Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CoD4 MW and CoD WaW - Hardware upgrade?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Hi, my new comp is Win 7 of course. I don't generally play computer games but I might buy the new Starcraft when I have time. I plan on using my comp as a trading/browsing platform/work platform.

    I got a $130 discount on the Ram upgrade so I just upped it from 6 GB standard. I was in BB the other day and I think the videocard retailed for $150-200 (not sure)

    My specs are:

    ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB
    12GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
    Intel Core i7-860 processor(8MB Cache, 2.80GHz)

    As for "future proofing", I guess the video card might need changes to keep up with future standards ie. +2, 3 years but it's not a big deal to me. but heh, I do like the big Ram reservoir and I hope it will eventually prove itself...
    Great CPU, and the GPU is fine. You should have no trouble running any games I can think of.
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Panther3485 View Post
      Great CPU, and the GPU is fine. You should have no trouble running any games I can think of.
      ^^... Than you are not so much into gaming i guess.
      Most recent games will only run barely on this system.

      The CPU is nice and no problem.
      12 GB Ram is unnecessary for gaming since most games won't run any faster with more than the usual 4 GB. It doesn't hurt either. Most games will take advantage of fast Ram. Like DDR3 1600. The 1333 is on the slow end for gaming purposes. And since a bargain deal was mentioned i guess the overclocking potential will be minimal to non existent.
      The real bottleneck is the HD5670.
      This is a low end card for about ~100 . If you use that it wouldn't even matter if you hade a i7-980X and all the Ram in the world. Most games will only run barly if at all.
      If you want to play recent gams without the looking gruesome and have decent minimum frames you should at least use a HD5770 or comparable card. For high end Shooters and some future potential a HD5870 or comparable Nvidia card would be needed.
      Last edited by schnuersi; 15 Aug 10, 10:06.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by schnuersi View Post
        ^^... Than you are not so much into gaming i guess.
        Most recent games will only run barely on this system."
        Not sure how 'into' gaming I would need to be.

        I did say any games I can think of. And I was trying to reassure the guy his system would be OK. Certainly, most of the newer games I have would likely run OK on that system, I think, so long as you don't get too ambitious with the settings. That includes CoD MW2 and DCS: Black Shark, both of which run very well indeed on my own. (OK, OK, Black Shark would be pushing it on his but that's a 'niche' helicopter sim that very few people run. )

        These 5670 video cards are definitely at the 'budget' end of the market and although I am an Nvidia man myself and not fully familiar with the ATI models by any means, from reviews I've read recently an HD 5750 would only cost slightly more than the 1GB 5670 and offer significantly more 'bang for the buck'.

        I agree the 12GB RAM is huge overkill and unnecessary. Perhaps the extra money would have been better spent on a somewhat better GPU, at least the 5750 mentioned above if not better, to allow higher settings/resolutions?

        I do recall recently advising a friend based on the specs in his box, assuming his desired game settings and monitor's native resolution were similar to mine. When I visited him a few weeks later I saw he was running his games on a 19" monitor at 1280x1024. Go figure. Guess he wasn't a 'serious' gamer either.
        Last edited by panther3485; 15 Aug 10, 11:10.
        "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
        Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by schnuersi View Post
          ^^... Than you are not so much into gaming i guess.
          Most recent games will only run barely on this system.

          The CPU is nice and no problem.
          12 GB Ram is unnecessary for gaming since most games won't run any faster with more than the usual 4 GB. It doesn't hurt either. Most games will take advantage of fast Ram. Like DDR3 1600. The 1333 is on the slow end for gaming purposes. And since a bargain deal was mentioned i guess the overclocking potential will be minimal to non existent.
          The real bottleneck is the HD5670.
          This is a low end card for about ~100 . If you use that it wouldn't even matter if you hade a i7-980X and all the Ram in the world. Most games will only run barly if at all.
          If you want to play recent gams without the looking gruesome and have decent minimum frames you should at least use a HD5770 or comparable card. For high end Shooters and some future potential a HD5870 or comparable Nvidia card would be needed.
          Yea, I spent $1,600 on this computer w/ trimmings (and w/24 inch HD monitor). It's not a gaming PC.

          Just received the new computer and been lovin' windows 7. I'm not much of a gamer so it's not really a big deal for me. I d/l the COD Modern Warfare demo and MOH Airborne demos and they came out really well. But I understand that these are more like last generation games..
          Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
          Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
          Barbarossa Derailed I & II
          Battle of Kalinin October 1941

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
            Yea, I spent $1,600 on this computer w/ trimmings (and w/24 inch HD monitor). It's not a gaming PC.

