No announcement yet.

CoD4 MW and CoD WaW - Hardware upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoD4 MW and CoD WaW - Hardware upgrade?

Hi guys,

My current system seems to cope quite well with CoD4 Modern Warfare, which I can run on my 24" TFT at 1920x1200, with reasonably good settings and it barely ever hesitates even during brisk action.

I just got CoD World at War for Christmas and I noticed a difference immediately. At the same resolution, I had to turn anti-aliasing completely off and keep the other settings fairly modest to stop it from looking like a glorified slideshow. Even now it still chugs a bit here and there when the action gets frantic.

It seems fair to assume then, that CoD WaW is somewhat more demanding on resources?

My current system:

Motherboard - ASUS P5K-E WiFi-AP w/Intel P35 Express chipset
    CPU - Intel Core2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz 1333 MHz FSB 4 MB L2 cache
    RAM - 2 GB Corsair ‘Twin2X xms2’ DDR2 800/PC6400 (2 x 1 GB sticks)
    GPU - ASUS EN8600GT (GeForce) HDTV-Out Dual DVI 256 MB DDR3
    HDD - 2 x Western Digital ‘Raptor’ WDC WD740ADFD 74 GB
    10,000 rpm SATA2 w/16 MB cache. Set up in RAID 0
    Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 24-bit 7.1
    Monitor - LG Flatron L246WH Widescreen 24” TFT LCD
    OS - Windows XP Pro SP3

I am thinking that the 8600GT could use swapping out for something with a bit more punch but the latest 260-280 series cards are still pricey here, a quick look showing they range from A$440.00 for the cheapest GTX 260 I can find up to A$934.85 for the most expensive GTX 280 from the same dealer. Looking at the 9 series cards proved somewhat more reassuring though, with the most basic 9800GTs going for about A$200, ranging up to a nice looking 9800GTX+ for A$378.25. The latter would be within my planned budget as I would like to keep the cost below A$400.00 if possible. The card in question is listed as:

ASUS GeForce 9800GTX+ - 512MB DDR3, 256-bit, 2x DVI, HDTV, HDCP - PCI-Ex16 v2.0 (775MHz, 2.36GHz) - Dark Knight TOP Edition

Does anyone know anything about this GPU generally, and this card in particular? Do you think it represents good 'bang for the buck'? Finally, what's the score with PCI-Ex16 v2.0? Is v2.0 compatible with my motherboard?
    Last edited by panther3485; 27 Dec 08, 02:13.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

You may want to take a look at the latest ATIs. I have heard some very good things.

Comment

Originally posted by -snafu- View Post
      "You may want to take a look at the latest ATIs. I have heard some very good things."
      Any particular recommendations, within my price limit?
      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Well I see you originally wanted the 9800GTX+. The ATI HD4850 is in the same league but cheaper. I found one here for 375 AUD* (I can't link to the page for some reason so you will have to search it).

http://www.gamedude.com.au/

Item Code: viPAhd4870_512_sonic

PALIT HD4870 SONIC 512MB GDDR5 NATIVE HDMI DISPLAY PORT DVI CoreClock:775MHz TURBO
        However, if you want to spend a little bit more get the HD4870 which will give you extra performance.

Also, here is a list of Aussie PC component sites for you to bargain hunt:

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/28861-...australia.html

* Quite a few of these cards are a bit above your budget, like 25AUD.

Comment

Originally posted by -snafu- View Post
          Well I see you originally wanted the 9800GTX+. The ATI HD4850 is in the same league but cheaper. I found one here for 375 AUD* (I can't link to the page for some reason so you will have to search it).

http://www.gamedude.com.au/

However, if you want to spend a little bit more get the HD4870 which will give you extra performance.

Also, here is a list of Aussie PC component sites for you to bargain hunt:

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/28861-...australia.html

* Quite a few of these cards are a bit above your budget, like 25AUD.
          Thanks mate!

If a card is really good 'bang for buck' value, $A25.00 over-budget would be acceptable, I guess.

Comment

I own a high-end system and the bloody thing (WaW) still drags along when I let loose my flamethrower!
            馬兒不死,吾無葬地也 ~ 曹操

Comment

Originally posted by Marcarl View Post
              I own a high-end system and the bloody thing (WaW) still drags along when I let loose my flamethrower!
              What are the specs of your system? Before my last upgrade around 12 months ago, my system specs were:

Originally posted by Panther3485 View Post
              Motherboard - ASUS P5K-E WiFi-AP w/Intel P35 Express chipset
              CPU - Intel Core2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz 1333 MHz FSB 4 MB L2 cache
              RAM - 2 GB Corsair ‘Twin2X xms2’ DDR2 800/PC6400 (2 x 1 GB sticks)
              GPU - ASUS EN8600GT (GeForce) HDTV-Out Dual DVI 256 MB DDR3
              HDD - 2 x Western Digital ‘Raptor’ WDC WD740ADFD 74 GB
              Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 24-bit 7.1
              OS - Windows XP Pro SP3
              And I've now got (changed components in green):

Motherboard - ASUS P7P55D-EVO LGA1156 w/Intel P55 Express chipset
              CPU - Intel Core i7 860, 2.80GHz, 8MB L3 Cache Quad Core Turbo Boost
              RAM - 4GB Kingston KHX1600C8D3K2/4GX 1600MHz DDR3 (2 x 2GB sticks)
              GPU - ASUS ENGTX275, 896MB DDR3, PCIE2.0, 633Mhz
              HDD - 2 x 150GB Western Digital ‘VelociRaptor’

Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium 24-bit 7.1 PCIE
              OS - Windows XP Pro SP3

This was enough of an upgrade to allow CoD WaW to run very smoothly, at the same resolution (1920 x 1200) but with much higher settings than before.

