Ghost Recon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
    I agree,it is a good game.My only complaint is the incredible accuracy of the enemy.I think I'll try and dig out the discs and give it another go.
    I too think Ghost Recon is pretty good, especially considering its age. It remains a firm favourite of mine and I go back to it from time to time; partly because I like its qualities; but partly for nostalgia I guess, because since then I have not found many shooters that satisfy me as much as the original GR did. The basic game was released in 2001, with the first expansion, Desert siege, following in early 2002 and the second, Island Thunder, later that same year. It's a nine-year-old game, and nine years is a long time in PC gaming terms.

I too was somewhat disconcerted - especially at first - by the accuracy and deadliness of enemy fire. However, the AI - while being fair enough for a game of its era - was not especially good from a tactical perspective IMO. One idea I've considered is that the game designers, striving for a good challenge, may have used enhanced enemy accuracy to compensate for the AI's relative tactical ineptitude. But maybe not, I'm only speculating here because it's something I could imagine myself designing into the game.

All up on balance, though, I will always have fond memories of Ghost Recon. I enjoyed it and became immersed in it like few others since, and IMO that is the mark of a good game.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
      Which version are we talking about, the original?

How are the newer versions? Advanced warfighter or whatever it is...
      The newer versions (PC, that is) are Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2. After playing the demos, my initial impressions of both were: Yes, better graphics but neither seemed quite up to the feeling and immersion of the original, and in particular the campaign scenarios did not appeal to me as much. I do not play online.

Nevertheless, I resolved that when they were available at a low enough price I would still buy them. I got Advanced Warfighter 2 in a January sale for A$29.95 last week and have had a quick go at it. It seems enjoyable enough and I can't complain about the price. One of my local stores has ordered the first Advanced Warfighter for me and it is in the 'That's Hot' budget selection, being priced at A$18.95. The newer versions of GR may not live up to my nostalgia but I'm pretty sure I'll get my money's worth of gaming enjoyment anyway.
      Last edited by panther3485; 08 Jan 10, 07:08.
      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

I think I'll pass for now...

I have alot of games lined up (CMSF, "Operation Flashpoint" dragon rising and ARMA II) that I didn't pay enough attention to.

I never liked any of the Clancy games and given I have no nostalgia sense to Ghost Recon I'll pass

Comment

I think I'll pass for now...

I have alot of games lined up (CMSF, "Operation Flashpoint" dragon rising and ARMA II) that I didn't pay enough attention to.

I never liked any of the Clancy games and given I have no nostalgia sense to Ghost Recon I'll pass
          Fair enough, each to his own.
          (As you already know, I like some of the Clancy games but they can shove R6 Las Vegas where the sun doesn't shine! Enough is enough! )

I have ARMA II also, but haven't really got into it properly yet.

What's CMSF?

As for OFDR, wasn't it you who advised me not to buy it? I haven't yet, but I've been thinking of doing so when the price drops enough.

Comment

CMSF is Combat Mission Shock Force.
            I trust you know the Combat Mission series, well, this is a modern version (both by year of release and the fact that it's modern combat), portraying an American invasion to Syria (Basic game is U.S Army and 2 expansions are Marines and British forces).
            http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...d=31&Itemid=80

Rumors has it that battlefront are working on a new release based on this "modern" combat mission, that's going to be Combat Mission: Normandy.

Yes, that was me, I was so excited and blinded by all the promises and the sheer fact that it had "Operation Flashpoint" in it's title that I pre-ordered it...
            I was speaking from experiance...

Comment

CMSF is Combat Mission Shock Force.
              I trust you know the Combat Mission series, well, this is a modern version (both by year of release and the fact that it's modern combat), portraying an American invasion to Syria (Basic game is U.S Army and 2 expansions are Marines and British forces).
              http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...d=31&Itemid=80

Rumors has it that battlefront are working on a new release based on this "modern" combat mission, that's going to be Combat Mission: Normandy.

Yes, that was me, I was so excited and blinded by all the promises and the sheer fact that it had "Operation Flashpoint" in it's title that I pre-ordered it...
              I was speaking from experiance...
              OK, thanks for that. Yes, I've heard of the Combat Mission series but never played it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie View Post
                I was finally able to play Ghost Recon today,
                Congratulations, it's still the best there is tactical infantry warfare game money can buy. I run the ghostrecon.net site, and even with ArmA2 and OFDR taking GR fans away, I guarantee you they came back Ghost Recon offers so much that these newer games just can't match, the sad trend is that developers are removing so many features that are making new games less attractive than Ghost Recon even if the visuals are obviously superior in the newer games. OFDR was a disaster, and ARMA2 was just too complex and buggy for most.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that there are Ghost Recon mission walkthroughs available here should you need help in any future stock campaign missions.

And also to let you know that mission scripting has advanced waaaay beyond from the stock missions have to offer and there are full unofficial expansion packs available that have truly amazing content that I cannot recommend enough. The full list of Ghost Recon mods is available here. That's over 30Gb of mods though, if I can be any help just ask, or our forums have plenty of helpful GR nuts ready to help too.

Long live GR!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X