No announcement yet.

Fallout New Vegas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've played it a little over the weekend but most of my time has been spent on finding some decent mods- First priority to get rid of the 'Brown' -- then some UI mods- and then some body enhancing mods. Added a few texture mods as well to get rid of the Xbox low memory textures -

Being Obsidian I decided to give the game a go- although I really disliked Fallout3. VATS nor realtime was any good- the acting horrible- the setting made no logical sense- Bethseda Just doesn't care about 'LORE' in their games.

There was a time Lore was very important- especially to reviewers. How a game stacked up to it made up a lot of the score- Isn't that why Knights of the Old Republic got high marks? It did star Wars great. The temple of Elemental Evil is still regarded as the best AD&D computer translation- and at one time there was a site fully dedicated to the Lore of the Elder scrolls. When morrowind hit half the mods dealt with getting the lore back on track- and when Oblivion hit the site closed in frustration as about the only LORE left in the game was found in the books- directly copy/pasted from Morrowind.

Nowadays Lore isn't even given a cursory glance in reviews- though I would submit The fallout universe has a ruleset and Lore just as strict as AD&D and about as deep- so it's no surprise Fallout 3 was an utter failure with Bethseda behind it- but i expect more from Obsidian.

First off however the same restrictions of Gambryo apply as it's the same engine- it also seems to be the same asset set as well- little graphically has changed.

What has changed is a bit better. VATS is no longer a built in cheat code granted you rediculous AIM bonus's, AP points and the fact you only take 10 percent damage while in it--instead Obsidian nerfed it quit a bit. (I suspect inner minds wanted to dump it altogether but the contract forbid it) You now no longer get the aim bonus and APs have been cut about 50 percent- what this results in is a play towards more tactics. No more long range turkey shoots. in fact Stealth is a lot more important here as VATS is pretty ineffective at longer ranges-

The real time combat is still poor- but you do get gun sights now. little has changed in enemy behavior--which means there really isn't any except to make a beeline straight for you or to stand in the open with a bullseye on their forhead- and the same can be said for companions- though with a script extender and a companion mod these options open up quite a bit in controlling your companion's behavior.

I still see enemys get stuck- but overall the last patch squashed the worst of the bugs- it's the engine's limitations and the not so great HAVOC that are the underlying trouble-and be warned now Oblivion 5 is using the same technology.

The acting is a lot better. it's not a Mass effect or Dragon Age level but it certainly is better than Fallout 3- and thankfully someone else is writing the dialogue- or perhaps they were 13 when they did Fallout 3 and now they are grown up with hair growing in funny places. Seriously don't you remember how Horrendous it was?

If I was strong, I would be able to say "Don't worry, kid. I'm a big, tough guy"

So let's just say dialouge here is a hell of a lot better, but the same mechanics of short sentences is still in place.

i really haven't gotten very far so very hard to comment on the LORE- except to say thus far I don't feel like I'm in a amusment park like I immediately felt like in Fallout 3. The biggest problem is not so much that it isnít Fallout, but rather that the setting doesnít make any sense whatsoever. Again LORE matters- and thus far I haven't seen any Aliens, Chinese or UFOs- though a lot of the 'COOL' is still there...bullet time, bad radio (there's a better station in a mod on the NEXUS)but at least you not starting off in a Vault- but instead are on a kind of 'what happened ' quest for the bad guys that nearly killed you.

I can live with the negatives above if the Lore and story holds water- I did it in the Witcher- a great world with poor combat- and I can do it here if things stay in line-- we're see.
    Last edited by Ghostryder; 28 Nov 10, 21:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostryder View Post
      Being Obsidian I decided to give the game a go- although I really disliked Fallout3. VATS nor realtime was any good- the acting horrible- the setting made no logical sense- Bethseda Just doesn't care about 'LORE' in their games.
      Howzat?

Comment

I loved this game. I put about 130+ hours into it and got all four endings, and still there was content that I had not gotten to.

Comment

It's made by Obsidian which is run by guys and gals who made oryginal Fallout 1 and 2, not Bet. It's short lines are logic and predictable consequence of fully voiced dialogues; just install some UI mod it will look much better. Now I quit playing it untill some good patch and dlcs are out.
          The setting did made sense as it is explained in the ingame lore. My score is 9/10 for bet's engine and bugs.
          Kosovo is Serbian.
          I support United Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
          Behead those who say Islam is violent!

