Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting for new games

Hello there.

I've been a gamer since long before DOOM but during the last years I haven't been able to "keep up" with what's new.
    I was looking to buy one or two new shooters but there's a veritable jungle of them out there so I was hoping to tap your brains for some guidance. =P

I'm playing strictly offline. Any multi-whatever or achievement system is no selling point.
    By shooter standards I'm old and slow and I know it. =P

I prefer games with a strategy touch like a campaign mode where what happens in one mission/map has a clear impact on neighboring sectors. Simply earning 317 generic supply points through a mission doesn't count because it doesn't really allow for a "strategy" beyond blowing **** up.

Squad control games often end up with me playing mother hen or just parking the crew "somewhere safe" because they are too stupid to wipe their behinds, much less move under fire.
    ARMA was kinda okay there. For the most part they stayed in cover and kept their heads down. It was still a bulky control system to operate and no fun in practical use. Myth had a good one but was a realtime tactical game.

Pretty much any time period works but WW2 / later / future are assumed for some diversity in the shooty things.

Story driven games do not have to be bad but alas, they often don't hold much replay value, especially if the level design is strictly linear and your only options are to go forward and shoot anything that moves.

Also, many RPG-style shooters are made annoying by finding ways of letting you start out with throwing rocks or a pistol at best. I can usually mod these and other things so it's not a major issue.

The setting or level of realism is irrelevant. If it's a good game I'd just as readily play the army grunt in BF1942, the near indestructible super soldier in Crysis, or drive some battlemech / power armour thing.

Games I played or (*) still play
    * Battlefield 1942 (running around, blowing **** up =)
    * Crysis (I quit when I get to the aliens. Just too grey and boring to bother.)
    * Magic Carpet 2
    System Shock
    Mechwarrior (yes, the EGA version)
    STALKER
    Battlefront Star Wars 2
    Terminator 2029
    Thief (not much of a shooter - more a creeper =)
    DOOM (insert number)
    Outlaws (the soundtrack alone was worth it)
    ARMA
    Just Cause 1 (nice concept but gawdawful weapons and physics that stank to the heavens)

Games I'm trying to forget
    Mace Griffin
    Rogue Trooper (both basically "on rails" games that make continueing an effort of will)
    Cold Fear (laugh all you want - I really bought that one)

Any pointers? =)
    I missed you. But my aim is improving.

Have you tried any of the Call of Duty series?

Comment

Although you mentioned you weren't big on RPG-shooters I can attest that Fallout 3 is good. Yes, you start out pretty weak, but leveling up comes fast enough and it has a huge map, tons of play time, and is purely single-player.
      RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

I have "heard about" both.

CoD is one of the "new shooters" and they are all marketed almost exclusively as multiplayer games.
        Very little is said about the single player part - and that's the exact problem I have. =P
        The COD thread right next to this one paints a pretty bleak picture, too. Many tightly scripted events and cutscenes that you can't even skip.
        I can handle quite a bit of artistic license. So what if a weapon entered service 10 years earlier or later? But every AK with ACOG instead of like a PSO-1? That's like having a Craftsman 18" Chain Katana instead of a combat knife. (link below)

F3 is a Bethesda game.
        If the trend that started with Daggerfall continues then it can only be a monotonous game with rigid level scaling, meaning that all opponents are automatically beefed up/down to your level to always provide the desired amount of challenge. That makes any RPG leveling system absurd because you are supposed to grow stronger to be able to meet greater challenges.
        The obvious advantage is that it's easier to balance aka cheaper to produce.

ww w.imagebanana.com/img/3g9caw7i/craftsman.jpg
        (link garbled so the forum software would let me post it)
        Last edited by Gazz; 31 Dec 10, 11:29.

Comment

Two other single player FPS come to mind that you can try.

The Painkiller series;

The game is based upon a dark theme where you explore various often huge underworld areas. The game uses an optional Tarot Card system where in order to collect the card, you have to finish the level by achieving a certain goal. The tarot cards, which require accumulated coins to place, can make additional levels, including previously played ones, easier to play and meet goals for obtaining their tarot cards.

