Rainbow Six 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainbow Six 3

Yesterday I picked up RS3 Gold from Steam for 1.64 and I've been having a blast. Yeah, it's a few years old now and the graphics haven't aged well but the gameplay is great. This is a proper Rainbow Six title, not Vegas (so I've read).

RS3 is a tactical shooter and a very good one at that. You command an elite counter-terrorist unit made up from the best around the world and take on a group of Neo-Nazi terrorists. The story isn't what's important but the game play.

The movement can feel a bit slow and clunky at times but you exercise a lot of control over your character, especially in terms of leaning, as you can peek around corners as much or as little as you can (take note BIS).

You can command a maximum of 8 soldiers that can be split up into a maximum of three teams. Commanding your own team is very easy from getting them to hold or follow to room clearance. Ordering your fellow Spec Ops to 'open, flash and clear' is always a buzz and I doubt will ever get old.

You can't directly command the other teams although you can 'switch' to one of their SF blokes during the mission if you want. Before each mission you select the soldiers that will deploy, put them into teams and equip them as you deem necessary. You then switch to a planning screen where you can plan out the entire assault by giving teams waypoints and specific orders like when to lob flashbangs, when to breach doors and the like. You coordinate movements by giving teams holding positions at various points until you issue a go code. They will then proceed with the rest of the plan.

The planning isn't easy, well it's easy to do, but you need to think it out because you don't want your troops to walk into an ambush. I consider a mission failed if I take 2 or more KIA/WIA even if I complete the objectives. You would think that planning the same mission over again with different weapons and tactics would be boring but it's really satisfying to complete a mission successfully with no casualties.

I think this is great tactical shooter, a classic, and I'll get years out of it. What a steal for less than 2.

Check this video out for a good example:

Also, it has a great theme.

I loved playing Raven Shield. Wish they'd update the series for serious tactical shooter fans on the PC.
    RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

I'm very prejudiced against Rainbow Six (and the whole verity of Tom Clancy games, unlike his books), no matter what good things I hear of it I can't bring myself to play it (coupled with the influx of new good games I don't feel bad about it...).

BUT

From the sound of it you'd really enjoy SWAT3 (not so much 4) if you haven't played it and can put your hand on one you won't regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
        I'm very prejudiced against Rainbow Six (and the whole verity of Tom Clancy games, unlike his books), no matter what good things I hear of it I can't bring myself to play it (coupled with the influx of new good games I don't feel bad about it...).
        Was it the AI? The enemy AI I find to be quite good but the friendly AI are another story. They seemed to get killed too easily. It's not so obvious with RS3 but it was with Ghost Recon 1. The AI there are also far too accurate.

BUT

From the sound of it you'd really enjoy SWAT3 (not so much 4) if you haven't played it and can put your hand on one you won't regret it.
        I've heard good things about them both. Apparently, SWAT 3 has some feature about bullet penetration that's lacking in SWAT 4 that makes it the superior game.

I know of this game you might like, it's similar to SWAT and R6 but more hardcore, I haven't played myself though, just read about it and haven't been able to get a copy yet. I was just about to make a topic for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie View Post
          Was it the AI? The enemy AI I find to be quite good but the friendly AI are another story. They seemed to get killed too easily. It's not so obvious with RS3 but it was with Ghost Recon 1. The AI there are also far too accurate.
          Yeah the AI was a part of it- kept running into walls and such, also the auto-aim (which we already talked about I think) but truth be told there wasn't anything specific, just the general feel, hack it's not necessarily logical- back then Delta-Force was my ultimate game and RS was simply different from it, that's it.
          Stupid, I know, but I was like what? 11?
          I've heard good things about them both. Apparently, SWAT 3 has some feature about bullet penetration that's lacking in SWAT 4 that makes it the superior game.
          IIRC SWAT4 simulates bullet penetration as well, in both the titles you can choose your type of ammo based on mission (FMJ/JHP) but in 4 you also get to choose non and less then lethal.

SWAT4 is by no means a bad game, it's quite good and fun (can even get to be a bit eery in certain missions) but I liked 3 better, maybe the missions were funner, maybe it was just the age...

Comment

Yeah, each to their own. I used to play the Delta Force series too. I think it was DF2 and picked it up cheap in a bundle with Commanche Gold. There are are just so few realistic games these days. Rainbow Six died with Lockdown, Ghost Recon 1 was the only good one. The last proper one was The Regiment or SWAT 4, unless you want to call Dragon Rising a realistic shooter.

Comment

BiA would also fall in that category wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
                BiA would also fall in that category wouldn't it?
                Oops, forgot about them. A mate had a couple copies for the PS2 and we had a blast on COOP split screen.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X