Comment

Originally posted by DracoBorealis View Post
            It's made by Obsidian which is run by guys and gals who made oryginal Fallout 1 and 2, not Bet. It's short lines are logic and predictable consequence of fully voiced dialogues; just install some UI mod it will look much better. Now I quit playing it untill some good patch and dlcs are out.
            They just released a large patch a day or two ago, it might be what you seek.

The setting did made sense as it is explained in the ingame lore.
            I'm just still trying to understand how the east coast wasn't in the "lore" (cannon) as Ghostryder said above.

My score is 9/10 for bet's engine and bugs.
            Obsidian is just as buggy as Beth. Not that I'm trying to defend Beth, mind you, but New Vegas was (at launch) as buggy as FO3. Its not all the engines fault when they've been working on it for years, either.

Comment

I purchased the game 2 nights ago. It appears interesting. It's a shame that it's only single player.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorque View Post
                I purchased the game 2 nights ago. It appears interesting. It's a shame that it's only single player.
                I think the market is lacking in good single-player experiences. Some games like Modern Warfare 2 have nice single-player campaigns, but they are short and the focus of the game is always on the multiplayer. I like to enjoy both, but most games are a mix or don't focus on the single player (which I find disappointing).

Comment

Tried to make 3rd run with melee oriented PC backing Ceasar Legion but stoped halfway; for all his knowlege about correct latin pronatiotion Ceasar is still a thug and his Rome is caricature of the oryginal. To add insult to injury Keiser Soze is not charismatic at all and his quests are pure hack and slash.

Wait I manged to complete this run; Arizona Killer and tu tumor contra me were fun to play.

And how you can't love BIG IRON and JOHNIE GUITAR. This game is better than I dared to hope.
                  Kosovo is Serbian.

Comment

Originally posted by daemonofdecay View Post
                    I think the market is lacking in good single-player experiences. Some games like Modern Warfare 2 have nice single-player campaigns, but they are short and the focus of the game is always on the multiplayer. I like to enjoy both, but most games are a mix or don't focus on the single player (which I find disappointing).
                    I can't agree with you enough on this. Good single player games, IMHO, are becoming a rarity and many of the multi-player games that keep track of scores, medals and unlocks have become a cheaters heaven.

Comment

Tried to make 3rd run with melee oriented PC backing Ceasar Legion but stoped halfway; for all his knowlege about correct latin pronatiotion Ceasar is still a thug and his Rome is caricature of the oryginal. To add insult to injury Keiser Soze is not charismatic at all and his quests are pure hack and slash.

Wait I manged to complete this run; Arizona Killer and tu tumor contra me were fun to play.

And how you can't love BIG IRON and JOHNIE GUITAR. This game is better than I dared to hope.
                      My melee focused Ceasar playthrough was the most fun I had in the four times I finished the game.

Comment

Originally posted by jayedub7423 View Post
                        My melee focused Ceasar playthrough was the most fun I had in the four times I finished the game.
                        All were fun: NCR sniper, Indi Cowboy and CL gladius/chainsaw user; I'm still to make Ms House lasgun run... but I'll wait for gold version to this.
                        Kosovo is Serbian.

Comment

All were fun: NCR sniper, Indi Cowboy and CL gladius/chainsaw user; I'm still to make Ms House lasgun run... but I'll wait for gold version to this.
                          My first playthrough was a NCR sniper, and that too was fun, specially when I finally picked up the anti-material rifle!

Comment

My first playthrough was a NCR sniper, and that too was fun, specially when I finally picked up the anti-material rifle!
                            Gobi + handmade bullets= Apocalipse Now level of badassary. One thing that game lacks is napalm strike from B-29.
                            Kosovo is Serbian.

Comment

Mine too, actually. I tried to replay with melee or energy weapons... but guns are much more fun to use than anything else. Now I'm trying to take over the strip myself on my second play-through, but once again I'm using guns.

But I found the regular sniper to be better than the anti-material rifle, especially on hardcore mode when the bullets weight a ton a piece.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X