Master Chief is from...Chicago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Chief is from...Chicago?

I've known this for years since I'm an avid listener of WDRV. I thought you guys might find this interesting.

Steve Downes is the 'Halo' master

[...]

Sometimes Downes slips and mentions this on air, but mostly it's an open secret. He has been living this dual existence for more than decade. He became the voice of Master Chief because Bungie, the video game developer that created the "Halo" franchise before being bought by Microsoft in 2000, was initially based in Chicago, in the River North neighborhood. Downes said that when the game makers approached him with the role, they explained the character this way: "He's a super-soldier, a man of few words, a lone wolf, a guy in a spacesuit. You never see his face behind his reflective helmet visor. Think spaghetti Westerns, Clint Eastwood. But in space."

The original "Halo" game was released just before the 2001 holiday season. It was one of the first titles for Microsoft's then-new Xbox home gaming console. Later that winter Downes was visiting a friend in Florida:

"I walked through the TV room in his house and his kids were playing Xbox. I asked what the game was and they said 'Halo,' so I said I voiced a character in that game, and they said, 'Yeah, like who?' I couldn't remember the name, so I said, 'Pretty much the main guy.' They said, 'What, like Master Chief?' And I said, 'Oh, right, that's the name.' They put down their controllers. Within 30 minutes there were literally a dozen kids at the door with their copy of 'Halo,' asking me to sign boxes. I had no idea anybody was playing it. Later we drove by a GameStop in West Palm Beach and, it was like, 'Oh, OK, now I see what the fuss is.'"

Full Article
    ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X