• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R0CKY
    replied
    Originally posted by Mackie View Post
    I was finally able to play Ghost Recon today,
    Congratulations, it's still the best there is tactical infantry warfare game money can buy. I run the ghostrecon.net site, and even with ArmA2 and OFDR taking GR fans away, I guarantee you they came back Ghost Recon offers so much that these newer games just can't match, the sad trend is that developers are removing so many features that are making new games less attractive than Ghost Recon even if the visuals are obviously superior in the newer games. OFDR was a disaster, and ARMA2 was just too complex and buggy for most.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that there are Ghost Recon mission walkthroughs available here should you need help in any future stock campaign missions.

And also to let you know that mission scripting has advanced waaaay beyond from the stock missions have to offer and there are full unofficial expansion packs available that have truly amazing content that I cannot recommend enough. The full list of Ghost Recon mods is available here. That's over 30Gb of mods though, if I can be any help just ask, or our forums have plenty of helpful GR nuts ready to help too.

Long live GR!

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Originally posted by Golani View Post
    CMSF is Combat Mission Shock Force.
    I trust you know the Combat Mission series, well, this is a modern version (both by year of release and the fact that it's modern combat), portraying an American invasion to Syria (Basic game is U.S Army and 2 expansions are Marines and British forces).
    http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...d=31&Itemid=80

Rumors has it that battlefront are working on a new release based on this "modern" combat mission, that's going to be Combat Mission: Normandy.

Yes, that was me, I was so excited and blinded by all the promises and the sheer fact that it had "Operation Flashpoint" in it's title that I pre-ordered it...
    I was speaking from experiance...
    OK, thanks for that. Yes, I've heard of the Combat Mission series but never played it.

Leave a comment:

• Golani
    replied
    CMSF is Combat Mission Shock Force.
    I trust you know the Combat Mission series, well, this is a modern version (both by year of release and the fact that it's modern combat), portraying an American invasion to Syria (Basic game is U.S Army and 2 expansions are Marines and British forces).
    http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...d=31&Itemid=80

Rumors has it that battlefront are working on a new release based on this "modern" combat mission, that's going to be Combat Mission: Normandy.

Yes, that was me, I was so excited and blinded by all the promises and the sheer fact that it had "Operation Flashpoint" in it's title that I pre-ordered it...
    I was speaking from experiance...

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    I think I'll pass for now...

I have alot of games lined up (CMSF, "Operation Flashpoint" dragon rising and ARMA II) that I didn't pay enough attention to.

I never liked any of the Clancy games and given I have no nostalgia sense to Ghost Recon I'll pass
    Fair enough, each to his own.
    (As you already know, I like some of the Clancy games but they can shove R6 Las Vegas where the sun doesn't shine! Enough is enough! )

I have ARMA II also, but haven't really got into it properly yet.

What's CMSF?

As for OFDR, wasn't it you who advised me not to buy it? I haven't yet, but I've been thinking of doing so when the price drops enough.

Leave a comment:

• Golani
    replied
    I think I'll pass for now...

I have alot of games lined up (CMSF, "Operation Flashpoint" dragon rising and ARMA II) that I didn't pay enough attention to.

I never liked any of the Clancy games and given I have no nostalgia sense to Ghost Recon I'll pass

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Which version are we talking about, the original?

How are the newer versions? Advanced warfighter or whatever it is...
    The newer versions (PC, that is) are Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2. After playing the demos, my initial impressions of both were: Yes, better graphics but neither seemed quite up to the feeling and immersion of the original, and in particular the campaign scenarios did not appeal to me as much. I do not play online.

Nevertheless, I resolved that when they were available at a low enough price I would still buy them. I got Advanced Warfighter 2 in a January sale for A$29.95 last week and have had a quick go at it. It seems enjoyable enough and I can't complain about the price. One of my local stores has ordered the first Advanced Warfighter for me and it is in the 'That's Hot' budget selection, being priced at A$18.95. The newer versions of GR may not live up to my nostalgia but I'm pretty sure I'll get my money's worth of gaming enjoyment anyway.
    Last edited by panther3485; 08 Jan 10, 08:08.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
    I agree,it is a good game.My only complaint is the incredible accuracy of the enemy.I think I'll try and dig out the discs and give it another go.
    I too think Ghost Recon is pretty good, especially considering its age. It remains a firm favourite of mine and I go back to it from time to time; partly because I like its qualities; but partly for nostalgia I guess, because since then I have not found many shooters that satisfy me as much as the original GR did. The basic game was released in 2001, with the first expansion, Desert siege, following in early 2002 and the second, Island Thunder, later that same year. It's a nine-year-old game, and nine years is a long time in PC gaming terms.

I too was somewhat disconcerted - especially at first - by the accuracy and deadliness of enemy fire. However, the AI - while being fair enough for a game of its era - was not especially good from a tactical perspective IMO. One idea I've considered is that the game designers, striving for a good challenge, may have used enhanced enemy accuracy to compensate for the AI's relative tactical ineptitude. But maybe not, I'm only speculating here because it's something I could imagine myself designing into the game.

