Borderlands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borderlands

Anybody play Borderlands? The game always looked interesting to me with its mix of FPS and RPG elements, plus those millions and millions of randomly generated guns. I checked out the official forums the other day and it seems the community is as excited with the game as they were when it was released...which is always a good thing. I was further intrigued by how some players have banded together to create businesses for collecting exotic weaponry and reselling them for a profit, which is something you usually find in a MMO.

I was holding out for a demo, but I don't think we'll see one for a long while as Gearbox seems to be focused on pumping out DLC.

Any opinions?
    Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer.

Okay, I decided to jump in blind with this game and give it a shot. At worst, I would blow $50.

Fortunately, I didn't waste that money. In fact, Gearbox can have as much of my money as it wants!

Borderlands is proving to be far more fun than I ever anticipated. I was worried it would quickly become a repetitive shooter - and it can be that - but the game demonstrates so much polish, that you can't stop playing it. It is both fun and funny (Claptrap is as funny in the game as he is in those videos he made). While there is no real plot to speak of, there are a series of fun quests loosely linked by an all-consuming search for an alien treasure trove (think 'Curley's Gold'). Speaking of which, the sci-fi/western fusion works quiet well and really serves to make the game interesting.

The randomly generated guns - the collection of which proves to be remarkably addictive! - are a lot of fun to use. Here are some of my favorites:

This is my recently acquired Maliwan KKA400 Incendiary Thumper, a cool assault rifle that packs a punch...while setting its targets on fire!

My other favorite is my new Atlas GGN9 'Puny' sniper rifle:

I don't find it 'puny' at all.

I haven't tried the much-touted multiplayer yet...which says a lot about how addictive the single player is.

If you are on the fence like I was, I recommend that if you like shooters, definitely give it a try. It is a lot of fun. Here's a vid about the game for more info:

Last edited by Rooks Bailey; 13 Jan 10, 20:29.

Comment

Looks Like a Good Game May Have To look at it someday. Seems like a Fallout Esque Game which i had LOADS of fun with!
      God didnít create evil. Evil is the result of when man does not have God's love in his heart.It's the cold when there is no heat.The darkness that comes when there is no light

Comment

Originally posted by Jay217 View Post
        Looks Like a Good Game May Have To look at it someday. Seems like a Fallout Esque Game which i had LOADS of fun with!
        I definitely recommend it. I was checking my Steam stats and was shocked to discover that I invested about 24 hours over a seven day period. Normally if I invest 24 hours over the course of a game's entire lifespan on my HD it would be a lot!

Don't misunderstand, this isn't the world's best game ever (Chess already occupies that throne ), but it sure is fun. If you like fast action shooters, definitely give it a try.

In keeping with my gunslinger fetish (I find Borderlands to be more of a Western than an apocalyptic game), I always keep a six shooter handy. My new favorite is the Tediore RV Brutal Revolver:

I recently did this with it:

Not the hand, though. That was blown off with a grenade.

Funny part is, I think I got it not from loot, but from a vending machine! If only we lived in such a sensible time.

The only aspect of Bl that is ridiculous is the PC multiplayer. Without going through a bunch of port forwarding steps, it simply doesn't work. Gearbox supposedly is working on a patch, but considering we are about three months out from launch and there is still no patch, I find the situation to be inexcusable for a game that is touted as multiplayer first and foremost. Sure, people who are comfortable tinkering with their ports can easily get around the problem, but what about the people who aren't? No, I find this situation inexcusable (fortunately, the single player is just fine for me even though I know how to get around the problem). Just FYI.
        Last edited by Rooks Bailey; 25 Jan 10, 21:07.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X