• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowygerry
    replied
    This is cut from another post here,

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...vicious-outlaw

Originally posted by slick24 View Post
    (....) A short time later, Bass dropped his gun and it accidentally went off. All hell broke loose. Selman, as well as Texas Ranger Joe McKidrict who was in the neighborhood, ran to see about the commotion.

As both tried to calm down the drunken gunman, Outlaw pointed his gun at McKidrict and shot him in the head and back, killing him instantly. Outlaw then fired at Selman, nearly striking him in the face and causing deep powder burns. Selman returned fire, hitting Outlaw just above the heart. As Bass staggered back he fired two more shots, hitting Selman above the right knee and in the thigh. Bass then staggered into the street where surrendered to Texas Ranger Frank McMahon. He died four hours later. John Selman was then put on trial for killing Outlaw, but the judge instructed [him to go an pay off his 100$ bounty ].
    This is a really well done game, the storyline missions are a bit tiresome, but confused, random shootings like the one above are quite common and great fun, and..as it turns out quite "historical"..

A bit strange it hasn't drawn more attention here ?
    Last edited by Snowygerry; 11 Feb 19, 03:27.

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    Well after playing a bit more, one aspect this one shares with the original is, in general, the more story-line missions you complete the worse in-game situation becomes..

When you set out, all things considered, your situation is acceptable.

You have a sizeable gang, a good camp, plenty of ways to make enough money to cover basic needs.

Then one mission after another the situation escalates and deteriorates, to the point I'm beginning to wonder if it might not be a better idea to just shoot Dutch, and spend my remaining days sitting by the campfire sipping coffee, maybe a nice hunting trip now and again, rather then go along with another one of the hair-brained, destined-to-go-wrong schemes they always come up with

Last edited by Snowygerry; 21 Jan 19, 08:18.

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Imperial View Post
    () I've seen guys putting many slugs into enemy NPCs and they were still running around.
    Pistol rounds (or small calibre in general) to "non-essential" body parts tend to have that result yes, probably a design choice for gameplay purposes.

It works both ways, as you can stand a fair bit of incoming fire before dying, and of course there's the dead-eye function to help you score 1-shot kills.

A "more lethal hits" option would be something to consider, but then again many of the misssions are shooting galeries with a multitude of enemies shooting at you all at once.

Last edited by Snowygerry; 07 Jan 19, 09:05.

Leave a comment:

• Cult Icon
    replied
    awesome demonstration of RDR2 weapons in real life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN6-mLD7K5k

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

Well, first the quality of the video is extremely high. All the detail is high: time of day or night, weather, different climates...it is amazing. Your hair and beard grow, you gain or lose weight depending on your eating habits, you need sleep, you need to bathe...these sound trivial but the way they are built into the game makes it part of the resource planning. You can ignore them if you like.

Secondly, the interaction of the world is amazing. If you burst through a set of doors into a building, people visibly and vocally respond to the violence of your entrance.

You can hunt, fish, and explore; I've spent probably 60 hours just wandering around doing just that and interacting with random NPCs.

There are loads of side missions, large and small. And all that without mentioning the extensive core missions.

I haven't tried the online version yet, so I cant comment on the multiplayer, but I've put over 100 hours into solo play and stand at 60% of the core content completed.

The combat system is good; the enemy uses cover, tries to flank, and generally fights well. Two bullets from most weapons, or one from the heavier, will drop most Humans; a single head shot from any weapon will kill. But as in real life, in the pressure of action more tends to be applied than needed.

The gambling mini-games are solid; I haven't spent as much time at them as I have hunting or fishing, but I have logged some hours.

Basically, the game provides a genuine sense of freedom.
    I agree on everything you posted. It's one of the best games I've ever played.

I love the snow effects on the ground up in the mountains.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Imperial View Post
    Why is it utterly amazing? I'd like to hear more from you on this.
    I've watched a lot of vids on the net (because I don't have a console so playing this would require an investment and the need to adapt to stuff I never used before) and the game seems kind of bland.
    The physics also look strange. I've seen guys putting many slugs into enemy NPCs and they were still running around. Also, is this thing multiplayer too or only player vs. NPCs?
    Well, first the quality of the video is extremely high. All the detail is high: time of day or night, weather, different climates...it is amazing. Your hair and beard grow, you gain or lose weight depending on your eating habits, you need sleep, you need to bathe...these sound trivial but the way they are built into the game makes it part of the resource planning. You can ignore them if you like.

Secondly, the interaction of the world is amazing. If you burst through a set of doors into a building, people visibly and vocally respond to the violence of your entrance.

You can hunt, fish, and explore; I've spent probably 60 hours just wandering around doing just that and interacting with random NPCs.

There are loads of side missions, large and small. And all that without mentioning the extensive core missions.

I haven't tried the online version yet, so I cant comment on the multiplayer, but I've put over 100 hours into solo play and stand at 60% of the core content completed.

The combat system is good; the enemy uses cover, tries to flank, and generally fights well. Two bullets from most weapons, or one from the heavier, will drop most Humans; a single head shot from any weapon will kill. But as in real life, in the pressure of action more tends to be applied than needed.

The gambling mini-games are solid; I haven't spent as much time at them as I have hunting or fishing, but I have logged some hours.

Basically, the game provides a genuine sense of freedom.

Leave a comment:

• Imperial
    replied
    Why is it utterly amazing? I'd like to hear more from you on this.
    I've watched a lot of vids on the net (because I don't have a console so playing this would require an investment and the need to adapt to stuff I never used before) and the game seems kind of bland.
    The physics also look strange. I've seen guys putting many slugs into enemy NPCs and they were still running around. Also, is this thing multiplayer too or only player vs. NPCs?

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by dgfred View Post
    One of my baseball sim buddies took a day off work just to play... he loves it.
    If you liked the first, you'll love it. I just spent six hours just wandering around hunting, fishing, and seeing the sights.

Leave a comment:

• dgfred
    replied
    One of my baseball sim buddies took a day off work just to play... he loves it.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    started a topic Red Dead Redemption 2 is amazing.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is amazing.

Got it on pre-order, starting playing at 0001 Firday. Have about 25 hours logged so far, and it is utterly amazing.

My only complaint so far is that I have to adjourn to the Net to sort out key commands, for example how to use optional scope sights. The scenarios are straightforward; the of the mini-games I've only found domino and Texas hold'em, bot of which are fun. I haven't tried five finger fillet, and blackjack has not shown up yet (or I haven't encountered it).

Hunting is utterly amazing; I have only tried fishing once but it seems promising.

I will say the help feature is not the best, but every question I've needed answered was easily found on Google.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X