Operation Flashpoint: Red River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Flashpoint: Red River

What do you guys think? This is obviously directed at ARMA II:OA, but I enjoyed Dragon Rising. Thoughts?
    ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Dragon Rising was the biggest digital let down I ever had.
    You can review the community's feelings of pre and post publication of the game to see just how big it was.

And as usually happens- this (very small) community is but a reflection of "the world", the game sucked so much it was completely abandoned by the company, all the bugs (god knows there were many of them) were left unattended so what had the potential of being a so-so game was forsaken to die in the gutters.

This game is not only nowhere near ARMA's league, it's not even the same genre, if you want to compare it to something known- you're better of doing so vs. COD or MOH.

If I could say one good thing about OFP: DR is that it had a good background story, something that's "alternative timeline" yet believable, I cannot say the same for "Red River", at least not according to this trailer.

To summarize in one sentence:
    "Operation Flashpoint" should have been a badge of honor (when thinking of 1985, Resistance and Rad Hammer) instead codemasters turned it into a mark of disgrace.

Unless something completely unexpected happens (such as the game getting a good review from the people I trust) I wouldn't even pick it up from a bargain bin "just to see".
    Last edited by Golani; 14 Feb 11, 01:37.

Comment

Damn...I had no Idea you guys had such strong feelings about this. I remember the original Flashpoint; as far as innovation goes, I don't think much changed except the modeling. I do agree ARMA is in another league, as long as I've owned flashpoint, I've owned a copy of ARMA.

What in particular were you're gripes? I'm just curious. Wasn't there a split with the developer or something? Weren't the developers of ARMA the developers of the OF:Cold War Crisis?
      ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Wow, ok. I browsed some the older threads. I see the glaring issues I seem to have overlooked. I guess my judgment is softened by the fact that I picked it up for naught out of the bargain bin.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
          Damn...I had no Idea you guys had such strong feelings about this.
          And this is after a very long "cool off" period
          You should have been here when it was fresh...
          I remember the original Flashpoint;
          ARMA is the direct successor of the original Flashpoint, even though the teams have split and so the name was lost, ARMA is the immediate evolution of OFP.
          as far as innovation goes, I don't think much changed except the modeling.
          The only thing OFP:85 and OFP: DR/RR have in common is the name, which again is only due to the "Divorce Agreement".
          What in particular were you're gripes? I'm just curious. Wasn't there a split with the developer or something? Weren't the developers of ARMA the developers of the OF:Cold War Crisis?
          Here is the official 10 page thread on the game:
          http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=83779

But, if you don't want to read all through it, here's my initial reaction:
          Originally posted by Golani View Post
          Can't wait.

Bought ARMAII, though didn't have much time to play with it I was rather disapointed...

It's REAL! I can't believe I'm saying it but it's TOO real, in the end a video game has to be somewhat linear, I don't have time to go recon an entire Island...

I hope Flashpoint could manage the delicate balance between real and game...
          (BTW my gripes with ARMA were corrected in the follow up patches, expansion packs and DLCs)

And, well...you can hear me today...

It was a double-disappointment-

First was when we were expecting an OFP style game based on the name of the product, but instead we got a tactical-shooter style game, o.k I can live with that I like tactical shooters just swallow that big lump in my throat and get on with it...but then, I realized, the game SUCKS even as a shooter...for a quick-minor look at some of the problems here's a list Nokturnal quoted, it's not complete but yet it gives you the sense of the problems (non were addressed):
          1. Free view in vehicles

2. Player is frozen when selecting weapon.

3. Player is frozen when reloading.

4. Black screen when entering vehicle.

5. Multiplayer spawnpoints can be either too far from the battle, or right in the middle of it.

6. Vehicle steering is too sensitive for keyboard use.

7. Vehicle physics are often unrealistic
          - Vehicle steering, collision detection and damage, speeds.
          - Environmental collision detection issues such as getting stuck on rocks, doorways and vehicles.

8. FP Rifle animations stays centre when running.

9. Toggle for zoom/aim

10. Cannot shoot after reload animation until 1.5 sec later

11. More Recoil and Muzzle Climb,

12. Greater choice of player aid selection on difficulty modes.

13. Join in progress

14. Enemy sometimes seems to be bulletproof around the side of trees.

15. Animation or sound for changing firing modes

16. Separate button for ammo types (separate buttons for rifle and gl)

17. Saving server options between games

18. Close radial menu automatically when a command is issued

19. Fix the scopes and sights on some weapons

20. Allow radial menus to be operated by mouse movements so we can keep moving.

21. Field dressing and healing animations

22. Increase view distance on some smaller overgrowth and rocks

23. Graphical glitches. Lighting through the trees likes to disappear. Occasional flashes of white lines visable in the distance

24. AI situation problems
          - Squad members standing up and/or shooting while you've given the order to go prone/cease fire.
          - Squad coordinate routes where squad members take a much longer route through a difficult terrain areas, making the squad leader in both single player and COOP multiplayer wait for his AI squad mates.
          - Enemy combatants move unrealistically. (They moon walk backwards, they sit there while taking enemy fire without engaging, stand when approached from behind.)

25. Allow mapping of flight controls to joystick.

26. FOV needs to be fixed.

27. Standing weaponless corpses bug

28. Mounted guns are always zoomed in, make it like the small arms: right click to zoom

29. Command radial should have medic option automatically appear so players know what to do.

30. Single slot quick save feature

31. Allow a non bot fill up.

32. Walking

33. If an bsticle is hit when prone. Player should stay prone instead of standing.

34. Full reload animation is incorrect if the previous mag wasn't emptied.

35. Sometimes the mouse wheel doesn't work for weapon selection.

36. Surround sound support. 5.1/7.1.

37. Helis do not keep height ( wuld be fixed by joystick mapping )

38. Blow doors open with grenades.

39. Allow use of profile with key binds for testing missions

Again, these are just the tip of the iceberg...

Comment

I think the best one was a pivture of that Kyeana West feller in front of a picture of COD:MW2 with the words "Out of the way COD, Flashpoind Dragon is the best game letdown ever, THE BEST GAME LETDOWN EVER"

or something similar.
            Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

The main problem with DR was that it had the Operation Flashpoint name. You expected it to be a sequel, or a major advancement in features, to the original. At the beginning the developers promised a true military simulation but ultimately failed to deliver.

The original OFP surpassed DR in every department bar graphics. In the original I have just created a platoon v platoon mission using a realism mod (WGL5) on a user made island in an hour. No fancy scripting or workarounds required. In DR there is an entity limit with the editor, in MP you are tethered to your squad and you can't mod the game in a significant way.

I think DR would have been better received had it not used the OFP name. With that name people expected so much and got so little. Had the game been moddable it probably could have turned out to be very good. It would have also helped had CM been honest about their inability to deliver the expected product. CM could have had themselves a nice little tactical shooter franchise had they made the game on their own merits.

If I see it in the bargain bin I might pick it up. In the summer in HMV it was still £35!

Video of the original with Liberation 1941-1945 mod.

BHD

Last edited by Mackie; 14 Feb 11, 21:59.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X