Most tactically realistic FPS's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most tactically realistic FPS's?

I'm looking for an ultra realistic first person shooter (after all these years I'm still a big fan of SWAT 4). Got any recommendations?

Originally posted by Wilhelm_Scream View Post
    I'm looking for an ultra realistic first person shooter (after all these years I'm still a big fan of SWAT 4). Got any recommendations?
    Rainbow Six: Raven Shield (It's old, but hey... Still one of my favorites)

By hearsay:

Armed Assault

Operation Flashpoint

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Furthermore, I think Carthage must be destroyed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

What I know of FPS is not worth much, but I was really impressed looking at a video of Battlefield 2 the other day.

With comrades that have a clue, it looks surprisingly good.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

ArmA II is probably your best bet. Battlefield 2 with the Project Reality mod is also a good choice.
        Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer.

Comment

SWAT 4 was great fun - Even more so with coop, not having to give orders and babysit your team mates made for a nice team-work orientated game.

These days, if you are looking for realism you can't really get better than Arma2 without sacrificing a bit of fun for more realism. It's got a nice balance of the two.
          A bit of a steep learning curve for those new to the "mil-sim" genre, but once you learn the ins and outs you can have alot of fun with everything is has to offer.
          If you're into multiplayer, working with a good team can make the experience much more enjoyable.

As Wargamer Scott pointed out, there is a BF2 mod which makes it much more realistic, and as a result, i've heard the players/community are a bit more mature and more capable of working as a team (which is required).
          Though if my memory serves, BF2 didn't have much of a SP to offer.
          "My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
          - Major General Freddie de Guingand, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-force Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944.

Comment

America's Army (whichever version they're up to now) is a decent one, and it's free.

I'm going to be checking out BF2BC soon. Granted, it's not hyper-realistic, but it looks pretty good.
            Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

Bad Company 2 is very good as a squad-based MP game. With proper team work you'll have a blast (i did play a bit at a mates place, but haven't tried MP myself yet, reason can be found in the BC2 topic).
              As sickpup says it's not as realistic as the others, but sometimes you want an arcadey FPS with alot of big booms and good times, and BC2 will certainly deliver. As will all the other BF titles.

Just thought of another SP focused tactical FPS: Brothers in Arms (hells highway specifically). Set in WW2, so we've all heard the story before.
              It also requires a bit of squad command, but it's not much more than simply moving squads and issuing attack/supress-commands.

Also there are the various Rainbow Six titles as already mentioned, and Ghost Recon too.
              "My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
              - Major General Freddie de Guingand, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-force Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944.

Comment

Brothers in Arms squad command is fantastic!
                If someone could combine it with ARMA he'll deserve the Nobel prize.

For the question- it depends on what your'e looking for, ARMA 2 is by far the "most ultra realistic" game out there, but as said it has somewhat of a steep learning curve and I believe most players will find that it takes realism over playability.

If you have the time to invest in getting used to the game, you won't regret it- if you want fun now but don't like it when computer companies treat you like an imbecile (if you're into WWII that's a plus) I heartily suggest the "Brothers in Arms" series (personally I liked Hells Highway-which is the newest one the least, but even then the game stands on a completely different level)

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                  What I know of FPS is not worth much, but I was really impressed looking at a video of Battlefield 2 the other day.

With comrades that have a clue, it looks surprisingly good.
                  BF2 is not really considered a tactical FPS but I guess you can play it that way although you will be fighting the game to do it.

If you download the Project Reality mod then it becomes a tactical FPS.

Comment

I would say Red Orchestra is your best bet. It's far more realistic than anything else I've ever seen.
                    "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
                      I would say Red Orchestra is your best bet. It's far more realistic than anything else I've ever seen.
                      You're kidding right? I haven't played RO in a very long time, but I don't remember it being a tactical style of game.

Comment

ArmA 2.

Comment

Operation Flashpoint is realistic enough to get you and your squad killed before you realize where the fire is coming from.
                          If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Project reality for the way you play.
                            For weapons, vehicles, kits and models terrain forgotten hope.
                            Both bf2 mods.

Comment

Try ArmA or ArmA II ... the best tactical games I have ever played.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X