Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

This is a pretty cool video:

I wasn't too sure about this game at first, but it does look pretty darn good. Might not be as hardcore as ArmA II, but I think it will be a fine shooter regardless. Best of all, some early previews/reviews seems to indicate that it runs and looks great even on minimum specs.
    Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer.

What an awesome mini-documentary on how an FPS is developed. The more "real" the better the feel . I look forward to hearing more once it's been released and we get a player's prospective on the forum.
    There's No Such Thing As "Only A Simulation"

Comment

Stay tuned...I hope to download if from Steam this Tuesday. I am particularly interested in how CM approaches the fun vs realism factor vis-a-vis BI's ArmA II.

BTW: For a really detailed look at the making of the game, check out this vid:

Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer.

Comment

Can't wait.

Bought ARMAII, though didn't have much time to play with it I was rather disapointed...

It's REAL! I can't believe I'm saying it but it's TOO real, in the end a video game has to be somewhat linear, I don't have time to go recon an entire Island...

I hope Flashpoint could manage the delicate balance between real and game...

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
          Can't wait.

Bought ARMAII, though didn't have much time to play with it I was rather disapointed...

It's REAL! I can't believe I'm saying it but it's TOO real, in the end a video game has to be somewhat linear, I don't have time to go recon an entire Island...

I hope Flashpoint could manage the delicate balance between real and game...
          Short of actually dying in physical reality, I've yet to see anything in the PC gaming/simulation line that's "too real". This seems to be a product I would greatly enjoy, but I haven't see Arma II for sale anywhere locally. Is online purchase and download the only way I can get it? I prefer to buy a DVD version if possible. (Dragon Rising I know I'll be able to buy, because my local vendor is already taking pre-orders.)
          "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
          Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

I bought it from a local store, if we have it here, you must have it there

Don't get me wrong, PC games I play MUST be realistic or I'll dump them, but ARMAII's campaign, at least from what I got to see is...somewhat of a burden.

I hope I got the wrong idea, but the first serious mission I got in the campaign had me scouting places miles apart with no real intrest...too much info to try and remember (some of it is in a made-up language which makes it harder...) long periods of not doing much-turning you restless, followed by quick-explosive engagement-which gets you killed quite easily.

I don't know, again, I might have the wrong idea, but it's hard to explain.
            No one appreciates a realistic game more then me, but that's too much.

I'll try it again and see if I'm wrong (hopefully...)

Comment

Believe me, I have looked recently after reading about it here, but I've not been able to find it. I'll search some more. Maybe my local stores were just out of stock, and I'll have to ask for it to be ordered in.

The bit you said, about " ... long periods of not doing much-turning you restless, followed by quick-explosive engagement-which gets you killed quite easily" seems very realistic to me, and only makes me want the game even more.

I know it's 'old hat' now, but one of the reasons I used to like the original Ghost Recon series back in the early 2000's was that, relatively speaking compared to what was around at the time, it was reasonably realistic in some ways at least. No picking up 'health packs' for a start (a-la Medal of Honor). And no ducking down behind cover to recover from a 'critical' wound in about 30 seconds and carrying on shortly afterwards like nothing had happened to you (a-la Call of Duty). If you made a mistake, it often resulted in your death, or at least a serious wounding from which you did not recover. And no such thing as 're-spawning'. Your whole team could be wiped out in short order if you screwed up enough.

To me, these things are required as a minimum level of realism if a game is going to engage my interest enough to spend my hard earned $, although CoD4 Modern Warfare was given to me as a gift last year, and I must admit, I did enjoy it quite a lot.
              Last edited by panther3485; 04 Oct 09, 05:19.
              Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

No argues here, everything you said IS true, BUT about those "dead times", you won't find agreement here

That hard earned money cost you alot of time, time that is more valuable then to spend it driving cross country in a fictional Island, having long heart to heart conversations with fake people in a made up language during an invented war...

Ever played Far Cry 2?
                Well, ARMAII's campaign feels like it to me...

Comment

"No argues here, everything you said IS true, BUT about those "dead times", you won't find agreement here"
                  If we have an assumption that we'd agree on everything, we are likely to be disappointed anyway. A certain amount of disagreement is healthy. I'm probably in the minority about liking the long waits, but I do find them generally realistic. This is not to say I'd like them in the specific example you've quoted, if they come across as unrealistic to me.

To give you an example of where I really sit on this, take my experience with combat flight simulators. In IL-2 Forgotten Battles, I might commonly have anything from 10 minutes to an hour, or more, to fly to an area where I actually begin to engage the enemy. The game allows you to speed up time to get through these 'boring' bits, and get to the action sooner. In fact, if you want, you can cut out the take-offs and landings too, and go more or less straight into the air-to-air combat.

But not me. I want the whole experience, warts and all, including the boring and repetitive bits. In real time, without speeding anything up. (Provided, of course, that they seem realistic to me.) I will wait on the runway for clearance (unless it's a scramble). I will take off and circle if necessary waiting for my comrades to join formation. I will then set a heading and vector to the intercept (fighter mission) or target (bomber mission). I will fly for the whole of the real time to get there. Then I will engage in combat. I will do so with the most realistic possible damage settings, fuel settings, ammo settings and flight settings. Then, assuming I don't get shot down, I'll fly back to base, circle my field waiting for clearance, and then land. I'll enjoy that greatly, even if the whole thing takes two or three hours, which it can in some cases. I'll even feel tired afterwards.
                  (I'll rarely get through an entire campaign without being killed.)