All up on balance, though, I will always have fond memories of Ghost Recon. I enjoyed it and became immersed in it like few others since, and IMO that is the mark of a good game.

Leave a comment:

• Mackie
    replied
    Thanks for the advice globetrotter and Paul Mann III. I'll give it a try.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    I played alot of Ghost Recon when it was new.

Don't be afraid to try a two-man team, or go it even go solo on one fire team, especially with a sniper or a silenced weapon. It reduced the enemies ability to detect you, and eliminates the struggle with your own team's lack of reaction time and inability to take proper cover at times.

I've done most of the mission with a two-man team, one on each fire team. They never see it coming.

And it's good practice for commanding the full team, you get used to how they grab cover under fire or by order, and get a sense of how many enemies they can engage without being overwhelmed at what ranges to are best for your attacks.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    I've just started the old Ghost Recon and really enjoy it. The sniper gets a bit of work. I try not to let my guys fire but sneak them into position to cover eachother and then hit single man positions with the sniper. This paid off with the first dug in position as a couple reinforcements come. For the base I put sneak everyone into position then wake up the base with my sniper. The sniper backs off before he gets tagged (I remember reading that a sniper should never fire twice from the same hide). A couple of rifle grenades from a group and then back them off. I haven't managed to capture the head guy in the caves. He always gets dead. But I tend to prefer putting grenades into caves rather than play tunnel rat.

Leave a comment:

• Mackie
    replied
    Yeah, the original. Ignore the newer versions. They are to Ghost Recon like Dragon Rising is to OFP. Traitors to the name.

Leave a comment:

• Golani
    replied
    Which version are we talking about, the original?

How are the newer versions? Advanced warfighter or whatever it is...

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    All in all it is a good tactical game, one of the few remaining ones. It didn't give the same impression like OFP did but they are not the same game so I am probably not being fair in comparing them. Ghost Recon shows you a good time but the problems I mentioned take away a bit of the fun.

I agree,it is a good game.My only complaint is the incredible accuracy of the enemy.I think I'll try and dig out the discs and give it another go.

Leave a comment:

• Mackie
    replied
    Like I said in another thread,

I never stood Rainbow Six or any other Tom Clancy game...

But I trust your judgment George,
    Can you post a quick summary of the game?
    Would you recommend it?
    I got it on recommendation from another OFP player so I thought there must be something in it.

I do like it, it is a good tactical game but there is not the large open area of OFP and you only have a handful of guys with with you.

The game is frustrating at first but once you learn to cope with the AI and their AK snipers and how to command your team effectively it is rewarding when your plan works, especially if you take no casualties.

It is important to try and make it out of a mission with most of your guys as they gain experience and can get awarded medals. A bit like the OFP Resistance campaign where your band of guerillas would become more skilled after each mission.

However, the AI is frustrating at times. Your AI buddies are not very aggressive and the use of grenades and grenade launchers is rare. They will also not use AT weapons against tanks. As this game is infantry based it is not too big an issue.

There is also an active modding scene like with OFP. All the way from unofficial expansion packs like Frostbite (takes the story to Norway) to total conversions (ie WW2) to simple unit addons (ACU) to AI enhancements and lots more. There is a big IDF mod but I have not had time to try it out yet.

The game comes with a mission editor so there is a lot of single missions and campaigns out there. Once I finish the campaign I will have a look at it but it is probably not as easy to use as the OFP one.

All in all it is a good tactical game, one of the few remaining ones. It didn't give the same impression like OFP did but they are not the same game so I am probably not being fair in comparing them. Ghost Recon shows you a good time but the problems I mentioned take away a bit of the fun.

If you want to see for yourself you can try the demo.

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/tom...d_2822778.html

This is the site where you can get the mods and stuff.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/index-gr1.html

Leave a comment:

• globetrotter
    replied
    Now I am on the third one where I have to stop the leading elements of a Russian armoured division. It's a tough one.
    Here's what I do:

Three teams: A: LMG & Rifleman B: LMG & Rifleman. (optional sniper)C: Antitank Missle & Rifleman

A: Double time to the L flank and cover the approaches - the bad guys will try to infiltrate thru the trees to the R or the railyard to the L.

B: Double time to a small rock formation (sort of boomerang-shaped) that has a view of the railway. Bad guys will come over the hill straight ahead or will creep up on your L from behind the rocks. The sniper can pick the guys coming over the hill fairly easily, but watch the rocks to your left. I control this team intermittently to get the guys coming over the hill at long range.

C: team boots straight up the road and hides behind the bushes just past the bridge and waits for the tanks. When the first one appears, blast it, move slightly to your left (quickly) and take out the other. Then run like blazes back to the bridge, lie down behind a pillar of the bridge, lock, load and blast away at the horde of bad guys that will come at you. Watch for the many bad guys who will try to sneak up to/past the blazing BMP to try and pick you off.

That's how I do it, anyway.
    Last edited by globetrotter; 30 Dec 09, 04:53.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X