' biggest strengths is the portrayal of a "living galaxy", and the exploration elements is one of the major ways in which it does so.

All that being said, you could of course just get both games. A guy could do worse.
                      "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Kahless View Post
                        @StellarRat:
                        All that being said, you could of course just get both games. A guy could do worse.
                        I'd love to get both games! Alas, between kids, a job that keeps my busy (when I'm actually home), a wonderful wife, and other stuff, my time is more valuable than my money, so I have to focus my gaming efforts on the games that are really worth it. Hence, I usually do a lot of research before investing in a game. And I try a lot of demos...

I should be home in less than two months, and I plan to have a new computer delivered waiting when I get home.

I really do appreciate everyone's feedback. Heck, part of the fun is reading about and researching all these games!

Comment

If you're into World War II, get Hearts of Iron III, along with the "Semper Fi", "For the Motherland" and "Their Finest Hour" expansion packs. Really extensive strategy game that can go from 1936-1948.
                          SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Naval games?

For WWII:

Newly release this fall:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/...gns:.Red.Storm

You are the commander of either NATO or Soviet forces locked in battle on the ground in 1980’s Central Europe. As commander, it is your task to provide the battle plan orders to your units. You need to know your mission objectives, strength and weakness of both your forces and you enemy, lay of the land, weather, and time of day in order to come out on the winning end. Your crews will do their best to follow your orders and execute the plan, but in war, no plan survives first contact. You will need to think on the fly and adjust to the ever changing flow of battle.

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm features an innovative asynchronous turn structure that models the OODA loop, huge maps, hundreds of meticulously researched platforms and weapons, detailed orders of battle, realistic modeling of modern combat including armor, infantry, helicopters, airpower and chemical and nuclear weapons, 2 campaigns and over 20 single scenarios, realistic weather conditions, modding options and much more!
                            EXCELLENT game. Can not recommend it enough. The developers have provided above and beyond service since release.
                            “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                            “To talk of many things:
                            Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                            Of cabbages—and kings—
                            And why the sea is boiling hot—
                            And whether pigs have wings.”
                            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X