I'm about due for another extensive upgrade (probably new mobo again, I'm thinking), unless I can get away with just upgrading the GPU and/or CPU.
              Last edited by panther3485; 04 Aug 10, 05:27.

Comment

I just ordered a new computer from dell:

Ram: 12 GB
                Video Card- ATI- 1 GB
                Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
                Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
                Barbarossa Derailed I & II
                Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
                  I just ordered a new computer from dell:

Ram: 12 GB
                  Video Card- ATI- 1 GB
                  What CPU and GPU does it have?

Comment

You should try building one yourself. I did it last year and was easier than I thought it would be.

Isn't 12GB RAM a bit overkill for standard browsing and gaming? I only have 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie View Post
                      You should try building one yourself. I did it last year and was easier than I thought it would be.

'Only' 6

AFAIK, 12GB is more RAM than any current publicly sold games/sims could reasonably be expected to use, even with the fastest available home PC CPU (which costs more than some whole systems) and insane amounts of money thrown at all the other key hardware.

On the other hand, is Cult Icon 'future ready' with that amount of RAM, or what?

IIRC, my current mobo is good for 16GB (and I nearly bought one that supports 24GB) but by the time I need to use that much RAM, I'll be at least two more motherboards down the track, I reckon.

Of course, using XP still (not ready for Windows 7 yet and I refused to touch Vista with a bargepole), anything more than about 3GB wouldn't be used anyway. I'll probably go to Win7 in my next major upgrade.
                      Last edited by panther3485; 06 Aug 10, 04:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther3485 View Post
                        'Only' 6

AFAIK, 12GB is more RAM than any current publicly sold games/sims could reasonably be expected to use, even with the fastest available home PC CPU (which costs more than some whole systems) and insane amounts of money thrown at all the other key hardware.

On the other hand, is Cult Icon 'future ready' with that amount of RAM, or what?

IIRC, my current mobo is good for 16GB (and I nearly bought one that supports 24GB) but by the time I need to use that much RAM, I'll be at least two more motherboards down the track, I reckon.

Of course, using XP still (not ready for Windows 7 yet and I refused to touch Vista with a bargepole), anything more than about 3GB wouldn't be used anyway. I'll probably go to Win7 in my next major upgrade.
                        Yeah, only 6, poor me!

I'm currently using Win 7 64 which uses more than 4GB RAM hence the 6 although I don't think any games even use more than 4. ArmA 2 doesn't even use 2GB.

If Cult Icon has other absolute top quality parts then it will be future proof to some extent. Future Proofing is fighting a losing battle IMHO.

Comment

"I'm currently using Win 7 64 which uses more than 4GB RAM hence the 6 although I don't think any games even use more than 4. ArmA 2 doesn't even use 2GB."
                          Yep, spot on. My current system seems to be able to handle any of the recent games well but if it was falling short, it would not be due to insufficient RAM.

"If Cult Icon has other absolute top quality parts then it will be future proof to some extent. Future Proofing is fighting a losing battle IMHO."
                          Agreed again. 'Future proofing' is only ever going to be "to some extent", with the "some" being not very much it you want to stay at or somewhere near the cutting edge with the latest games. Too many things change too fast. I've more or less resigned myself to a 'total' new build (new mobo, CPU, RAM at the least) at no greater than 2 year intervals; with lesser upgrades - such as the GPU - at the in-between years.

Of course, it all takes money and while I'm fairly comfortable I don't have so much I can throw it away. Fortunately, my system is one of three in the household with my wife and son each having their own. This allows for hardware to 'go down the chain' each time I upgrade. I also have three other family members outside my household whose needs are less demanding and they are more than happy to catch 'hand-me-down' bits. So most of the hardware actually gets used for quite a few years and as a family, we get very good value out of it.

Comment

Hi, my new comp is Win 7 of course. I don't generally play computer games but I might buy the new Starcraft when I have time. I plan on using my comp as a trading/browsing platform/work platform.

I got a $130 discount on the Ram upgrade so I just upped it from 6 GB standard. I was in BB the other day and I think the videocard retailed for $150-200 (not sure)

My specs are:

ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB
                            12GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
                            Intel Core i7-860 processor(8MB Cache, 2.80GHz)

As for "future proofing", I guess the video card might need changes to keep up with future standards ie. +2, 3 years but it's not a big deal to me. but heh, I do like the big Ram reservoir and I hope it will eventually prove itself...

Comment

I thought about doing that but it seems to entail a chunk of time commitment (to learn more about all the parts) and I just got lazy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X