Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer game sales decline in US?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ame-sales.html

Strong sales of the latest Call of Duty and Halo sequels were not enough to prevent a drop in annual US video game sales, according to consumer research firm NPD.

The report claims that sales of hardware and software by retailers were down by 11 per cent compared with a year ago, though the figures do not include sales of games on smartphones and tablets.
    I wonder why this is? recession? and I cannot accept that smart-phones and tablets are picking up gamers, as BBCs Click used to say, because in no way does a gamer wake up one morning and think, '**** this game of Skyrim/Fable/Witcher/COD/Forza, I'm going to play Angry Birds'
    ------
    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Originally posted by Selous View Post

I wonder why this is? recession? and I cannot accept that smart-phones and tablets are picking up gamers, as BBCs Click used to say, because in no way does a gamer wake up one morning and think, '**** this game of Skyrim/Fable/Witcher/COD/Forza, I'm going to play Angry Birds'
    Probably recession, lack of new hardware, and the fact that there is no truly original thinking at the big companies. Just shoot, kill, keep score on a board. That's the basic formula and people are starting to get bored with it. This is compounded by the lack of any new truly revolutionary consoles to up the graphics, etc... lately. I bet "true" wargame sales are probably doing better.

Comment

We already have very thing doubled. Consumerism!!!!!
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Recession, but its effects are increased by piracy, in a recession people fall easier to the pirate side.

Comment

I have to wonder if these numbers include digital sales. These kinds of reports often don't, which would radically skew things.
          "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Comment

Good points, on piracy, lack of originality, and digital sales. I haven't brought a COD since Black Ops I and probably won't do again. With the price new titles have been too - over £45 in some cases, it seems likes games are even getting much more expensive, I remember when £35 would be considered expensive. That's a difference of 15 - 20 of your Yankee Dollars. As I'm now a member of the PC gaming master race, too, with less console focus, I'm using my steam account to download stuff more so physical copies are maybe on the way out for me (despite my insisting a couple of years ago it'd never happen because I, and other people, like to see the physical presence of a game or movie on my shelf, not in the ether) The world turns man O.o
            ------
            'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Castro View Post
              Recession, but its effects are increased by piracy, in a recession people fall easier to the pirate side.
              Yarr forever we band 'o pirates!
              The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Strong sales of the latest Call of Duty and Halo sequels were not enough to prevent a drop in annual US video game sales, according to consumer research firm NPD.
                Computer games have become just more of the same ole' thing. The 20th rehash of the same game eventually loses it's appeal. Designers need to think outside the box, but unfortunately game producers are reluctant to do so due to production costs and the risks entailed with coming out with something new.
                If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Very true, the alternatives to the big names are few, and those big studios have already got a safe toe-hold with their Halo, COD, Asscreed, etc. I don't play many of the so called 'Indy' games, but that's where originality is most. They just don't seem to have the production quality/polish I want in a vidjya game.
                  ------

Comment

Very true, the alternatives to the big names are few, and those big studios have already got a safe toe-hold with their Halo, COD, Asscreed, etc. I don't play many of the so called 'Indy' games, but that's where originality is most. They just don't seem to have the production quality/polish I want in a vidjya game.
                    There hasn't been an Ultima IV, Pool of Radiance, Panzer Strike, AoE, Civilization, Command and Conquer, Castle Wolfstein, etc. in quite some time.

Comment

Civ V and Wolfenstein were fairly recent, or maybe just appear recent to me
                      ------

Comment

Civ V and Wolfenstein were fairly recent, or maybe just appear recent to me
                        The originals came out in the early 90's. They were revolutionary games.

Comment

That's interesting. Anecdotally, it seems like my gaming groups have expanded. Some of the games I have seem to have good longevity so we don't expand into other titles often. I've had a Mass Effect multiplayer group for a year now and a Skyrim gang for about as long.

I think the chicks dig the immersive worlds and detail that go into the cultures. I had to read all about Skyrim when I started playing, like the history, the people and the events.

I did just get Halo4 and have read a lot into the Halo world now.
                          TTFN

Comment

I think that's it's not just that there aren't any revolutionary games out there but that there are a number of broader factors contributing toward the "decline". One thing to note is that the sales figures are retail only and don't include smartphones or tablets which are the hottest hardware around nowadays. If you included the data from those platforms, the picture will be substantially different as my kids totally live gaming on the smartphone when they're not next to a standard computer. They don't have access to a tablet (yet) but if they did, I'm sure there'd be a ton of games on there. The numbers probably would also show the skew toward freebie games as well as demo games which my kids seem to use as a testing slate to see if they like the game or not.

Another thing to note is that a lot of gaming has hit the wall due to technology transitioning between smartphones, tablets, pcs, and networking. When networks are better integrated, I suspect different aspects of games will show up on different platforms as you move between them. We're just starting to see this with WiiU, Surface + XB360, and various PSx initiatives. It will be interesting in a few years to see how it all falls out.

Perhaps the real problem with gaming is the novelty is wearing off and we're much more conscious of quality products than the standard rehash so that even sequels of great titles are getting "boring". So stories have to be exceptional as well as the graphics and yet be playable as well. My sons have Halo4 (actually me but I let them use it for now) and it's got a decent story so it can hold everyones attention....

Comment

Originally posted by Kahless View Post
                              I have to wonder if these numbers include digital sales. These kinds of reports often don't, which would radically skew things.
                              I am wondering the same. The old method based on retail sales from brick and mortar stores is way out of date now.
                              "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X