Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you in these forums know about WWIIOnline?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you in these forums know about WWIIOnline?

The subject is a valid question. For almost 18 years, folks have been re-fighting the german invasion of France and the Low Countries, on a half-sized scale map of Europe, with historically accurate equipment, ballistics, damage modeling, etc. The game pre-dates the birth of this magazine/community. And yet, how many people even know about it?

If you play Hearts of Iron (whichever version you prefer), you should check WWIIOnline out, as there is a player-led strategic level to the game.

If you play any WWII FPS, you should try WWIIOnline. Battles in COD last for 15 or so minutes, if memory serves. Then it's off to the next map/game, most likely with new people and so on. Battles in WWIIOnline last as long as they need to, i.e. there is no time limit.

I have been involved in the WWIIOnline community since before the game came out. It is huge in scope, and although I have played (and adored) Hearts of Iron (II was my favorite for those scoring at home), it doesn't measure up to WWIIOnline, where your Generals have the option of watching TV instead of playing, i.e. where true leadership has to happen or the orders given are meaningless. I have played most of the COD games (I didn't bother with the ones where running along walls was an option), extensively both in campaign and online, but COD, although the graphics are admittedly far better than WWIIOnline's, simply doesn't match up with what can be done in WWIIOnline. If memory serves, 32 or so people can duke it out in COD on a 1 or 2 square kilometer 'map'. WWIIOnline has no such limiter----there can (and have been) battles with over a thousand people involved simultaneously----as Infantrymen, anti-tank towed guns, tanks, fighter planes, bombers, and so on.

In WWIIOnline, one can drive (or fly, or walk) from Dunkirk to Frankfurt. Not enough tanks in your town to hold off the hun? Drive them up from another town, or contact your player-led High Command to move another brigade into your area.

Anyway, it's a great game. The learning curve is steep, but not as steep as HOI. The infantry gameplay is not perfect, but then again people aren't running along walls, or jumping all over the place, either. The graphics aren't as good as COD's, but then again when I fire a tank round, and a truck gets in the way of the round before it arrives on my intended target, the truck gets hit, (the rounds in-game actually travel, which is not the norm in FPS games---well it wasn't, other games are starting to move into that realm, finally).

Ask me about the game. I can help. It has a Free to Play option with limited access to equipment. There is also DLC available, and full-on subscriptions. For the cost of 1 large pizza per month from your local non-chain pizza joint, you can access all equipment (once you earn rank). 1 large pizza will not be missed once you are immersed in 1940 France's quest to survive (or 1940 Germany's quest to conquer).

S!

Spam.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Not spam. I didn't quite know where best to put it, so I posted it on MMO, which WWIIOnline is, FPS games, which WWIIOnline is, and milsims, which WWIIOnline also is. I will leave it to those in charge to decide where best to put a discussion about WWIIOnline.

S!

Comment

There was a flightsim, perhaps one of the first MMO games, called Warbirds that I played many moons ago. Some of the people that worked on Warbirds split off and created WWIIOnline. I actually played the beta by special invitation. It was pretty bad when it first came out so I lost interests but one of my friends still plays it. Those were the days is about all I have to say.
        We hunt the hunters

Comment

Well, the sim part of it has improved over the years, Wolfhnd, as has the modeled equipment list. It spreads out from 1940 onwards, so towards the end of some of the longer campaigns one will see P-38s flying around. I would be interested in your thoughts on how the game has progressed since your beta time, if you're willing to take another look at it.

S!

Comment

The axis is attempting to break thru at specific spots in Northern France. For the past 24 hours, they have been alternating between hitting: La Fere, Bohain, Tournai, and Landrecies. Their intention is clear: To either break thru by force of arms, or attrit Allied forces to the point where the axis can not only take one or more of the towns, but exploit the resulting lack of Allied man and material, with an eye towards taking the remaining factory towns to satisfy victory conditions as they sit today.

The Allies have improved their defensive efforts, in part because they have been fighting over the same ground for days now. The Allies have made it quite difficult for the axis to set up their mobile spawns, and have been interdicting axis forward bases via air and ground efforts.

Comment

I saw an online game boasting of an update that included "PzIII!!!", while also boasting of its historical accuracy. I wonder which PzIII the update includes? It would be nice to know, as version has much to do with combat effectiveness.

I mean, I know that early in a WWIIOnline campaign I'll be fighting against PzIIIF models, which are formidable, but killable. When the PzIIIH arrives in battle, it gets a little more difficult, as the IIIH can kill at longer ranges, and has better armor than the IIIF. In-game, it's arguable as to whether the arrival of the IIIH has an even larger effect on the battlefield than when the Tigers arrive in later tiers.

S!

Comment

Unlike other FPS games, WWIIOnline has no player limit, i.e. it won't be 8 on 8, or 12 on 12, or even 40 v 40 as in some of the more recent WWII titles. WWIIOnline has no limit. If there are 1000 people trying to take and/or defend a town, then 1000 players are involved in the battle. Players see a limit of 64 at any given moment, but the game prioritizes things for you, to make sure you don't get shot by something that wasn't on your screen.

I have seen tank columns of 40+ tanks running into a defensive position literally crawling with enemy troops and tanks, while overhead furball after furball can be seen, (in between strafing runs). Intense doesn't cover it.

Comment

The players run the respective High Commands, placing Brigades as they see fit, (and dealing with the consequences whether positive or negative). High Command members decide where to place an AO (attack), with the number of attacks/AOs being dependent on in-game population (the idea being to have battles as opposed to 50 guys attacking 50 towns simultaneously).

High Command members decide which defensive objectives (and attacks) should be reinforced, which should be left alone, and which should be abandoned.

In-game, Engineers have a multitude of PPOs available to them, to include: Foxholes, 2 types of sandbag 'walls', a covered firing position for ATGs (or INF), along with 2 types of barbed wire, and tank traps. Thus, no battle is ever really the same as the last one, whether it is in the same town or not.

Comment

In the air, and depending on how far along the campaign is, (no artificial time-constrained victory conditions in WWIIOnline), one might see Bleinhem bombers being chased by 109s, or Stukas and He111s raining hell down on the Allied side while dodging French 520s and early British Hurricanes and Spitfires. Later on, the german side gets different variants of the 190s, and the Allies add later versions of the Spits and Hurricanes, along with newer attack bombers (Havoc), and the P-38 fork tailed devil.

All interacting with ground forces in positive or negative ways depending on mission types.

Comment

Campaign 161 started a couple of days ago. To mix things up, the campaign started in Tier 3 (roughly speaking, 1943, but with 1940 starting points). Thus, the Americans 'have arrived', and the axis it attempting to head west with far better equipment than they had in 1940.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X