"That hard earned money cost you alot of time, time that is more valuable then to spend it driving cross country in a fictional country, having long heart to heart conversations with fake people in a made up language... "
                  Obviously, I haven't seen the specific example you speak of. Suffice to say, if it does not strike me as realistic and reasonably plausible then I won't want to do it and that would in itself make the game much less attractive to me, because it would be robbing me of the 'whole experience' that I really want.

"Ever played Far Cry 2?
                  Well, ARMAII's campaign feels like it to me..."
                  I was going to buy the original Far Cry when it was first released a few years back, but then I read a review and heard others talking about it and IIRC it was supposed to have had some fantasy type bollocks in it. That put me off it totally. I've proceeded on the assumption that Far Cry 2 is of similar ilk and therefore not worthy of my hard earned $.
                  Last edited by panther3485; 04 Oct 09, 05:52.

Comment

After reading that, I can guarantee you'll love ARMAII

Didn't play much of Far Cry 2, after it got repetitive, no fantasy there from what I witnessed.

Comment

After reading that, I can guarantee you'll love ARMAII

Didn't play much of Far Cry 2, after it got repetitive, no fantasy there from what I witnessed.
                      I searched a little further afield today, and found Arma II. It was in a branch of EB Games I don't often go to. They also advised me that CoD Modern Warfare 2 would be out very soon, and Dragon Rising not long after that. I was also searching for a helicopter combat flight simulation called DCS Black Shark. No luck with that last one, though. Far Cry 2 was selling at a discount; about A$40 IIRC.

For me, out of the shooters I think it would come down to a choice between Arma II or save the money for Dragon Rising. Arma II is very tempting, being available right now.

Comment

I think Dragon raising is suppose to be out tomorrow (October 6th), Modern Warfare will be out in November.

From what I gather-you'd like ARMAII alot more...

Comment

I think Dragon raising is suppose to be out tomorrow (October 6th), Modern Warfare will be out in November.

From what I gather-you'd like ARMAII alot more...
                          The sales guy (probably about 20 yrs old) was talking fast and slick, so I could have got it the wrong way around. Either way, if I buy one now at new release prices, I won't get the other until about November anyway. Being a cagey old fart, I've gotten out of the habit of jumping on something as soon as it's released (or as soon as I can find it and the asking price) but occasionally the temptation is too strong.

Comment

panther3485 - I am in basically the same boat as you (aside from the cagey old fart bit ).
                            I've been trying to decide whether or not to pick up ArmA 2 so i can join in on this "epic experience" i keep hearing about, but i'm more of a single-player campaign type player. I'll often only get into the multiplayer after i feel i've developed my skills enough to avoid being killed by a kid hyped up on red bull.

I asked a couple of friends (who have been playing since release) whether i should grab Arma 2 or just wait for Op Flashpoint and they summed it up very nicely:
                            "Arma 2 is just a more multiplayer focused version of what Operation Flashpoint will be.
                            All the bugs ruin the single-player."

Which, of course is probably wayyy over-simplifying it, but it does make sense. All the reviewers mention the god awful campaign bugs, and the AI without the I.
                            Though they (like the fans) always rave about the intense battles they get into while playing multiplayer with their friends, and from reading a few AARs they do infact sound "epic" - It's one of the few games which actually sounds exciting to me even through text!

Golani - This may also be the reason why you didn't find it as enjoyable as it could of been. Perhaps if you know others that own the game try setting up a co-op or group effort and tackle the AI.
                            I also get the impression you are meant to have people covering many aspects of battle (tanks, helicopters, squads on foot) and areas of the map so the battle is fairly constant.
                            Sounds great fun, though probably hard to organise.

I decided i'll just continue to wait for Op Flashpoint. It's meant to be out in Australia today.
                            EDIT - It seems the release date has been pushed back a bit, i'm now seeing sites announcing the release some time between 10-20th of October.
                            Still slightly concerned that it's coming to consoles as well, many games suffer from being too dumbed down but hopefully that's not the case this time.

If, somehow, it's not as realistic as they claimed it was going to be - I'll have to buy ArmA 2...Not sure if we'll see another realistic FPS until the next two from these series.
                            Though it still might be smarter to wait for "ArmA 2: Gold", when they should of patched the game sufficiently to be played properly, single-player too.
                            Last edited by Nokturnal; 05 Oct 09, 20:09.
                            "My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
                            - Major General Freddie de Guingand, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-force Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944.

Comment

For all the intel on the arma series check out-
                              http://www.armaholic.com/

I spent many an hour with arma/queens gambit.....alas I didn't quite enjoy it to its fullest until I replaced just 'bout every stock file in game with a mod! (there's plenty of awesome mods by the community btw) Like some others have stated, I wanted to wait n see how arma II shakes out b-4 I spend mo cash...OFPDR looks n sounds like a must have title tho! Codemasters seem to have spent time on some details that was a bit of a thorn in the side for BI...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X