WWII Shooter Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII Shooter Recommendation

I'm finding that I have less time to play wargames than I would like, since they require a good bit of time for even one turn (unless it's a very small scenario). So now I'm looking for a game that I can spend a free 20 minutes or so on, where I run around and blow stuff up. I know there are a lot of WWII shooters out there, so I thought I'd start there. (I have Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, Doom, Quake, etc... but am looking for something less sci-fi.)

Any recommendations? Now before you start, also know that the computer that I will be playing on was new -- though not extremely high-end -- in 2004... so that's about the processor speed I have to deal with. Mobygames tells me that Call of Duty might fit the specs... but I'm open to any and all suggestions.
    "I am not an atomic playboy."
    Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

One of the CODs is where I would start. You can pop into a MP game
    and spend X amount of time there. The games just respawn you and
    repeat themselves on the servers. No biggie, you just play....

JIM
    If you're not taking losses, you're not doing enough.
    RAdm. Kelly Turner, USN

www.fairtax.org

Comment

Yeah, CoD (and/or the expansion) seems pretty good for running around and blowing stuff up, and your computer should be able to handle it pretty well.
      Oh, and the expansion, United Offensive, offers some vehicles to drive, i.e. jeeps and tanks, which depending on your interests could offer more fun than infantry battles.

Comment

The "UO" expansion also offers some much needed extra game types
        like "Base Assault". Be sure to upgrade to patch 1.51 before you go to MP
        servers....

JIM
        If you're not taking losses, you're not doing enough.
        RAdm. Kelly Turner, USN

www.fairtax.org

Comment

Get a Nintendo DS, you can take your wargames with you

Steel Horizon
          Panzer Tactics
          Brothers in Arms
          Tank Beat
          Age of Empires Age of Kings
          Life is change. Built models for decades.
          Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
          I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
            Get a Nintendo DS, you can take your wargames with you
            I have a laptop so I can take my wargames with me.

Comment

BF1942 is a good game to get as well
              "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

BF1942, CoD, and Day of Defeat are what I've spent a bit of time playing. All of them are quick jump in, play a bit, jump out types of games.
                If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Actually I recommend the Brothers in Arms games. Not only the game includes realistic first person shooting but also a tactics layer. Among other things, you can use the tactics layer to zoom out of the action and see a tactical position of the men and of the enemy. Military experts love this game and it was on the History Channel being used to tell war stories about famous infantry actions of WWII. I don't own the game but I played a demo. Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 had a 9.0 score and an Editor's Choice award at Gamespot.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                  --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

CoD is ok. But it gets repetative. I would recommend Brothers in Arms because of the added aspect of squad tactics with the focus on fire and movement.

Comment

It's all about "Brothers in Arms 2" for me. Best shooter I'll play until I can get my PS3 together with a Brothers in Arms sequel....

Both games have tons of extras worth geting the game for. AARs, pics, even a version of "Gory, Gory" (He ain't gonna jump no more).
                      "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I think I'll look for CoD, but I'll keep my eyes open for some of the others too.

Cheers.

Comment

Sounds like you have a laptop about the same age as mine. COD 1 should be OK but you may struggle with COD2 and above. You could also try the original MoH will should be OK but I would recommend BF1942 if you are after online games. There are a lot of mods for it out there. The 2 I would recommend are Dessert Combat and Forgotten Hope. Just ensure you have the latest versions.

Wolster

Comment

Originally posted by Wolster View Post
                            I would recommend BF1942 if you are after online games.
                            Nah, I'm not much of a twitch gamer, so I'd probably just suck at it pretty well. At least with single player, nobody else watches me get killed over and over again.

EDIT: Oh, and it's my desktop PC that I'm using. Too hard to do a FPS on a laptop with a touchpad! (Yes, I've tried.)

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
                              EDIT: Oh, and it's my desktop PC that I'm using. Too hard to do a FPS on a laptop with a touchpad! (Yes, I've tried.)
                              Sorry, you mentioned your laptop and I put 2 & 2 together to make 5. The only trouble with the single player games is they don't last long but CoD and MoH are your 2 main choices. CoD is probably better!
                              Wolster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X