Homefront Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homefront Released

Homefront was released today. I've downloaded it and will be firing it up later this afternoon. Anyone else playing?
    RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Wow, that completely slipped under my radar.

Did you get it via steam? for how much is it selling?

I'd appreciate any of your input, I could do with a casual game (as long as it meets my hard criteria ) until CM:BN is released.

Oh wait, need to study...oh, what the hack...

Comment

Originally posted by LongBlade View Post
      Homefront was released today. I've downloaded it and will be firing it up later this afternoon. Anyone else playing?
      Please let us know what you think, particularly on the MP. I have worn BC2 thin and would love another decent MP shooter to hold me until Heroes of Stalingrad is released.
      Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer.

Comment

Found a gameplay vid:

It looks like fun, if a bit of a CoD clone. The only thing that is keeping me from jumping on it is the lack of destructible terrain. This game would rock with crumbling buildings and such but without it, it seems old fashioned. I think the devs made a big mistake by forgoing such a feature.

I probably will get this at some point, but not at full price. With destructible terrain = $50. Without = $35-40. I'm gonna wait for a sale.
        Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
          Wow, that completely slipped under my radar.

Did you get it via steam? for how much is it selling?

I'd appreciate any of your input, I could do with a casual game (as long as it meets my hard criteria ) until CM:BN is released.

Oh wait, need to study...oh, what the hack...
          Mine is a review copy and I did not pay for it.

It's for sale on Steam for $49.99.

So far I've only played about an hour in the single-player game. I'm still trying to put my finger on it, but I'm finding it so-so. Everything is there. It only takes a couple of seconds to get emotionally hooked into hating the Norks.

But...so far gameplay is uninspiring.

It's not a *bad* experience, it's just not edge-of-your-seat Call of Duty (most of them, anyway).

Again, I'm very early in the game and I need to play a lot more to say anything definitive.
          RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Comment

Well, I won't throw 50 bucks for what is by definition casual game (for me that is) I'll wait a while to see if it gets on sale at steam.

Now by "it's not COD" what do you mean? I'm not a great fan of COD and MOH, so it might work for me (although judging from the looks of the weapons and sights in the video RB posted it might won't...)

Comment

Many past Call of Duty games have had stellar single-player campaigns. I didn't love Black Ops (haven't played much, it just didn't hook me like previous ones) but prior ones have been top-notch.

This campaign is good so far, but I'm not feeling fully engaged for some reason. Will have to work on why.

Comment

Initial sales are good.

Here's a fresh press release.

THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) today announced that first day sales of Homefront™, its thrilling first person shooter with outstanding multiplayer, approximated 375,000 units in North America. The game is scheduled to ship in Europe and Asia Pacific throughout this week.

”Homefront’s excellent multiplayer experience, combined with our commitment to dedicated servers, make this a must-have purchase for gamers,” said Danny Bilson, EVP Core Games, THQ. “Due to the strong and growing demand for Homefront’s multiplayer, we continue to add dedicated server capacity. We are confident that the large-scale multiplayer maps featuring 32 players, vehicles, infantry and drones, will continue to be a major draw for the huge audience of FPS gamers looking for a new experience over the coming months.”

“We are delighted with first day sales for Homefront and are already fulfilling re-orders for the game from multiple retailers,” said Brian Farrell, THQ President and CEO.

Comment

If you look carefully at that press release, they're hyping the multiplayer game. That's the part I haven't looked at yet.

Let me play a bit more single player, then I'll jump in for some multiplay and let you know what I find.

Comment

Originally posted by LongBlade View Post
                    If you look carefully at that press release, they're hyping the multiplayer game. That's the part I haven't looked at yet.

Let me play a bit more single player, then I'll jump in for some multiplay and let you know what I find.
                    Yeah, noticed that, was about to post all the multiplayer quotes with the following icon:

Personally, I have very little interest in the multiplayer, if the game doesn't have a decent story line campaign and a substantial single-player playability, it's not for me...

Comment

The storyline is (OK, the first hour I've played) interesting.

The premise that somehow the Norks could invade the US in the next 30 years is stretching credulity, but if you can get past that it doesn't take but a few seconds to not like the enemy in this game.

As for my initial reticence to endorse the game, I think I have a better feeling.

And I hate to say it, but it has to do with graphics.

First, I am not a graphics worshiper. I play Day of Defeat quite happily, so please don't misunderstand where I'm coming from.

In this case, Homefront's graphics - at least on my machine - are gritty. I am kinda liking it. Target identification is more difficult (though names will periodically pop up to assist in MP).

In the single-player game it appears as though the enemy has heavily armored units. As such, some of the weapons in the game feel as though they're not effective. Early on the player is cautioned to "aim for the head". Aiming for the torso seems to take several shots. 3 - 5 seems average.

Also, the health points feel a bit off. I haven't read the documentation so - again - take this as my impression and *not* a professional review (which I will write in the next week or so after I have played it much more extensively *and* read the documentation so I understand it inside and out).

It appears as though there is almost a Halo-like healing system. When hit, if you can find cover, it seems like you slowly recover. From a gameplay standpoint this is good. It keeps you in the action longer if you try to keep your head down.

However, personally I like to play hard-core FPS games. One shot = one kill. So I'm having to readjust my preferences and look at this game objectively for what it is, rather than what I want it to be.

Give me some time to dig into the single-player campaign before you come to a decision on this. I simply don't have enough time invested to give you a good read on storyline, length, and depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
                        Yeah, noticed that, was about to post all the multiplayer quotes with the following icon:

Personally, I have very little interest in the multiplayer, if the game doesn't have a decent story line campaign and a substantial single-player playability, it's not for me...
                        From what i've heard/read the SP lasts at the most about 5 hours, and that's on the hardest difficulty.
                        A lot of people are reporting a 3hr long campaign. A couple of friends picked it up and one had finished playing it before the other had finished downloading it...
                        Definitely another MP focused game that the market has already been flooded beyond belief with.
                        But what confuses me is, when they were hyping the game up prior to the release day, it seemed they only talked about SP which is why i was slightly interested too...Then release comes around, and the "short and boring SP" comments start coming out, they do a 180 and say MP is where the fun is at.

Considering the price i don't think it's worth it - As you don't have any interest in MP, especially arcadey FPS MP - I wouldn't bother if i were you.
                        If anyone you know picked it up you could probably get through half of the campaign in just a short visit.
                        "My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
                        - Major General Freddie de Guingand, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-force Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944.

Comment

I was kind of disappointed because I always did read they hype on the single player. They Aimed for a game where there is no monumental commando aspect so you never feel all mighty which was fun, but instead of constant attacking and running and re-routing it seemed more like a slow grind fest.

That's kind of a good thing as it adds a bit of realism (however I'd prefer the former)

The disappointment laid in as been said the shortness of the campaign. Me and a friend switched out playing Home front then about half way through i switched to a DS game. By the time i got done the tutorial/1st level He already beat the campaign.

And until i find my Xbox Gold Card the multi player is useless.
                          God didnít create evil. Evil is the result of when man does not have God's love in his heart.It's the cold when there is no heat.The darkness that comes when there is no light

Comment

I'm liking the single-player campaign more. Not sure exactly how man hours I have in it - a couple.

The single-player campaign's big selling point is the depth. This is a no-holds-barred look at how the Norks would behave if given the chance. At one point I ran across some literature describing Juche and the disastrous effects it has had on the North Korean people. If you weren't clear that the Nork regime was filled with bad guys, this game will set you straight.

Comment

Couldn't help myself

WARNING, THE BELOW IMAGE CONTAINS GRAPHIC LANGUAGE.

Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X