There are numerous puzzles that need to be solved in order to open up secret levels or to kill certain baddies. Example, the vampire can't be killed until you destroy the pentagram on the ceiling and lure him into the sunlight on a plank in the middle of a huge firepit. Weapons, even the basic Painkiller, are extremely effect under a skilled player.

Gameplay ranges from exploring very linear levels to fighting boss monsters in huge open arenas.

For shear fun and humor, there is the Serious Sam series. I would recommend obtaining the HD version using the Serious 3 game engine as the eye candy is fabulous.

Sam plays both in confined areas and huge open vistas. The game is both very linear but has areas where you can complete the level by taking different paths. Based upon ancient Egyptian, Babylonian, to fantasy and sci-fi worlds, Sam will face both friends and foes. There are puzzles to solve, traps to solve, hordes of enemies, and chambers that defy gravity, some with jump pads that send Sam and the enemies flying about in all directions. Solving certain puzzles and grabbing powerups at key times will allow Sam to be victorious in areas where he gets hit by hordes of bad guys. You will get hints throughout the game as to what to do, where to go, and how to defeat end of level bosses that can regenerate their health. An example of defeating the first end of level boss is to protect your friends, the Simbas, so they can use their lava ball catapults to kill Kowingo.

Painkiller and Serious Sam both have free demos that you can try out before purchasing the actual games.
          “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Good point. I always meant to get 'Sam because it's just plain whacky.
            Armed and Dangerous is done in a similiar vein. It may be mostly linear but the cutscenes are very well done - and they are a riot.

Can't remember Painkiller but well... that's why I asked. =)

STALKER is probably pretty close to my ideal game but the combat part is pretty simplistic (no vehicles at all) and the weapons are somewhat... meh. Can't put a finger on it but I'm not excited about the weapons.

I grabbed Just Cause 2 because... well, just 'cause, I guess. JC1 may have had the worst physics in gaming history but at least it doesn't take itself seriously so that any reality consideration is automatically invalid. =P
            Well, or rather I'll find out about that whenever I upgrade to Win7 or later.
            Last edited by Gazz; 02 Jan 11, 18:40.

Comment

You might want to consider Gearbox's excellent Borderlands. It doesn't really have the type of grand strategy you're looking for, but it isn't strictly linear, either. You are offered missions, in addition to the main plot, that you can do in any order you see fit. Doing these missions earn you cash that you can spend on the gazillions of guns that are randomly generated by the game (this gun-collecting mechanic alone makes the game so darn entertaining). Gearbox has also released some excellent DLC to keep the game going past the original mission.

You can read some of my initial impressions here.

Vid:

Great game. Still play it.
              Last edited by Rooks Bailey; 04 Jan 11, 14:47.
              Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer.

Comment

I'm not even looking for a grand strategy game. Any strategy at all would be a welcome diversion.
                Magic Carpet 2 was a perfect mix. Lots of shooting but always within the context of a strategy game.

Borderlands sounds interesting but I was under the impression that this was an MMO.
                I "did my time" with those. About 10 years of Everquest, high end raid guild, the works.
                I don't have the time for that any more.

I have tried Painkiller now but geez. It takes linear gameplay to an entirely new level.
                When entering most rooms, the doors irrevocably close behind you so you are not just limited to going forward / back, like in a simplistic shooter.
                No, you are limited to going forward / forward. Whadda choice...

Does it really overtax the average shooter player's decision-making ability if he has to decide between forward and back???
                Oh, what if you just stopped? That would be a thi*brain explodes*

Comment

Borderlands isn't a MMO. It is a single player FPS with an optional co-op component. So no worries there.
                  Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Gazz View Post
                    Games I played or (*) still play
                    * Battlefield 1942 (running around, blowing **** up =)
                    Well there's your problem, it's hard to do much better than that. I've had the same problem finding something comparable since I first played it.

I have heard the name borderlands thrown about much though, maybe it's time to give it a whirl.
                    ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

If I could kick myself in the ass right now I would. I don't know how I neglected to mention the Brothers in Arms series, but I think it fits the bill as far as what you are looking for.

