• Gamespy Crysis Review

Here is the latest 3 page review of Crysis from Gamespy:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/ea-crytek-t.../839785p1.html

BTW, a modder over at Crymod.com has made a autoexec file that gives the

game much more graphic ability from an older PC system. I run the game on

about the lowest settings and it did wonders for what I see now. Framerates

were improved too. I really love the SP maps but the MP is way off base for

me. They need to create a co-op mode in MP to take advantage of the

fantastic maps that SP is using and modders are making....

JIM
    If you're not taking losses, you're not doing enough.
    RAdm. Kelly Turner, USN

www.fairtax.org

Thanks for the info.

For those who had converted to Vista already, like I have, and is puking blood because of the graphics performance downgrade that came with Dx10, we can play Crysis in the Dx9 mode. Just insert [space]-DX9 after the .exe file address under shortcut property.

I can testify that running Crysis on Dx9 provides better performance than running it on Dx10, if you don't have the latest high-end graphics card.

Comment

To analyze your PC to see if it can run Crysis, here is a great tool:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com...option_id=5426

JIM
      RAdm. Kelly Turner, USN

www.fairtax.org

Comment

Thanks. My problem is that I'm using a low-end 8400 card. Can't help it. Came with the computer in one package.

Ya ya, I know. If I want it right, I should have built the darn thing myself.

Comment

As much as I want to like this game, it's still crap. Yes, the visuals are beyond belief, especially if your running a uber DX10 machine like myself with everything maxed out at a 1400x900 resolution. That said, beyond the graphics, it's a mediocre shooter at best. And most of the reviewers tend to agree with me. However, as bland as the PC market is today, I'm certain that this will be hailed as the grand PC shooter...lame...I've seen better AI in console shooters several years back. If this is the next-gen of PC gaming, I'll be making the move to the 360 for certain.

It's certainly pretty to look at, but that's about it.

Spot on.
          http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/reviews/1685/Crysis.html

Comment

I really love to play the SP side of this game and YES, my PC is over
            2 years old. I don't need to play it with the throttle floored (I certainly
            don't drive my vehicle that way) The graphics are still way ahead of what
            I have seen yet. I won't play MP till they get co-op with SP style maps.
            The MP side as it is now is crap. This engine makes the COD engine seem
            like old EGA graphics. The alien storyline I don't care for at all. The NK bots
            are all I require for a good FPS and they react very well, at least in my games. If I invested another $1000. in upgrades to my PC, could I see the
            game graphics better. Probably but for FREE, I see them well enough now !!

JIM
            RAdm. Kelly Turner, USN

www.fairtax.org

Comment

reviewer consensus seems to be that the NK got the cream of the crop when it came to AI and react very realistically, but the Alien AI is lacking. Besides most hail the non-linear (other than story and mission) way that you can approach your missions. Super strength to hop the fence and get in, just go in the front guns blazing, stealth in, etc etc.
              The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Ya. I agree about the aliens. I've replayed the game several times, and I invariably stop just after shooting the General. Not much fun after that.

Comment

I loved Far Cry and I was looking forward to Crysis - at first I was disappointed, but I think this was partly because I can only run the thing at medium settings despite exceeding all the requirements by some degree (go figure) but the more I play the better I like it.

That said, it doesn't grip me as much as Far Cry did, perhaps because that was such a gorgeous game and the first one I had seen with an insane draw-distance, and I find the whole suit thing to be a waste of time really - just a gimmick. For a start, binding the suit controls to mouse button 3 doesn't work on my setup and the sprint and strength options run out so quickly it's not worth bothering. Every time you fire the gun in stealth mode you can be seen again - so that's a waste of time. I had better luck sneaking around an enemy camp at night in Far Cry - this is just pointless, so I find the best way is to just wade in Terminator style and hope for the best - anything else just takes too long and is really, really, pointless.

Dr. S.
                  Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Marines View Post
                    As much as I want to like this game, it's still crap. Yes, the visuals are beyond belief, especially if your running a uber DX10 machine like myself with everything maxed out at a 1400x900 resolution. That said, beyond the graphics, it's a mediocre shooter at best. And most of the reviewers tend to agree with me. However, as bland as the PC market is today, I'm certain that this will be hailed as the grand PC shooter...lame...I've seen better AI in console shooters several years back. If this is the next-gen of PC gaming, I'll be making the move to the 360 for certain.

It's certainly pretty to look at, but that's about it.

Spot on.
                    http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/reviews/1685/Crysis.html

Thanks for the link, an interesting read.

Comment

Originally posted by jayedub7423 View Post
                      Thanks for the link, an interesting read.
                      First and foremost, I'ts not like I don't like the game. I certainly don't love it, that's for sure. But much like STALKER, it didn't live up to the hype. Mediocrity is the name of the "game" here.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post
                        I had better luck sneaking around an enemy camp at night in Far Cry - this is just pointless, so I find the best way is to just wade in Terminator style and hope for the best - anything else just takes too long and is really, really, pointless.

Dr. S.
                        After a while, my method of dealing with the KPA hordes is to fire a few shots without silencer then cloak and wait for them to come running. When there's enough around me, I'll drop a grenade at my feet and get the hell out of there, trusting the suit to absorb some damage. Invariably gets a lot of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Marines View Post
                          First and foremost, I'ts not like I don't like the game. I certainly don't love it, that's for sure. But much like STALKER, it didn't live up to the hype. Mediocrity is the name of the "game" here.

I understand. I liked the review because it looked past all the hype and gave an objective view of the game. I'm sure I will like the game as well, I loved Far Cry.

Comment

An experienced modder & map-maker working with Crysis has done an SP map
                            with both friendly & NK enemy bots. He has also got them to fight. He is now
                            working to get them (friendlys) to accompany you (player) in your quest for
                            mission goals. Seems to be the next best thing to co-op MP. I love playing
                            Crysis in SP but I long for some buddies to fight along side me. If they can't be humans till the game is patched, then I will settle for some AI companions....

JIM
                            RAdm. Kelly Turner, USN

www.fairtax.org

Comment

Used to be that if a game had a strong single player and decent multiplayer, then that was good enough. But I think now developers need to start adding co-op to the mix. I would think that can only increase the longevity of a game!

My first co-op game was Serious Sam: The First Encounter, and it was alot of fun.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X