            Just received the new computer and been lovin' windows 7. I'm not much of a gamer so it's not really a big deal for me. I d/l the COD Modern Warfare demo and MOH Airborne demos and they came out really well. But I understand that these are more like last generation games..
            I doubt that you can run COD4 and MoH Airborne (wich is s*** btw) with max settings in 1920x1080. Because of the 5670.
            I can understand that not everyone is hardcore about games and want to safe money IMHO getting the best performance for you money should be priority.
            The 5670 goes for ~100 . But its performance is low. For ~150 you would get a 5770 and these perform pretty good.
            I am currently using a Sapphire HD5770 Vapor-X OC on my secondary PC. On this system BF Bad Company 2 runs soomth in 1680*1050 with most settings maxed and most festures activated. So its really worth its money.
            But in 1950*1080 it propably wouldn't. For this you need a powerfull GPU.

            Unless you settle for low or intermediate graphics settings. But once you experienced how games could look this is not an option anymore.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by schnuersi View Post
              I doubt that you can run COD4 and MoH Airborne (wich is s*** btw) with max settings in 1920x1080. Because of the 5670.
              I can understand that not everyone is hardcore about games and want to safe money IMHO getting the best performance for you money should be priority.
              The 5670 goes for ~100 . But its performance is low. For ~150 you would get a 5770 and these perform pretty good.
              I am currently using a Sapphire HD5770 Vapor-X OC on my secondary PC. On this system BF Bad Company 2 runs soomth in 1680*1050 with most settings maxed and most festures activated. So its really worth its money.
              But in 1950*1080 it propably wouldn't. For this you need a powerfull GPU.

              Unless you settle for low or intermediate graphics settings. But once you experienced how games could look this is not an option anymore.
              I used Max settings for the Airborne Game and COD4. COD4 looked great..almost perfect. They look like the pictures on gamespot..I don't know that much about graphics cards, but I checked my task manager as I was running these games and Ram usage was around 2 out of 12.. (heh).

              Yea, MOH is a pretty buggy game. The guns are obnoxious as hell to shoot and the enemy soldiers behave like confused deer, (which is actually kind of interesting as it makes them unpredictable). I like the free-for all land- anywhere concept, though.
              Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
              Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
              Barbarossa Derailed I & II
              Battle of Kalinin October 1941

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
                "I used Max settings for the Airborne Game and COD4. COD4 looked great..almost perfect. They look like the pictures on gamespot..I don't know that much about graphics cards, but I checked my task manager as I was running these games and Ram usage was around 2 out of 12.. (heh)."
                Considering the budget range GPU, that's actually quite impressive on a 24" monitor. I assume you are running at 'native' resolution, like, 1920x1080 or 1920x1200?
                "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I don't remember, I just maxed everything out. I've uninstalled both games.

                  This is a dejavu experience for me. I have not owned any computer games since the first call of duty. I've been looking at what's been released over over the past two years and I don't know if there has been any innovative artistic achievement in PC gaming at all. It seems to be a long lineup of 'more of the same'. The only recently released game with good art direction and story seems to be Bioshock.
                  Last edited by Cult Icon; 15 Aug 10, 20:24.
                  Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
                  Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
                  Barbarossa Derailed I & II
                  Battle of Kalinin October 1941

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
                    "I don't remember, I just maxed everything out. I've uninstalled both games."
                    I guess it's possible that even though you cranked up the game settings, the resolution may have been lower than your monitor's 'native'. I've noticed that a good number of games I install - even the newer ones - by default still seem to be set to run at lower resolutions and you have to adjust this yourself. Of course, with all the other 'in-game' graphics settings maxed it would still look pretty good, even at - for example - 1024x768.


                    Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
                    "This is a dejavu experience for me. I have not owned any computer games since the first call of duty. I've been looking at what's been released over over the past two years and I don't know if there has been any innovative artistic achievement in PC gaming at all. It seems to be a long lineup of 'more of the same'. The only recently released game with good art direction and story seems to be Bioshock."
                    IMO, a lot of the newer games are just that; 'more of the same' but with better graphics of course. There are some exceptions though, in every genre, depending on your taste and preferences.

                    Then there are the 'evergreens'. Older games/sims that still shine. For example, IL-2 Sturmovik 1946, which has been out for several years now but IMO is still just about the best WW2 combat flight sim/game. I remember when it was released and the system I had at the time struggled to run it at the higher settings. My current system can play it maxed out, at 1920x1200 with both arms tied behind its back. Mind you, I have to edit the conf.ini file to make it go up to that resolution.
                    Last edited by panther3485; 16 Aug 10, 03:18.
                    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Panther3485 View Post
                      Mind you, I have to edit the conf.ini file to make it go up to that resolution.
                      Hacker!

                      Comment

                      Latest Topics

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X