Your first FPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your first FPS?

What was the first FPS you ever played? Mine was Quake on the Sega Saturn and Wolfenstein 3D on PC.

Outlaws I believe was one of the first FPS games I played, I liked the soundtrack.

Comment

The original Castle Wolfenstein with the cartoon Nazis.

Comment

Doom I on my old 486.
        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

a strange left field game called Battlefront or something, a most strange game from 1999, before that it was all stratergy.

EDIT: BATTLEZONE! that was the game! god how i loved it!
          Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Originally posted by Dashy View Post
            a strange left field game called Battlefront or something, a most strange game from 1999, before that it was all stratergy.

EDIT: BATTLEZONE! that was the game! god how i loved it!

Battlezone was an excellent game, but it wasn't a FPS. And it wasn't from left field. It was a great remake of the old Atari vector graphics space tank game from the 80's.
            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Goldeneye for the N64. Man, I remember wondering how the graphics could possibly get any better.
              ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

The original Doom and Wolfenstein would my first FPS games. I believe Knights of the Sky was the first game ever, though I can't quite recall...

Comment

First played, Doom/Wolf 3D - Can't remember which, was still young and had no PC of my own at the time.

First owned, Delta Force - Ahh good times..
                  Pity there's been no sign of DF: Angel Falls since the announcement in '08...
                  "My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
                  - Major General Freddie de Guingand, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-force Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944.

Comment

Battlefield 1942 was the first FPS that I bought for PC, no CURRENT series of games (COD, MOH, etc) today beats the battlefield series IMO
                    "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

Veitcong on the PC best first person shooter on the vietnam war!
                      • 'If ignorant both of your enemy and yourself, you are certain to be in peril.' Sun Tzu

Definition of government, "an institution which prevents injustice other than such as it commits itself" by Ibn Khaldun

Comment

Doom or Wolfenstein, both around the same time so I'm not sure which was first.
                        “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Halo: Combat Evolved
                          2013 I'm going into West Point if it kills me. 2017 (or 2012 depending on West Point) I'm joining the Airborne if it kills me and it actually might.

Comment

Arctic Fox on the Amiga 1000. One of the first two games made for that machine. It used full color basic shape vector filled graphics.

This was a tank game with a 3-D view screen of the terrain that you had free roam of the entire area. Of course, you had to watch out for enemy installations, aircraft, crevasses. You could climb the hills to see further out or use mountains and the hills to hide from the enemy. You also had the ability to fire missiles and guide them to a target using the view screen.

Alien Breed 3-D was the first true 3-D game that ran on a small window on a 68020 processor of the CD-32 or an Amiga 1200 or 4000. It had some neat realistic looking enemies sich as Hell Hounds and floating Beholders. There were stairs to climb, water to dive under, and several stories of structures that you could jump off to the lower platforms. As there was no save, you wrote down unlock codes in order to proceed to the next level. There was no cheat mode available. Ammo, health packs, and various weapons were found in various places. One level unlocked a boss monster that was an armored tank that couldn't be killed by your weapons. You had to retreat to an upper balcony and get it to shoot towards you. Since it couldn't elevate its gun to get you, it eventually was killed by the splash damage of its shells hitting the walls below. The game came out about the same time as Doom became available on the PC.

Duke Nukem was popular for the Windows 95 computer. The game came out with several add ons including one where you had to rescue President Clinton from the aliens. The motions were a bit disorientating and could cause motion sickness if set too high. The game was unstable in several spots under Windows 98 and would not run on later versions.

My favorite is Unreal which really set a standard. That game is fully compatable on Windows 7 and will run full screen on 1680 x 1050 displays. You can trick the enemy characters to fight each other, then pick off the survivors. There is a free mod called Return to Na Pali that is as well done as the original game. It patches into an upgraded Unreal Tournament and features user controllable AI friendlies. (Some graphic cards can cause problems unless you run the game in a window or in 16 bit color mode.) Either game does not need the CD to run.
                            “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by No_Nickname View Post
                              Battlefield 1942 was the first FPS that I bought for PC, no CURRENT series of games (COD, MOH, etc) today beats the battlefield series IMO
                              Damn straight, I still have my copies of BF 1942, and BF Vietnam. They are still my favorite shooters of all time.
                              ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X