It is a great mix of tactical thought and fast-paced action, and the game is geared mostly to it's campaign. It also has one of the most engrossing and well-written plots that I've even seen in a game.

The tactical system is great, I can't describe how great it really is. It allows for the manipulation of individual fire-teams, and the name of the game is fire and maneuver, which utilizes a suppression system unique to the game. There really is nothing quite like seeing one of your M1919's lay down a red hot whip of lead to keep the krauts heads down, while your assault team maneuvers around their flank for the kill.

I know this all sounds complicated, but the system really is incredibly easy, making this, imo at least, one of the most entertaining shooters I've ever played.

Remember...
                      • Find em'
                      • Fix em'
                      • Flank em'
                      • Finish em'

I found the newest title in the series for $9.99 at best buy, I think that's worth a try.

...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Gazz View Post

I have tried Painkiller now but geez. It takes linear gameplay to an entirely new level.
                        When entering most rooms, the doors irrevocably close behind you so you are not just limited to going forward / back, like in a simplistic shooter.
                        No, you are limited to going forward / forward. Whadda choice...
                        Yes, most of the game is very linear, yet may offer several paths of attacks as in the next to last section of the crypt.

Once you reach the end of level marker, all doors open. You can then go back and explore, with few exceptions, the entire level. That can be important for unlocking some tarot cards where the one you need to destroy all objects and some are well hidden. (It won't work on the Tower of Babel where the lower level becomes inaccessible.)

Boss levels are generally one big play field. You will see why when battling Thor (destroy his hammer first) or the Nerogiant.

Farcry, I believe, allows completely open game play once you leave the caves.
                        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Yes, I know that all doors open when you finish a Painkiller level but that's a questionable freedom when there's no play left in the level any more. =P
                          I killed the Necrogiant and while it is an open area, it is a completely useless open area. The only way to complete the level is to run up to the necrogiant and shoot it. No way to make any use whatsoever of all that open area, no tactics, no nothing.
                          I guess that's the last level I'll play but I'm not complaining. It looked good on paper but now it's uninstalled. *shrug*

Hmm. Farcry! Now that's one I'll definitely have to get. FC2 seems to hold a massive grudge against being modded, only allowing the most basic map editing.
                          Some items absolutely need to be modded, just looking at the feature lists. Carried ammo capacity or condition of weapons you pick up from enemies, for instance. If you can only use enemy weapons "briefly" then they either have to fail in enemy hands after an equally brief use or be of a more random condition when you pick them up.

FC1 seems to be more mod friendly but a bit less open, what with the "indoor" levels being classic linear gameplay. Owell. I'll find out. =)

Brothers apparently has hit the bargain bins already so I'll pick it up just in case.
                          Except that I'll be rooting for the krauts. =P
                          Last edited by Gazz; 05 Jan 11, 09:31.

Comment

One game I picked up over the course of my uhh... research was Singularity.
                            It's 100% linear and scripted but the time component was done very well. Better than in Timeshift.
                            It also makes fun of being a linear game. That's cohones! You can call up an overlay of glowing blue "footsteps" that tell you exactly where you will go in order to continue.
                            The "time weapons" were also a lot of fun to play with. Watching your's and the enemy's bullets fly slowly though a bubble of "slow time", queuing up headshot on 5 opponents caught in such a bubble, then dissolve the bubble and see them all drop simultaneously. Wicked fun. =P
                            It may be a linear game but not a completely boring one.

Not extremely long, though. I played it on the mid diff level... yesterday. All of it.

Comment

Turns out that of the suggested games, Borderlands was the closest hit.
                              It's only... sometimes... a linear shooter where you have to fight your way along the single path through a base of sorts.
                              For most of the game you have a more Diabloesque game - only except the dreadful boss runs where you kill the same boss over and over for loot drops.
                              Even though there is no strategic level, many times you have more than one option for doing things.
                              Getting lots of mileage out of that one. =)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X